What makes this job better

Browntown2014

Whether I know the route or not it is still always stressful, but of course much less if I know the route. I know how to do the job but call it pride or stupidity or whatever but I always want to finish as soon as I can no matter what route I am on and feel like if I don't run bonus then I'm not doing a good job. Which I usually run bonus 85 percent of the time I would say but like I said I just always feel like I am behind and playing catch up. Just putting more stress on myself I know, wish I could just let go and have the mentality oh well I will get done when I get done and not worry about it so much, but easier said than done.

Step 1: forget about "bonus"
Step 2: relax
Step 3: ?
Step 4: profit

It's really that simple.

upser4ever

I just want to say I've been able to run a route for the last seven days because he had eye surgery and it has made work much better. The route is not easy by any means, heavy downtown business heavy route with any res being mostly apartments and about 25 pickups. But just knowing where I am going and what I am doing each day has made my life much less stressful. It's been a very long time since I was able to run a route for a whole week. So I think if I could get a route in the near future it would make the job better to me, but is not in the foreseeable future unfortunately. Don't have enough seniority and no one retiring

Please Call Center

I wish I could do what you say but I probably let it stress me out way more than I should, I stress out all day everyday at work feeling like I'm behind and I can never catch up or get ahead no matter what. Then the weekend is here and I'm good until Sunday morning when I wake up already worrying about who knows which route I'm running on Monday or if I'm going out blind. I also dream about work probably 3-4 nights a week at least and they aren't ever good ones, guess more like nightmares
You sound a lot like me.

Rented Ammo

I wish I could do what you say but I probably let it stress me out way more than I should, I stress out all day everyday at work feeling like I'm behind and I can never catch up or get ahead no matter what. Then the weekend is here and I'm good until Sunday morning when I wake up already worrying about who knows which route I'm running on Monday or if I'm going out blind. I also dream about work probably 3-4 nights a week at least and they aren't ever good ones, guess more like nightmares
I take it ur a cover driver. I've been there with the stress thing. Here's some advice. just don't give a :censored2:. Slow ur pace down and when management asks you what u were doing here or there for two mins just keep it real simple and say I don't recall and I did the best job I could and worked safe. As far as not knowing what route your going to do go get a Route Request form and start filling those out each week. You'll be on the same route the following week. Just make sure u got ur airs ur handcart and don't worry about anything else. If your going to have late air don't speed to go get it done. Just get there scan it when ur there and deliver it and press X for other then deal with the heat later. Don't scan before your there cuz then u can get in serious trouble. Trust I've been in ur shoes and it's not worth it to worry about it. Go to ur local human resources and out your name on the feeder transfer list. Way easier job. If u really have to use the bathroom and their aren't any around send them a message through the Diad and tell them ur breaking off route to use the bathroom. Your allowed to do that by OSHA rule.

9.5 everyday

I hear what you're saying, just can't get to that point. Are you at top pay yet? Wondering if that may change things, maybe I will not stress as much? I see many drivers who come in and are happy and don't let the job get to them, don't know how they do it but I want to get there. I also want to get done as early as possible every single day and maybe that is part of my problem. I also worry about running under more than I should, feel like if I don't run under then I look like a crappy driver to my peers and management.
A big problem is that you try to get done as early as possible every night. Here's the thing, they don't want you in early. They want you to work at least 9.5 hours. If you hustle all day and get done at let's say 6:30 with 150 stops, you WILL be given more work. Maybe 5 or 10 stops. And you will stress more now bc you have more work. And then you will work harder and faster to do more work and get done at 6:30. And this is the downward spiral to hell. The key here is to work with in the methods, get your work done, and don't kill your self. The drivers that are the happiest are the guys doing the least amount of work in 9.5 hours.

PT Car Washer

A big problem is that you try to get done as early as possible every night. Here's the thing, they don't want you in early. They want you to work at least 9.5 hours. If you hustle all day and get done at let's say 6:30 with 150 stops, you WILL be given more work. Maybe 5 or 10 stops. And you will stress more now bc you have more work. And then you will work harder and faster to do more work and get done at 6:30. And this is the downward spiral to hell. The key here is to work with in the methods, get your work done, and don't kill your self. The drivers that are the happiest are the guys doing the least amount of work in 9.5 hours.
My building has drivers coming in at 4:30 everyday. A lot more coming in between 5 and 6. Then the stragglers coming in after 7. We start at 9 AM.

9.5 everyday

Wow, that must be nice. Our center isn't like that at all. 8:45 start, 7:15 is 9.5. A few are in by 6:45, a lot are off at 7:15 and the stragglers are out until 8:00 or later. I'm not even off at 4:30 with an 8 hr day. Must be nice.

Travwise

This was a timely topic for me. I think the OP asked a legitimate question and everybody does handle the job differently, that being said I personally do not work with anyone who enjoys their job, maybe you're not supposed too. I don't know.

I've got an interview next week for a different job. Obviously pay and benefits won't be as good. Even though I'll be leaving a lot of money on the table my heart leaps with joy at the thought of leaving this place in the rear view mirror. The actual delivering boxes part is easy, it's all the other :censored2: that weighs me down. Every day some new bull:censored2:. Being treated like a child. Blah blah blah.

Thanks for listening. Hope everyone has a great week.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
the older you get the harder it gets,, Things NEVER get easier at ups..gone from early morning till late night Monday thru Friday,, get simple maintenance done on Saturday, dread the hell that will be coming my way Monday morning all day Sunday...Its not healthy

JL 0513

"What makes this job better?"

9-12 - Glenn Beck
12-3 - Rush Limbaugh
3-6 - Sean Hannity
6-9 - Mark Levin

:biggrin:

Not even thinking of work...

Last edited: