What? No More Keys

Just Lurking

We are scheduled to get keyless entry this summer.

I really hope that there will still be an actual key that can be used as a backup.

My experience with small, high-tech electronic gizmos is that they can be wonderful until they fail. That is why I keep an old-fashioned folded up paper map in the glove box of my wifes car even though she has a Garmin GPS unit.

I thought that some posted in a previous thread about the keyless system that there was a lockbox with combo in the cab with a key set.

bumped

I thought that some posted in a previous thread about the keyless system that there was a lockbox with combo in the cab with a key set.

Thats right.

I've been keyless for 2 years now. The FOB will clip onto your belt loop. There will be an extra set of keys in a lock box, and you will loose some time. I know I brought this up quite a while ago, so I have forgotten the extact time lost. Its something like 6-8 minutes in a day. And, yes, your stops will go up a few.

DS

Fenderbender
I was trying to find a picture of it and stumbled on an article.
A good read....one line reads.....

"This forecasting analysis does not take place at the local HUB’s but is instead conducted at the company’s corporate headquarters."

bham brown

We are scheduled to get keyless entry this summer.

I really hope that there will still be an actual key that can be used as a backup.

My experience with small, high-tech electronic gizmos is that they can be wonderful until they fail. That is why I keep an old-fashioned folded up paper map in the glove box of my wifes car even though she has a Garmin GPS unit.

Our center manager said in case of a failure there will be a lockbox in the truck and we are to call them and they will provide us with the code to access the box..I guess we can't be trusted with the code to access the golden keys

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have had key less bulkhead entry for decades.:happy2:
Nuff said.

Before Telematics, all you needed for "keyless entry" was a folded-up delivery notice wedged into the latch and a bungee cord running from the BH door chain to the fire extinguisher bracket.

nuff said....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Being in an extended center we still have PC's that are 20+ years old. It'll be years before we go keyless.
It's funny that I should say this............. yesterday I went to a BBQ for 1 of our drivers that retired (25 yrs). I was talking to my sup and he says that we will be keyless within a year. Don't see how it's going to happen (do they retro-fit old PC's?) with all the crap that we have in the yard. :knockedout:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's funny that I should say this............. yesterday I went to a BBQ for 1 of our drivers that retired (25 yrs). I was talking to my sup and he says that we will be keyless within a year. Don't see how it's going to happen (do they retro-fit old PC's?) with all the crap that we have in the yard. :knockedout:

When we went live on Telematics, they spent $500 per car wiring up some old GMC P-5's that were on their last legs anyway. They wound up ripping all of the hardware back out of the cars when they went to the junkyard. They never even used the cars after installing the sensors. We work for a company that will install keyless entry on a vehicle with no power steering and then use the supposed "time savings" as an excuse to load more stops into the car.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When we went live on Telematics, they spent $500 per car wiring up some old GMC P-5's that were on their last legs anyway. They wound up ripping all of the hardware back out of the cars when they went to the junkyard. They never even used the cars after installing the sensors. We work for a company that will install keyless entry on a vehicle with no power steering and then use the supposed "time savings" as an excuse to load more stops into the car.
It makes absolutely no sense. :knockedout:

flht

We've had this system for over a year and I love it. Never had a problem yet. We have a lock box on the firewall with keys in it just in case. Everyone likes it way better than the old way.

Big Babooba

This system is being implemented as a precursor to our next contract in 2013. Some of you people don't realize it but the system automatically opens the bulkhead door. This is part 1 of a 2 part system that is to be installed in all package cars. Part 2 is coming next year and calls for a remote opening cage to be installed in the cargo area on the floor behind the driver.
UPS is secretly training monkeys to deliver packages in an undisclosed location in Arizona. Their plan is to introduce a new driving classification - Driver/Monkey Team.
This is how it's supposed to work: 1). The driver pulls up to the stop and shuts off engine. 2). The bulkhead and monkey cage doors open. 3). The monkey gets out, grabs the package(s) and DIAD and makes the delivery. While the monkey is making the delivery, the driver is selecting the package(s) for the next stop. 4). The monkey returns to the vehicle and collects a peanut from a dispenser inside the passenger door. The monkey reenters the cage, closing both the bulkhead and cage doors behind him. When all is secure, the monkey bangs on the bulkhead twice to let the driver know that all is secure and they proceed to he next stop.
95% of all Package Drivers will be transferred into the new classification which will pay $15.00 less than the Package rate. The boys in Atlanta are excited. They'll get a lower paid driver and an employee who will work for peanuts!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We went keyless a couple of years ago and like everything at UPS the kinks and bugs had to be worked out. At first the keyless system would somehow drain the batteries and every morning there would be at least 30 package cars that needed to be jumped off. Also i had been in the habit for over 20 years of putting the keys on my right hand ring finger so i initially had a few panic attacks thinking i had left my keys in the back. It's smooth sailing now and i like the system. The only downside is when the idiots on Reload who pull the fobs from the PC's on friday nights take them home and come Monday morning you ahve to dig the spares out.
On a side note: the old 1980's straight shift P-1000 and P-800 cars DO have the keyless system and yes stops were increased on these cars

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I have the keyless and do not like it. I always seem to have a problem with getting the bulkhead door open after returning to the truck. I either pushed the button twice or I held it and it popped the lock but the door didn't open. Half the time I have to stand there and wait for the system to shut itself off so I can try again. It more than wastes whatever time they think it was saving!!