What kind of harassment are you experiencing in your center?

rod

Retired 22 years
Is it poaching if you hit one with your chevy truck and drive it home with no headlights, perched precariously on your hood?
I didnt think so.

You know if you slice off a hunk of venison, wrap it in foil and put it on your exhaust manifold it is already cooked by the time you get home. Allow about 45 minutes per pack. Nummy:happy2:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I fell for that once and learned that they turned the feed back on before I was cleaned up.

Oh, I saw that stunt pulled a couple times. Once was on another sorter and another was on me. The other sorter got a 40 pound box dropped on his foot. Yours truly almost went down a slide when a 4 foot, 30 pound box hit me in the derriere. That big red button was right behind me. I slammed it so hard the sorter behind me thought I'd broken it lol. I refused to turn it back on until every box was off the grating. My p/t supe tried bullying me into turning it back on before the grating was clear. Two other sorters stepped in and demanded he call the full-timer and promised a call to safety if he didn't do it. He called the full-timer. Very unhappy full-timer when he got the whole story.

Ever seen them override your favorite red button? Not cool. A union steward got the belts turned off and refused to turn them back on until safety showed up. One supe was relieved on the spot, another transferred from his cushy control room post to a brutal outbound and a third was transferred to another sort.

Too much flow? They say "do the best you can". Twenty minutes later they come up with a paper stating my weak pieces per hour. bleh - go away kid, ya bother me.

haha...I loved when they'd come around with their little clipboard to time me. I was audited once during my first time with UPS when I was getting my a&# handed to me. The guy had the cajones to tell me to watch my handling and that I wasn't going fast enough! I saw the percentage he wrote down for acceptably handled packages and handed him back his clipboard, refusing to sign it, even to write RTS on it. I told him, "That's insulting. I'm not signing it. I'm busting it out up here and that's what you tell me? Tell ya what....audit these other guys up here, come back, look me in the eye and ask me to sign that." He rambled about just doing his job, not trying to insult, blah-blah. I ignored him. My boss--a really classy guy came up a couple minutes later as I was really pounding out a load and said, "Hey, everything alright?" I shook my head, sent a box whizzing down a belt and said, "No, but I'll live." He said, 'Uhhh....what's wrong?" I shook my head, stepped two steps forward and yelled something at my unloader to motivate him. I went back and said, "Your idiot supe buddy with the service tests. Beyond that, I'm seeing red just thinking about it." He walked away. Two weeks later, Idiot Supe comes back with the SAME form. I saw him coming and ignored him. A few minutes later, he steps up and asks me to sign. I look at him sideways as I sort two packages and look at his clipboard. It was a 90 percent. I looked up at him, glanced back down at the three minute timing he'd done and shrugged. The timing was fair and the 80 some percent was acceptable. I couldn't resist. I asked him, "You found out I was right, didn't you?" His face tightened and he quickly walked away :happy-very:.

I loved when their own observations took them down a peg or two. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
When the heat is on, I will turn it up even hotter. I have been thru seven center managers and at least 10 or 15 on car sups in my time on the center; the bottom line is that I am still here and they arent.

While I don't necessarily agree with your methods, I'll tell you this: when supes REALLY got to me, the grievance route wasn't necessary. UPS has some kind of standards for what supes can and cannot do to hourlies. I don't like getting my hands dirty. A complaint worded the right way to the right person took care of my problems. It certainly helped if I went in myself and yelled at a couple people. Righteous indignation will take you far but ONLY when you're right :happy-very:. -Rocky

UPSNewbie

Our center has solved this by placing an "anger and resentment" bucket by the P/T time clock. P/Ters are told to leave these items here when they punch out and to retrieve them when they come in the following morning. So far it seems to have worked out well.

I personally can't fit the whole center into one bucket...:whiteflag:

While I don't necessarily agree with your methods, I'll tell you this: when supes REALLY got to me, the grievance route wasn't necessary. UPS has some kind of standards for what supes can and cannot do to hourlies. I don't like getting my hands dirty. A complaint worded the right way to the right person took care of my problems. It certainly helped if I went in myself and yelled at a couple people. Righteous indignation will take you far but ONLY when you're right :happy-very:. -Rocky

Why did you insist on yelling? You always are bragging that you did more then your share of yelling while at UPS. Some of the best leadership and motivation comes from polar opposites of yelling. Find a new hobby.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Why did you insist on yelling? You always are bragging that you did more then your share of yelling while at UPS. Some of the best leadership and motivation comes from polar opposites of yelling. Find a new hobby.

Oh, I only yelled when provoked. And only at idiots whom deserved it. I yelled at a couple p/t supes for bullying, insulting and underhanded behavior; one sort manager (I took a joke the wrong way and apologized) and one HR rep with a penchant for stringing me along.

And I have found a new hobby: not yelling :happy2:. In fact, the last time I yelled was the week before I left UPS a little over a year ago. I'm actually supposed to get a helper at my current job in the next couple weeks. My boss has given me some things to complete because I need some upgrading in the area of leadership and management. Its OK, though. Its a learning experience. -Rocky

dillweed

Good morning Rocky and thanks for your comments. Management cannot override our red button; shuts the entire building down. If a ft comes up to investigate they see me cleaning up the mess and leave me alone or tell the closest sorter to help out. I have few hassles with the ft sups, seems it's the pt pissants who are scratching and clawing their way up who harass the most. Seeing as they have no power whatsoever I shouldn't even consider their comments but some days they do manage to crawl under my skin.

Glad to hear you're doing well. Keep up the good work!