What on-route customers are saying to drivers

Marne Vet

I always dread delivering to bars. I've never had trouble in the hood even though I've been to multiple housing projects in town hundreds of times. It's always bars where someone has something to say. I've only responded to any of it once and it was pretty much like how UpState responded. I mean think about this for a second……who goes to a bar in the early afternoon? Seems like mostly degenerate drunks. Besides them I just can't stand walking into any place where I immediately start choking on cigarette smoke.

Not one customer has commented about "the fail" so far. One girl gave me an evil look after I handed her something form Amazon that was a second day shipment. I guess it actually took five.

I deliver to a Projects on my trip, and I'd rather be in there than any of the bars I've had to deliver to. There was one during Peak two years ago, and it's the same thing every time. I had an NDA, go in there around 10 AM, and there's a bunch of drunks at the bar. Everyone's a comedian when they're drinking, so one a-hole says "Hey, you got my package? (laughs at his own joke)", and I ignore him. Then he says "Hey, what do you get when you cross FedEx and UPS? (starts laughing)" Yeah, we've all heard this stupid joke thousands of times, so I reply "You get a drunk guy that isn't funny?" (everyone else starts laughing at him) Now the dope wants to call ME the a-hole as I'm walking out. Fast forward ten hours and I'm back to the same bar with a Ground we couldn't find in the morning, and those losers are still sitting in the same seats drinking. Same drunk says "You find my package or are you still FedUp? haha". Just smiled and said "Nope, and you had ten hours and still couldn't write a funny joke. Lets try again tomorrow. I bet you you're still sitting in that same seat doing nothing". I hate drunks, and delivering to bars. Bunch of losers.

C

chuchu

I was not degrading them. I am jealous. And I was not talking about the retired guys enjoying their due at the VFW. They can pick on me all they want. They earned it. I know the type you speak of. That is not who I mean.
That wast posted for you. It was posted for Upstate.

C

chuchu

I deliver to a Projects on my trip, and I'd rather be in there than any of the bars I've had to deliver to. There was one during Peak two years ago, and it's the same thing every time. I had an NDA, go in there around 10 AM, and there's a bunch of drunks at the bar. Everyone's a comedian when they're drinking, so one a-hole says "Hey, you got my package? (laughs at his own joke)", and I ignore him. Then he says "Hey, what do you get when you cross FedEx and UPS? (starts laughing)" Yeah, we've all heard this stupid joke thousands of times, so I reply "You get a drunk guy that isn't funny?" (everyone else starts laughing at him) Now the dope wants to call ME the a-hole as I'm walking out. Fast forward ten hours and I'm back to the same bar with a Ground we couldn't find in the morning, and those losers are still sitting in the same seats drinking. Same drunk says "You find my package or are you still FedUp? haha". Just smiled and said "Nope, and you had ten hours and still couldn't write a funny joke. Lets try again tomorrow. I bet you you're still sitting in that same seat doing nothing". I hate drunks, and delivering to bars. Bunch of losers.
No response is the best response.

What we want to say to a drunk while in unform is best not said.

If an altercation starts because I answered someone who's drunk in the same nonprofessional way they talked to me I can tell you that UPS will not tolerate it unless someone physically assaulted or threatened me without being provoked.

Verbally getting even with a rude person isn't worth the possible aftermath I may have to answer for in a hearing no matter how my manhood is degraded.

C

chuchu

I always dread delivering to bars. I've never had trouble in the hood even though I've been to multiple housing projects in town hundreds of times. It's always bars where someone has something to say. I've only responded to any of it once and it was pretty much like how UpState responded. I mean think about this for a second……who goes to a bar in the early afternoon? Seems like mostly degenerate drunks. Besides them I just can't stand walking into any place where I immediately start choking on cigarette smoke.

Not one customer has commented about "the fail" so far. One girl gave me an evil look after I handed her something form Amazon that was a second day shipment. I guess it actually took five.
Third shifters go into bars from morning thru lunch time. It's their evening.

Marne Vet

No response is the best response.

What we want to say to a drunk while in unform is best not said.

If an altercation starts because I answered someone who's drunk in the same nonprofessional way they talked to me I can tell you that UPS will not tolerate it unless someone physically assaulted or threatened me without being provoked.

Verbally getting even with a rude person isn't worth the possible aftermath I may have to answer for in a hearing no matter how my manhood is degraded.

Nah, I'll respectfully disagree. Talk :censored2: to me when I'm working, and expect a sarcastic reply every time. I have yet to have a meeting with a center manager for replying to an a-hole. If you verbally assault me, then I'll defend myself as cleverly as possible. At that point it's their own fault if they start to bleed into a rag. Not mine.

C

chuchu

Nah, I'll respectfully disagree. Talk :censored2: to me when I'm working, and expect a sarcastic reply every time. I have yet to have a meeting with a center manager for replying to an a-hole. If you verbally assault me, then I'll defend myself as cleverly as possible. At that point it's their own fault if they start to bleed into a rag. Not mine.
Have at it. Be prepared for the outcome. UPS has zero tolerance for that.

brostalss

Got a few jabs here and there, but with five stops left on Thursday, one customer said, it's a sign you're growing. That made my day.

We have a high class problem.

A lot of things happened at once to cause this mishap. Not one person or company to blame it on. I just hope that next year, we are more than ready for a change.
(This is where Top Brass should start getting input from Sups to Drivers to loaders) Some fresh ideas may solve such a problem from ever happening again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Got a few jabs here and there, but with five stops left on Thursday, one customer said, it's a sign you're growing. That made my day.

We have a high class problem.

A lot of things happened at once to cause this mishap. Not one person or company to blame it on. I just hope that next year, we are more than ready for a change.
(This is where Top Brass should start getting input from Sups to Drivers to loaders) Some fresh ideas may solve such a problem from ever happening again.
center manager is probably as low as it goes by the nature of the perspective of the job.

Marne Vet

chuchu is right---we are the professionals and should not sink to their level.

When you take a dump do rainbows, unicorns, and the smell of roses fly out of your butt? Sorry, but when I :censored2: it stinks. I also work in the hood, so excuse me when I don't act like there are angels and cherubs flying around my head at work.

A

anonymous6

I think the media went way out of their way to find the ONE whiner out of the hundred that would complain about their Christmas. I have heard NOT one complaint since Christmas.

almost everyone agrees that UPS management dropped the ball on this one. everyone loves their UPS driver.

these whiners would be the ones that would complain about the taxes they would have to pay on a 600 million lottery win.

C

chuchu

When you take a dump do rainbows, unicorns, and the smell of roses fly out of your butt? Sorry, but when I :censored2: it stinks. I also work in the hood, so excuse me when I don't act like there are angels and cherubs flying around my head at work.
Been there 19+ myself. Worked the "hood" for 18 yrs. Been a steward about 6 yrs.
Twelve people were shot and killed and six stabbed in 7 months on my old route. I know about violence and what to say when and what not to say. Being professional saved my neck one night when faced with six guys threatening me because of my skin color.
A harsh answer brings more trouble from people who are trouble.
I'm not judging you or how your handle your situations but diffusing a situation with a soft or no response will save your job.

Saying something course back may start something that has no good outcome and UPS will not tollerate unprofessional actions if push comes to shove...especially if it involves law enforcement and or media attention. It will be out of the center manager's hands from the get go.

A soft or no answer defers wrath.
Its not worth the gamble.

Marne Vet

Opinion noted. Nothing I said was derogatory to the drunk(s), and if they didn't like it, then they learned to keep their mouths shut. Like I've always told management; if you ask me something, or say something to me, I'll answer you. You might not like it, but that's your problem. Sarcasm isn't a cardinal sin.