What options do I have other than quitting?

Long story short I worked at ups last year just pt package handler I was hired during peak and left in May because I was moving out of state. Things fell through and I moved back and got another job at the same hub as before but now on night shift instead of twilight. I got a withdrawal card when I left and turned it in when I was told I was rehired after peak so I am in the union. The manager hates me with a passion I called out a few weeks ago because of 6 inches of snow and told him I wouldn't be able to make it in that night and was told "if you don't come in tonight you might not have a job tomorrow." At the advice of coworkers I didn't let him intimidate me and didn't show up and only 4 people in the unload area at my hub which is 20 bay doors did show up and when I went to work the following day I was singled out and called to the managers office to be talked to about it. Since then I've been being sent to load truck with no prior experience because they say my old supervisor from when I worked there before told them I have load experience when I only worked in the unload and small sort. After being "trained" to load which was nothing more than a supervisor working in the truck with me for about 20 minutes and then leaving and telling me I'll figure it out I've now been sent to load after unloading almost every night for 3-4 weeks or so. And tonight I joked with the supervisor who repeatedly tells me every time I load that I'm the worst loader he's ever seen that me loading isn't going to happen all the time because I'll just clock out and leave because i can't be forced overtime with no seniority or other employees might start filing grievances and then went on my way to load. While loading a different supervisor came and told me my ft supervisor wanted to see me before I left tonight and when I went to find him I was taken to the manager who doesn't like me's office and written up for "insubordination" even tho it did exactly what I was told to do. So what are my options in how would be best to handle this? Just file grievance after grievance for every little thing I can and drown them in paperwork? Or go to the union hall and bring it up to them? Or just bend over and grab my ankles and smile and take it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

alwaysoverallowed

Hate to say it but just tough it out or file a grievance. They're most likely not going to fire you I mean seriously how many people want to do what you do at the hours you do it for the pay you get? Think about it. Management just wants you to quit so they're hassling you it's happens to everyone who works at ups from the day they're hired until the day they retire. We had a circle of honor driver getting hassled the week he was retiring about his sporh.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I'd just load really :censored2:ty walls and inform them every time they complained that I had not been properly trained in loading.

File for harassment if you were singled out.

vowl

up late
The only way to learn to load is load. Sometimes boxes will fall down on you. You have your job, the bosses have theirs.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wow, so many terrible advice. You definitely need to file a grievance and rebut that warning letter, or else it will go on your file and they can (and will) suspend you for any little think you do wrong next, then fire you next. Right now, they are trying to get rid of you, they just completed the first step. It's your choice whether to accept it and kiss their asses, or man up and find your shop steward and file a grievance (within 5 business days). If your shop steward is a sellout and on managements' side (which isnt uncommon these days), you need to go to your union hall, tell them everything you told on here, and file a grievance on the warning letter. You need to start working by the methods, don't give them any dirt to write you up for. Remember, you cant be fired for going slowly. Go slowly and follow the methods. File a grievance for every box they touch or every union work you see them performing. If you see anything unsafe (even the smallest thing) going on in your building, call the ups hotline number and tell them, and also report it to osha. If they keep harassing you after, file a harassment grievance and rebut every warning letter or suspension that's given to you as retaliation.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What is this "loading all the time isn't going to happen because I'll just clock out and leave."? That is insubodination....You don't determine when you go home...your sup tells you when to leave. You don't decide whether you load or unload....you work as directed. Put on your big boy pants or quit.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

The only way you're going to get better at loading is by practicing. It's not something you just come in and nail. Look at it as a puzzle. Find places that the boxes fit. Not to mention there isn't a whole detailed training when it comes to loading trailers. You know what we tell our new guys? Get in that trailer, stack it as high as you can, and fill as much space as you can. If you can't get it down they may just pull you out of the trailer and put you somewhere else.

The sups at my center joke that I'm the worst loader they've ever seen. So what did they do? They yanked me out of the trailer and threw me in smalls and address corrections where I can actually do well. Unless the only thing they ever need people for is loading trailers (which is unlikely) you will probably end up somewhere else.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There is only unemployment. Which would you rather. Mc Donald's maybe?
ifwt-mcdonalds-mistake1-1.jpg

Then again......maybe not! lol

9.5er

Stick with it and keep your mouth shut. I agree the comment you made was the reason you were pulled in the office. You were being insubordinate.
New hires used to always get thrown into the load first thing. We referred to them as fresh blood. If you can't handle loading trailers you can't handle any of the easier jobs.
I know I'd be pissed if I were loading trailers and a less senior person were doing smalls or clerking.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Where was your steward during all this? Especially when your boss was writing you up??? If you didn't have representation then it didn't happen.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
There is a 1 800 number you can call. I have been in these situations, and I know a lot of UPSers don't like this but I have all but given up on asking the Union for help. I know they are different in other parts of the country but my area is terrible. They pretty much hold hands with corporate, and my union rep basically just throws grievances in the trash can. Anyways I know that if you use the 800 number it will light a fire. I've seen it in work, the big bosses don't like to hear bad things about supervisors and they will come down on someone. Give it a shot. It might make the full timer angrier but then you can just call the 800 number again, and get his assed kicked again.