What NOT to do

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Lol. I wonder how he tried to explain that. Maybe.... "I was parking, I opened the door and a passing car hit my door and left the scene"? Then the video hits the internet in wildfire fashion and it's all over.

yes, "oh, well um, I guess I must've mis-remembered a little exactly how it happened"

whenIgetthere

I know of one express employee who did the same thing, left W900 in park, truck rolled downhill into a dumpster. He's on the fast track to being a manager now, no joke!

Slick silver

I'm relieved no one was hurt and no major damage, but I haven't seen a video ever since the tv incident were it's a express driver causing a issue. Even when I worked ground I always pulled the e brake even doing stops on flat streets. Heck I do it with my personal vehicle

Sent using BrownCafe App

dezguy

He/she got lucky that
Lol. I wonder how he tried to explain that. Maybe.... "I was parking, I opened the door and a passing car hit my door and left the scene"? Then the video hits the internet in wildfire fashion and it's all over.

We've had doors bend after being caught by a gust of wind at my sta. I would have used that. lol

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
He's damn lucky his vehicle didn't hit the house. Bravo Zulu to him for having it roll almost perfectly between the pole and the tree.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He's damn lucky his vehicle didn't hit the house. Bravo Zulu to him for having it roll almost perfectly between the pole and the tree.

Classic Ground. Let's see... 1. Leave truck running 2. Don't set parking brake 3. Leave vehicle in gear 4. Take last puff of joint 5. Make sure joint is fully used 6. Save roach for later 7. Step out of truck 8. chase truck as if you can actually stop it. I think the dogs really enjoyed the show of Ground professionalism...I know I did.

CJinx

It was a bone-headed mistake that could have happened to anyone. Glad no one was injured and that the only damage was to the door of the vehicle and the fence in the back.

HomeDelivery

hey everybody! dumb box monkey chimin' in...

just got back from a huge saturday... almost 40% of the load today were amazon prime boxes :whiteflag: looks like they're not going to depend on Lasership / Ontrac yet since no one is joinin' in on the fun of being an owner /operator... 12 hour day done at 1915

------------------------------------------------

well, i'm like silver,
...I always pulled the e brake even doing stops even on flat streets. Heck I do it with my personal vehicle.

somehow, it was part of my on-road training when i first joined up:oops:

use your parking brake, just to relieve that small pin someone else talked about ~ parking pawl

and it's less stress on your motor/trans mounts when you do use that parking brake to hold the weight of the vehicle... i engage it & shift to N ~ just to confirm that it's holding, then P

looks like a fresh-out-of-peak temp driver... didn't know about the fancy mercedes shifter on the console and the parking brake handle is on the inner side of the driver's seat.

so when he opened that door looking for a non-existent parking brake pedal like the GMs & Fords by the lower kick panel, he got FedUp...

leaving that door opened actually help redirect the van from broad-siding the home if you take another look

at least he knew where that big red triangle hazard light switch was & engaged it

----------------------------------------------

these guys/gals have to familiarize themselves w/ the controls before driving off. I've driven all kinds of vehicles during my short stay at HD...

as always stay S.A.friend.E. out there (or is it still AGKLM?)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
hey everybody! dumb box monkey chimin' in...

just got back from a huge saturday... almost 40% of the load today were amazon prime boxes :whiteflag: looks like they're not going to depend on Lasership / Ontrac yet since no one is joinin' in on the fun of being an owner /operator... 12 hour day done at 1915

well, i'm like silver,

somehow, it was part of my on-road training when i first joined up:oops:

use your parking brake, just to relieve that small pin someone else talked about ~ parking pawl

and it's less stress on your motor/trans mounts when you do use that parking brake to hold the weight of the vehicle... i engage it & shift to N ~ just to confirm that it's holding, then P

looks like a fresh-out-of-peak temp driver... didn't know about the fancy mercedes shifter on the console and the parking brake handle is on the inner side of the driver's seat.

so when he opened that door looking for a non-existent parking brake pedal like the GMs & Fords by the lower kick panel, he got FedUp...

leaving that door opened actually help redirect the van from broad-siding the home if you take another look

at least he knew where that big red triangle hazard light switch was & engaged it

----------------------------------------------

these guys/gals have to familiarize themselves w/ the controls before driving off. I've driven all kinds of vehicles during my short stay at HD...

I worked today and we had tons of Amazon. I guess having Fred and Dave slam them for crappy packaging (true) and then blaming them for our problems hasn't convinced Bezos that FedEx is a loser.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

The managers don't care if your safe or not until there's an accident that makes them look bad.

They'll throw you into an unfamiliar vehicle, put the screws to you to get out the building, fast. Expect you to be driving the unfamiliar vehicle, fast. Etc.

Recipe for disaster.

Be safe everyone. And the less you listen to managers, the better off you'll be.

STFXG

There was nothing wrong with that truck. Guaranteed that guy went to throw it in park and jumped out too fast, but instead threw it in reverse.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HomeDelivery

common sense should have kicked in... hmm, i'm on a hill ~ lemme pull the parking brake handle

those sprinters have the handle on the same side as the gear selector... should have been drilled in that he should use the parking brake at every stop

especially when we leave the vehicle running most of the time:innocent:

HomeDelivery

ever driven those sprinters? not the 1st generation...

those shifters can easily be bumped into any gear; they don't have a push-lock button like the workhorse /freightliner stepvans... i also sometimes bump it into manual-mode by hitting it left/right

pretty sure if he engaged the parking brake lever, it would have stayed put, even in gear (under idle); give it a try & report back

the rear disc/drum setup of these expensive mercedes vans doesn't rely on the rear disc brake pads to hold the vehicle in place... instead, it has a drum brake setup for the parking brakes inside the rotor hat
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i had a GMC boxvan that relied on the brake pads only as both the parking and working rear brakes... they wore out on me & i told the contractor that the problem were worn rear pads... didn't listen and to the tune of $1k repair, learned his lesson not to put it off

pad slid off & caliper piston popped out... new rotors too since it was metal-to-metal

if he caught it in time, only pads were needed & those are under $50

STFXG

ever driven those sprinters? not the 1st generation...

those shifters can easily be bumped into any gear; they don't have a push-lock button like the workhorse /freightliner stepvans... i also sometimes bump it into manual-mode by hitting it left/right

pretty sure if he engaged the parking brake lever, it would have stayed put, even in gear (under idle); give it a try & report back

the rear disc/drum setup of these expensive mercedes vans doesn't rely on the rear disc brake pads to hold the vehicle in place... instead, it has a drum brake setup for the parking brakes inside the rotor hat
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i had a GMC boxvan that relied on the brake pads only as both the parking and working rear brakes... they wore out on me & i told the contractor that the problem were worn rear pads... didn't listen and to the tune of $1k repair, learned his lesson not to put it off

pad slid off & caliper piston popped out... new rotors too since it was metal-to-metal

if he caught it in time, only pads were needed & those are under $50

That is a first gen sprinter. It has the T1N front end and I'm pretty sure that's a dodge grill. Probably an 05-07. Though it is a bit hard to tell watching it on my phone. I could be wrong.

There's no flat spot on the gear selector where the operator could have put it in "false park". It either springs back in to reverse or locks in to park.

A mechanical failure on the nag1 transmission that would cause it to slip in to reverse just didn't happen.
Confident enough that id bet the farm if I was in Vegas.

Sent using BrownCafe App