What percentage of drivers drove during the 97' strike?

Inthegame

I can't give away what happened without risking my identity but I can say that the things that were done to that guy we're rather cowardly on the Union's part. Way more cowardly than crossing the picket line.
What exactly can the "Union" do, come to life and dispense harm? Members, not the Union, are the party you're referring to.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There were several feeder drivers who crossed in my building. 1 has retired and the other 2 or 3 subsequently got fired and didn't get their jobs back. The ones that crossed got the silent treatment the rest of their careers. On the picket line there was nowhere to do nature's call except across the street where it had high weeds. The company mowed the grass, even though it wasn't their property. We had portable potties brought in, but the company said they were blocking the vision of drivers leaving. There was a church just down the street that sympathized with our cause. They allowed us to park there and use their bathroom. We took turns shuttling drivers back and forth to the picket lines.

That's what happened to me in '97. Scheduled 2 wks vacation those wks. I never do that and haven't since. Just didn't ever do back to back vacs. Did this time. Got paid, plus strike pay for just 4 hrs, although I would put in 8 hrs most times cuz I was living alone and nuttin else to do. Made money those two wks.

BTW, a couple package drivers "I CAN'T AFFORD THIS" crossed. No feeder drivers
I also remember how slow it was for the rest of the year. They let me use some sick and personal days to take a week off in November.

oldngray

nowhere special
That's what happened to me in '97. Scheduled 2 wks vacation those wks. I never do that and haven't since. Just didn't ever do back to back vacs. Did this time. Got paid, plus strike pay for just 4 hrs, although I would put in 8 hrs most times cuz I was living alone and nuttin else to do. Made money those two wks.

BTW, a couple package drivers "I CAN'T AFFORD THIS" crossed. No feeder drivers

I was on vacation one of those strike weeks. The strike pay was a joke. The union didn't pay for the first week of a strike and only $50/week after that. And withheld dues from the strike pay. So basically zilch from the union.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I've still got the sign I carried during the strike, along with a front page from a local newspaper on the wall inside my garage.
IMG_1086.JPG

ski or die

Ski or Die
Worked in clerical-union. Had one person cross, the company picked her up at a unknown location and brought her to work in a pkg car. I was a union steward and the last grievance I had to process before I retired was for her. Won the grievance, but sure didn't like having to fight for her.

Overpaid Union Thug

What was the main reason for the last strike
On the surface:

Full-time jobs, pensions

Behind the scenes:

Ron Carey's personal revenge.

The funny thing is that the strike was supposedly partly because of the possibility of the pensions being turned into a joint venture between the union and company. Which is exactly what was voted in later. Go figure.

And to this day I still hear that the actual contract that sparked the strike vote was never presented to the members for a vote. If true that means the there was a strike without ever giving anyone a chance to vote on the actual contract. But like I said.....I started shorty afterwards so I can only go by what I've been told. And I'm sure I will be corrected here is that information is incorrect.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The pilots supported the Teamsters when they went on strike but I would be surprised if the current Teamsters reciprocate.
If ups lets the pilots strike with the teamsters honoring it, they're done.

Give the pilots their fair contract now or cost billions and market share later by being arrogant and short sighted.

L

Little Brownie Girl

Ya think? Considering they make a minimum of $238K...
I wonder how much fun it is at 45,000 feet in a big ass thunderstorm rocking boxes in the "hen pit"......just saying might me a little more ..."challenging"...considering they have to land in Hong Kong and Alaska....etc..

Returntosender

I wonder how much fun it is at 45,000 feet in a big ass thunderstorm rocking boxes in the "hen pit"......just saying might me a little more ..."challenging"...considering they have to land in Hong Kong and Alaska....etc..
Hong Kong? Everything is made china they pick up cargo there and airfreight it back to CONUS. Might be cheaper to put the cargo on a container ship.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If you're in a thunderstorm it is no fun because it means you friend*ed up. Dangerous situation.