What makes this job better

upser4ever

Driveindriveout Sounds like you understand where I am coming from. Yeah I always want to do the best job I can and definitely don't want to have to get help. I just need to change my attitude towards work but that is much easier said than done. Like you said I should just always do the best job I can do and not worry about anything else. The job is what it is, I doubt anyone likes it I guess they just find a way to deal with it or get used to it. I still hope though that maybe making some more money and eventually getting a route will make it better as well

ManInBrown

Driveindriveout Sounds like you understand where I am coming from. Yeah I always want to do the best job I can and definitely don't want to have to get help. I just need to change my attitude towards work but that is much easier said than done. Like you said I should just always do the best job I can do and not worry about anything else. The job is what it is, I doubt anyone likes it I guess they just find a way to deal with it or get used to it. I still hope though that maybe making some more money and eventually getting a route will make it better as well

I enjoy it very much. I also enjoy that FAT paycheck every Friday

Rack em

Made the Podium
I enjoy it very much. I also enjoy that FAT paycheck every Friday
I'm still a rookie driver, but right now I enjoy my job most days. Where else can I get paid to jam out to music all day and simply bring boxes to peoples doors? I'm not even top rate yet lol

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you've been driving for 3 years I'm honestly surprised you haven't come up with solutions for whatever you feel is negative about the job. As a cover guy, a properly stocked bag is all you need with a rechargeable led spotlight, tiny can of wd40, mapbook, bluetooth speaker box, partial roll of paper towels, an ipod, maybe a cell with plenty of data if you wanna stream music, a rain hat, chapstick and that's about all you need to have a fine day.

Aside from that it's one stop at a time and giving a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. Don't worry about their silly numbers and if you do your best and they give you a hard time file a harassment grievance. If you're getting overdispatched get on the 9.5 list when you can.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I would just like to hear a few opinions on the job and what makes it better. I've worked at ups for right at 20 years but only driving for close to 3. Not loving utility driving and just wondering if topping out makes things a little better or if getting your own route is what it takes to make the job more bare able. I'm about 2 months from topping out and only hope that helps out but I am worried it won't make things much better. Just like to hear a few personal experiences with this or opinions.

If you are a utility driver, then learn the route (if they will teach you the route) ask to go on routes, Learn to work the route and not let it work you is the key to less stress.

upser4ever

Whether I know the route or not it is still always stressful, but of course much less if I know the route. I know how to do the job but call it pride or stupidity or whatever but I always want to finish as soon as I can no matter what route I am on and feel like if I don't run bonus then I'm not doing a good job. Which I usually run bonus 85 percent of the time I would say but like I said I just always feel like I am behind and playing catch up. Just putting more stress on myself I know, wish I could just let go and have the mentality oh well I will get done when I get done and not worry about it so much, but easier said than done.

wayfair

swollen member
Whether I know the route or not it is still always stressful, but of course much less if I know the route. I know how to do the job but call it pride or stupidity or whatever but I always want to finish as soon as I can no matter what route I am on and feel like if I don't run bonus then I'm not doing a good job. Which I usually run bonus 85 percent of the time I would say but like I said I just always feel like I am behind and playing catch up. Just putting more stress on myself I know, wish I could just let go and have the mentality oh well I will get done when I get done and not worry about it so much, but easier said than done.

When you get hurt running bonus or crashing into something because "you want to finish as soon as you can", just imagine the stress of being out of work...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you've been driving for 3 years I'm honestly surprised you haven't come up with solutions for whatever you feel is negative about the job. As a cover guy, a properly stocked bag is all you need with a rechargeable led spotlight, tiny can of wd40, mapbook, bluetooth speaker box, partial roll of paper towels, an ipod, maybe a cell with plenty of data if you wanna stream music, a rain hat, chapstick and that's about all you need to have a fine day.

Aside from that it's one stop at a time and giving a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. Don't worry about their silly numbers and if you do your best and they give you a hard time file a harassment grievance. If you're getting overdispatched get on the 9.5 list when you can.
Wtf you carry a lot of stuff around.

Map is all I need.

Savvy412

I hear you op.

I only been driving for 4 months but I just always have those butterfly feelings in my stomach for most of the day . And when I get home I'm still stressed because the next am you scared they will call your name or something . So once the day is over. It's really not .