What kind of sunglasses?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Oakley Straightjackets with polarized lenses. The difference in glare reduction is incredible and they stay in place all day no matter how much my face sweats and I move around. (Not to mention the style goes well with my face.) I will admit that I find Maui Jims are superior in clarity, but can't take a beating like a pair of Oakleys so I was willing to make the trade off.

I was hesitant to drop $200 on sunglasses but when I took into consideration working 50+ hours per week outside doing this all day, my rather active lifestyle outside of work, and the money being made, there was no reason not to. Besides, I've always taken sunglasses with me everywhere, and they're on my face pretty much anytime I'm outside. So to me, it was by far a worthwhile investment and I haven't regretted it since.

Maui Jims for the win, best optics IMHO. I have these,
I like them over the Kanaha because of the closer lens placement and less likely to snap. The warranty can't be beat either. I wore them to New Orleans St Patrick's day and my wife accidentally crushed them and broke the frames in half. I called up Maui Jim's toll free number and explained I'd like to get the frames fixed ($60). She said just pay for the postage and we'll do it for free. A week later I got a package in the mail and it was a brand new set of Banyan's and they never charged me. I called back up and told her I'd like to complement them on their customer service and I'd tell anyone I could when the opportunity arose. So yeah, I love that company. When you purchase something of quality and get a warranty such as this, you make up for 5 pairs of cheapo China crap. The optics are made in Japan and Italy, in case you're wondering.
Same here. I got the glass lenses. Two year warranty but they are in all actually guaranteed for ever.

JL 0513

Like everything, you get what you pay for. A $10 pair will likely have questionable comfort and optics. It's not as simple as just shading the sun. They do the job but not well. Lots of technology and development goes into a $100+ pair of sunglasses. Oakley and others actually invent new manufacturing methods, technologies, and machines just to produce their sunglasses. Those things cost millions. They've gone so far as a $4,000 (one pair) carbon fiber line.

It's understandable to not want to deal with the hassle of caring for a nice pair at work but for optics, comfort, durability and style, there's a huge difference. It really is like comparing a $20 pair of generic shoes bought at Walmart and a pair of Nike's or New Balance. Would you want to put a 10 hour day in wearing those $20 shoes?

Another angle based on experience is that if I buy a $15 pair of sunglasses, I'll have to buy a new pair every couple of months or less. The $130 Oakley's, for example, will last years and if you need, Oakley sells replacement lenses if you do scratch them so you can extend the life even more. So after a year or so, the nice pair costs no more than the 5 junk pairs you bought.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For me at least, they actually are. I don't know if it's their light color or my eyes are just sensitive but I can barely keep them open if it's bright out.

I could see if you have a note from your optometrist but anyone who doesn't and is writing them off on their taxes is just begging for an audit.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I could see if you have a note from your optometrist but anyone who doesn't and is writing them off on their taxes is just begging for an audit.

Untrue. Been writing that stuff off for almost 20 years, never been audited. A good accountant will let you know what you can do without crossing the line. I also write my cell phone off for work and everything else I use on a daily basis.

box_beeyotch

I had a 250 dollar pair of oakleys stolen out of a truck I accidently left them in. My fault I know. But I bought another pair after and that's what I wear on the road. The polarization keeps me from getting headaches. If I'm not at work and am dressed up I have a pair of prada aviators that cost almost a weeks paycheck lol

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I used to have my taxes done by a CPA, and he was a sharp cookie. He said "you're a big strong guy. I'm guessing you break your shoelaces. a lot." Uniform cleaning expenses, and at one time, but I think they closed this loophole, haircuts were allowed if your employer required a certain length. It can be made worth your while if you have enough to itemize and take advantage of all you can take.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'll trust my CPA who used to be an IRS auditor. I'm sure he knows what he's doing over the guy who does his taxes with turbo tax. In 20 years that I've been going to him, never been audited or adjusted. Guess he knows what he's doing