What on-route customers are saying to drivers

I said it just barely loud enough to where I heard it. With the music blaring in the background I am sure none of the "patrons" heard it or, as you put it, they would have kicked this skinny white guy's ass.

Two people you can never talk bad about and get away with no matter how quietly you think you're doing it are drunks and women.
Death is all but assured when doing it around a drunk woman.

Indecisi0n

I said it just barely loud enough to where I heard it. With the music blaring in the background I am sure none of the "patrons" heard it or, as you put it, they would have kicked this skinny white guy's ass.

This true statement is a sad commentary on our world today.

I had a delivery for a bar yesterday. This bar, to be polite, is not the kind of place you would go for a nice quiet night with your spouse or SO----it's a dump frequented by welfare scum. As I am making the delivery of lottery tickets some of the regulars start making comments----"United Pot Smokers" and "United Partial Service" were two of the more family-friendly responses I received. As I walked out I said just loud enough to be heard, "Must be nice to be able to sit in a bar all day".

You talk more :censored2: than management.

C

chuchu

They do when these people are giving me crap while I am trying to do my job from which I pay taxes which allows them to sit on their asses and drink beer in a dumpy bar all day long.
Be thankful you have the job you have and background support when you were growing up that instilled a much different outlook than some others have.

Judging people for where they are won't change where theyre going. And like cach says, you may get a tune up and THEN lose your job for your response that started the fight.

That's how the company will view it ... when they pick you up from the hospital

C

chuchu

Some of the most gracious and kind people I know have little and expect little from life.

They may sit in a bar a lot but they are humble and would never judge someone else they don't know.

They may expect more kindness from you and me because they consider us as having "made it" in life.

Don't degrade others in your mind because minus this job, your taxable income may be less than theirs.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This true statement is a sad commentary on our world today.

I had a delivery for a bar yesterday. This bar, to be polite, is not the kind of place you would go for a nice quiet night with your spouse or SO----it's a dump frequented by welfare scum. As I am making the delivery of lottery tickets some of the regulars start making comments----"United Pot Smokers" and "United Partial Service" were two of the more family-friendly responses I received. As I walked out I said just loud enough to be heard, "Must be nice to be able to sit in a bar all day".
Thats mostly the type, who had ignorant things to say. No matter what the reason for fail was, most people understand storms, back ups, chain reaction, logistics, and hours. When you dont work, sit around all day, seems like your time last longer than ours does.

I doubt many people besides us, can tell someone what time it is to the exact minute, Like we can. I know when I am on the clock, I KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS, LOL

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Some of the most gracious and kind people I know have little and expect little from life.

They may sit in a bar a lot but they are humble and would never judge someone else they don't know.

They may expect more kindness from you and me because they consider us as having "made it" in life.

Don't degrade others in your mind because minus this job, your taxable income may be less than theirs.

I was not degrading them. I am jealous. And I was not talking about the retired guys enjoying their due at the VFW. They can pick on me all they want. They earned it. I know the type you speak of. That is not who I mean.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I pretty much agree with Upstate on this one. If I walk into a place doing my job and people start running their mouths about some Bull sheet, I might get a little smart with them myself. There are certain places, however (the hood) where I'll just think it as I walk out.

If someone spit on me, like was mentioned earlier here, all bets are off. You spit on me trying to get a reaction, and you're probably not going to like how I respond.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
These are the type of bon vivants that have the sophisticated wit to refer to us as "easy money" then chortled endlessly into their adult beverage.

Overpaid Union Thug

I always dread delivering to bars. I've never had trouble in the hood even though I've been to multiple housing projects in town hundreds of times. It's always bars where someone has something to say. I've only responded to any of it once and it was pretty much like how UpState responded. I mean think about this for a second……who goes to a bar in the early afternoon? Seems like mostly degenerate drunks. Besides them I just can't stand walking into any place where I immediately start choking on cigarette smoke.

Not one customer has commented about "the fail" so far. One girl gave me an evil look after I handed her something form Amazon that was a second day shipment. I guess it actually took five.

oldngray

nowhere special
Everyone in a bar that started drinking at noon thinks he is a comedian - or a rocket scientist. Most of those people have already successfully killed what few functional brain cells they started with. And its the same bars where people are like that. I never had any problems at places like VFW where guys drink but worked for a living and now are relaxing in retirement.

Overpaid Union Thug

Well that'll teach YOU to get it there on time next time, dammit!

Yeah. Or she might have been pissed that she had been woke up from her coma. I didn't care. I was in a great mood. It was the day after Christmas and was 67 stops on a rural route that normally gets double that. I worked an easy 6.5 hours. It felt like saturday driving. Yesterday was easy too but was 8.5 hours.

brownrod

What are you hearing from your customers?

The rest of the story:
1) UPS management sucks
2) UPS needs to hire more drivers
3) A fail to plan is a plan to fail
4) Too many people waited until the last minute to order
5) UPS needs to give you your turkey
6) UPS really missed their volume forecast
7) Amazon really missed their volume forecast
8) UPS is understaffed
9) Screw UPS. I'm using USPS next year!

I only had one negative experience that I can remember. Doing a 99.9% residential route I had a pretty positive peak. Everyone was happy to get their stuff and would generally say nice things.

Day after Christmas back to doing a business route. Only one guy was angry but he is always angry. He's the type of guy that believes he deserves his deliveries by 9 AM every day and that because his business does something like 40,000$ in business with UPS per year he needs to be treated like UPS exists due to his massive contribution to our revenue.

This dude was pissed because all the crap he didn't get by christmas. All I said was "UPS won't spend billions to gear up for a few days of excessive volume" and went away.

I truly cannot stand these types of customers and try to not interact in any way with them.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Since I am in feeders, and work nights, I have very little contact with "customers". I did have two notable things happen. One was the Thursday before peak, and I had stopped at a store to get a bottle of water. I had to make a third round trip to the hub, so it was 630ish friday morning. As I exited the store, some one coming in sorta asked me if that was a load of missed packages. I replied, No, I am on time, and those packages will be out for delivery in less than 3 hours. They backed up, and said that all they had heard was that we were behind. I told him that they maybe were behind somewhere's else, but not in MY center.
I then went to the bank on the day after Christmas, and the teller asked me what was going on with UPS. I told her that all the media were talking about was the weather delays in the middle of the country, and the center I served was cleaned up, but that was good news, and the media didn't care about that. She then thanked me for making sure her package made it safe and sound.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used one of my gift cards to go out to dinner tonight (thank you Brown Funeral Home) and both the waitress and another diner asked me about the backlog. I politely advised both not to believe everything you see on the national news.

kingOFchester

I never walked around in my browns like I was a Command Sergeant Major in dress white uniform, but the last two days my step had a little less swag.

From what I saw on UPS' FB page we're batting about .750 with happy customers which is good enough to get you into Cooperstown. The other .250 we'll never make happy in the first place.