What makes this job better

Art 18 sec 8
Thank you.
14562444094331169106528.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Does Article 18 Section 8 cover power adapters in package cars or is this just for feeders? They took them out of our package cars years ago and we cannot hook to the battery or hot terminal under the dash.

To upser4ever, I was a nervous wreck myself as a new driver. Hopefully you will get used to the fact that this is a stressful job and that you figure out a way to handle it. I have always been a bid driver, so I never had to worry about where I was going the next day. But I did figure out that the stops will always come off one at a time and eventually that package car is going to empty out. The company will always try to get more out of you. You just have to work smooth and be safe, you will eventually get a better route or a shot at feeder.

NXA

I wish I could do what you say but I probably let it stress me out way more than I should, I stress out all day everyday at work feeling like I'm behind and I can never catch up or get ahead no matter what. Then the weekend is here and I'm good until Sunday morning when I wake up already worrying about who knows which route I'm running on Monday or if I'm going out blind. I also dream about work probably 3-4 nights a week at least and they aren't ever good ones, guess more like nightmares
Look man. At any given point in time, you're behind where you could be if things were different. You can never catch up, because your best is your best. And there is no such thing as "ahead" , except that if you get ahead today you'll be behind tomorrow of where you imagine you could have got ahead to.

Best thing that ever happened to me, I was going thru a personal rough patch, and it was all I could do to punch in at start time. And I was doing five different routes a week. So I basically did the bare minimum of anything, only the routine. And nothing at all happened to me. I clock in, listen to the supe yap, reconcile air, pretrip, then just went to my first stop, delivered, second stop, delivered, on and on yawn and yawn. No troubles.

The rough patch is over, but I feel like it made me just focus on the present, only worrying about what I'm doing *right now*

I like running coverage bc I have favorite customers on every route and I get to see them all.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I would just like to hear a few opinions on the job and what makes it better. I've worked at ups for right at 20 years but only driving for close to 3. Not loving utility driving and just wondering if topping out makes things a little better or if getting your own route is what it takes to make the job more bare able. I'm about 2 months from topping out and only hope that helps out but I am worried it won't make things much better. Just like to hear a few personal experiences with this or opinions.
what makes it better is not having to do it anymore. sorry.

JL 0513

Whether I know the route or not it is still always stressful, but of course much less if I know the route. I know how to do the job but call it pride or stupidity or whatever but I always want to finish as soon as I can no matter what route I am on and feel like if I don't run bonus then I'm not doing a good job. Which I usually run bonus 85 percent of the time I would say but like I said I just always feel like I am behind and playing catch up. Just putting more stress on myself I know, wish I could just let go and have the mentality oh well I will get done when I get done and not worry about it so much, but easier said than done.

A lot, if not a majority, of centers don't even have bonus including mine.

I understand you want to get home to your wife and kids but it's not worth running through the day and stressing over it. The best hours are overtime hours. OT accounts for about $20,000 a year for top rate drivers. That buys quality time on the weekends with your family while the Dad that makes peanuts can't take his family anywhere.

Also, I hope you're not a lunch skipper. From what it sounds like, I suspect you might be. If you are, then that's a $9,000 a year charitable donation to UPS figuring straight time!

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Bid a route as soon as you can. I understand the anxiety of doing different routes everyday, blind routes and all that jazz. I got my own route right at about the time I went top scale and the job became that much easier. On your own route you know it so well that even if the preloader gives you a janky load it won't screw you over the same way it would if you were running it cold. You can damn near go on autopilot running your own route. You come into work everyday not worrying about a damn thing. Only bad thing I can think of is you might miss all the different good looking women on all the other routes you used to cover lol.

Faceplanted

This job is not for you. If you are worried what your wife is thinking about when you get home at 10, it's not for u. If u stress every single day it's not for you. This job is not one you can carry into your life, your family will suffer

You need to calm down man, your honestly setting your self up for life threatening health problems in the near future. Maybe your health is more important than a job.

I swung for 5 years. After my first year I couldn't care less, I did the best I could and would just send a message about business failure or anything else. They will set you up for fail repeatedly, start not giving a :censored2:, don't sand bag but just give it a honest day at work.

A bid route is not always better. When you do the same route every day, you are held to a certain standard. One thing I loved about swinging was how I could never get in trouble for stuff concerning time allowance ect