What Kind of Snow Blower?

Ouch, my barely 2 year old snowthrower won't run!

We've used it a couple times this season. My son was using it, took a break, went out to start it again, and it wouldn't run.

It STARTS, but dies out in seconds.

OK, I tried it today. All the basics are good:
Key on
Choked
Primer bulb

Pull cord, runs a few seconds, dies.

Ah, I can keep it running by pushing the primer bulb when it starts to die. Interesting...

Suggestions?

One, did you use Stabil? Two, the diaphragm may have a leak or pin hole that prevents it from pumping fuel through the carb. Possibly why it will run if you work the primer.

Or some other leak either in pressurizing the fuel tank (if it does that) or between tank to card that is strong enough to null out the vacuum from carb.

over9five

Staff member
SHE LIVES AGAIN!!!!!!

Threw some gas cleaner in the tank, pulled and cleaned up the spark plug, dropped the carb bowl.
I'm not sure which fixed it, I kinda suspect maybe there was water in the fuel that the gas cleaner crap dried out.

My son says he won't believe it's fixed till he tries it tomorrow.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
You may have had water in bowl or the float stuck. I've seen so much water in the bowl, it froze. Try to run just a touch of drygas every tank. Shut fuel off between storms & start using stabil the end of season. Add extra fuel stabilizer & run it out of gas in spring. Also. In spring, I like to put clean oil in them. Start once per month til next season, then change oil again to a synthetic. Makes starting much easier.

You may have had water in bowl or the float stuck. I've seen so much water in the bowl, it froze. Try to run just a touch of drygas every tank. Shut fuel off between storms & start using stabil the end of season. Add extra fuel stabilizer & run it out of gas in spring. Also. In spring, I like to put clean oil in them. Start once per month til next season, then change oil again to a synthetic. Makes starting much easier.

I just run a bit of Stabil year round.

A

anonymous6

we live in snow country near lake Tahoe and 99 out of 100 snowblowers owned by homeowners are Hondas. they are pricey but if you buy one used in summertime you can get one at a good price.

ours has been flawless ( so far ) and it's a godsend after a 14 hr night and two feet of snow in the driveway. it takes about 15 minutes to clear enough space to get the car into the garage.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Honda makes some of the best equipment period. Their snowblowers especially. When you deal with as much snow as you do,it's a must. Their track machines are just awesome. The 11/32 or 13/36 hybrid are expensive but well worth the $.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know someone who tried to pass a snow plow on the right (in his personal vehicle and surprisingly he made it through the wall of snow). He later became a center manager.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Well it is another year and the 24th of December and I do not have fuel nor have I started it up yet. Guess I will wait for the weatherperson to forcast snow before I get the darn thing ready.