What makes this job better

a911scanner

As a ft cover/utility of just over a year, I too have a similar daily reaction as the op. Rip me all you want, but I guess that's just the way I am.

I will say, that after the first 6 months, I seem to have found a "groove" for myself and am a bit less stressed most days unless going on a brand new route I've never done. Then my stress level goes up again. Maybe I'm reminded of the feelings I had when I was brand new and thought I would never get it?

I have come to the conclusion (for myself) that I will never be as good as management expects me to be, and I will never have a "regular" schedule. Since I have gotten appreciably better at the job since I started, the thing I am most concerned about is beating sundown. If I can do that today (or come close) then I win for today.

And Jesus is my co-pilot, so that helps a lot too.

JL 0513

After 3 years of covering, don't you see a lot of routes that you know like the back of your hand? Why stress on a route you know? I'm in your same position, 2 months shy of top rate. The only time I feel stressed is the first and maybe second day on a new route. Sometimes on routes that have tough commits to meet (lot of p/u's etc.). Do you not cover a lot of high seniority routes or easy split routes? That's what I get the majority of. With seniority drivers getting 6 weeks off a year plus a bunch of optionals, I cover a lot of the best stuff. I just bid cover over a couple of available routes. There's no way I'm bidding a garbage route over a lot of the gravy I get as cover.

Overpaid Union Thug

I would just like to hear a few opinions on the job and what makes it better. I've worked at ups for right at 20 years but only driving for close to 3. Not loving utility driving and just wondering if topping out makes things a little better or if getting your own route is what it takes to make the job more bare able. I'm about 2 months from topping out and only hope that helps out but I am worried it won't make things much better. Just like to hear a few personal experiences with this or opinions.

Don't worry about a thing. It's just a job delivering random stuff. It's not like you are working on a nuclear reactor. You are not required to meet any production standards but the methods do require that you work at a smooth and steady pace. Read a copy of the methods and make a habit out of following as many as you can. Do not run and/or give them any time by skipping all or any of your breaks. Just relax and try to be smooth and deliberate in your delivery methods. If you think you will have trouble with air, SADR accounts, or getting to commercial stops before they close then let them know (via DIAD or in person with a witness) that way the stress is on them and not you. Just relax dude.

ArcherUTR

I still like to maintain a certain bit of edge about me throughout my day. But it helps tremendously knowing that I'm never going to be fired for doing my job as instructed.

Having your own route does help, at least you know how you're going to get :censored2:ed every day.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
After 3 years of covering, don't you see a lot of routes that you know like the back of your hand? Why stress on a route you know? I'm in your same position, 2 months shy of top rate. The only time I feel stressed is the first and maybe second day on a new route. Sometimes on routes that have tough commits to meet (lot of p/u's etc.). Do you not cover a lot of high seniority routes or easy split routes? That's what I get the majority of. With seniority drivers getting 6 weeks off a year plus a bunch of optionals, I cover a lot of the best stuff. I just bid cover over a couple of available routes. There's no way I'm bidding a garbage route over a lot of the gravy I get as cover.
In our local (25), two-three year drivers were getting bumped out of package altogether.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
What makes it better. Is leave it at the building. It will be there tomorrow and the next. I don't evermore look at edd till I have done my pre trip. I just don't care. It will get drone. If not. They will sent someone to get my pick ups. Relax. Its CARDBOARD

JL 0513

One of the good things about ORION is that it's taken out the need to plan your air run before you leave, for the most part. If you don't have time to mix in the grounds it's telling you to do than just skip them for later. But at least it figures a good order to run air without having to think about it like before. Especially for those of us running blind routes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I wish I could do what you say but I probably let it stress me out way more than I should, I stress out all day everyday at work feeling like I'm behind and I can never catch up or get ahead no matter what. Then the weekend is here and I'm good until Sunday morning when I wake up already worrying about who knows which route I'm running on Monday or if I'm going out blind. I also dream about work probably 3-4 nights a week at least and they aren't ever good ones, guess more like nightmares
Sounds like this job might not be for you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wow I mean that's awesome in my opinion and I wish I could get to that mindset but doubt I ever will. I have to ask though are you married or have any kids? Because getting home at 10 would not fair well for my family life
Why?

My wife knows what this job entails and understands.

Whats 9.5?

Man in brown, how do you not stress out? Have you had your own route for a while? I am definitely one of those guys at the computer screens each morning. I come in early to see what route I'm running and look at my truck and see whatever I can on the computer that might help my day. I just want everything to go as well as possible and get done as early as possible
Don't worry about getting done early. If you go out there and crush it, you will only be rewarded with that annoying green light and will be sent to do somebody else's work. Trust me, I used to do it.

wayfair

swollen member
When you top out, buy one of those $3,000 Stearns and Foster bed... because guess what?

YOU ARE GOING to sleep it it EVERY night!
so why stress?
You are going to go home.

upser4ever

JL0513 No I don't get to cover a lot of routes I know like the back of my hand, if I did I think my job would be a lot better. I also don't get to cover a lot of high seniority routes, wish I did. The one split car I run a lot of the time changes a lot and usually has 50 apartment stops on it and the airport plus 100 or so other stops but at least when I do it I know where I am going and usually have a pretty good day on it. Sounds like you have a pretty good gig and wish my center was more like yours. I would take almost any route I could get at this point just to have the consistency and know where I am going everyday.
Brownslave trust me I think about other jobs all the time and wish I could find one that payed fairly well and I enjoyed doing. I would leave ups in a heartbeat if I found that mythical job. And when I said my family life would suffer I mean that I want to get home and spend time with my wife and kids, not that she doesn't understand. Who wants to never see their wife or kids?

ManInBrown

Anyone who has a wife or GF that gives them :censored2: about the hours should reply with "I can always go flip burgers at McDonalds. And we can move into public housing. But at least I'll be home at 4 everyday. You going to be OK with that?"

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Seems like a lot of OP's stress has to do with being a cover driver. Not knowing what you're going to be doing when you go into work in the morning stressed me out big time at first. Being a cover driver isn't for everyone, believe me, there's plenty of bid route drivers who couldn't do what you do.

When you go out blind, not knowing if you're ahead or behind can be really stressful. It's all about your mindset. You can always break off for pickups, you can always message the center and have someone get your pick up pieces in on time..... the work WILL get done one way or another. Keep telling yourself that... It will get done, it's only a matter of time.

I get where you're coming from, I don't want someone to help me. It makes me feel like I failed. I absolutely hate when someone has to get stops off of me. But when they put you on a route blind, they know this is a possibility. Just do your best and don't let it get you down. There will be times when they send you out on mission impossible, it's not your fault.

I'm not saying you shouldn't care, but it is what it is. Just do your job to the best of your ability and let the chips fall where they may. That's all you can do man. Don't let it get you down bro.