What percentage of drivers drove during the 97' strike?

Rain Shield

Right to work state. Not a single person crossed. Our local drilled it in our heads to save money, because it was coming. I was a Steward, at an air gateway location. We had multiple pilots bring us food and drinks daily.

Nice story. About 1 week in our LP lady decided she was going to sit in her car in the parking lot and watch us. We had police officers come by pretty regularly. Well guess what, this idiot LP lady decided she would park in the Handicap spot.

At one point she got out of her care and came over and insisted we could not stand on the curb. UPS property. During this conversation, a police officer parked across the street to come and say hello.

She started raising Cain about us being on the curb. I politely informed her that she was illegally parked. She raised some more Cain and informed me, in front of the officer, that she is parked on private property and can park anywhere she likes. Mr. Officer then saw her car parked about 75 feet away and informed her that she was parked illegally and to move her car immediately.

Oh the joy I had at that moment. Needless to say, she was not happy with this Steward.

Does not matter, she got canned a few years later for doing the nasty in her office with a subordinate.

She was trash.

Right to work state. Not a single person crossed. Our local drilled it in our heads to save money, because it was coming. I was a Steward, at an air gateway location. We had multiple pilots bring us food and drinks daily.

Nice story. About 1 week in our LP lady decided she was going to sit in her car in the parking lot and watch us. We had police officers come by pretty regularly. Well guess what, this idiot LP lady decided she would park in the Handicap spot.

At one point she got out of her care and came over and insisted we could not stand on the curb. UPS property. During this conversation, a police officer parked across the street to come and say hello.

She started raising Cain about us being on the curb. I politely informed her that she was illegally parked. She raised some more Cain and informed me, in front of the officer, that she is parked on private property and can park anywhere she likes. Mr. Officer then saw her car parked about 75 feet away and informed her that she was parked illegally and to move her car immediately.

Oh the joy I had at that moment. Needless to say, she was not happy with this Steward.

Does not matter, she got canned a few years later for doing the nasty in her office with a subordinate.

She was trash.
How'd she look?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1461205189.647331.jpg

I still have both of my picket signs hanging in my basement. We voted to authorize a strike before the company came to us with a contract. In Local 728 at that meeting, we were told that UPS was wanting to get rid of the pension like they did the Thrift Plan. UPS was wanting to get out of Central States and start a new plan with the IBT. It would have cost I think $500 million back then instead of six billon later. The Teamsters played a better PR game than the company saying it was all about part time jobs.

We had four drivers cross the line. The two guys quit within a year and one of the women had already put in her letter of intent for management. The other woman just lasted a few years after that. I walked the line a few times and got joke of a $50 strike fund check. After a week I went to a temp service and did warehouse work for the rest of the time.

First day back was revenge time from our Center Manager. They threw everything into our package cars and we had to unload them in the parking lot and split everything up into the proper routes. I went out with four routes loaded on my car and four pickup logs to try to take of. FedEx bought RPS and went into the ground business and we lost a lot of revenue to them.

DOK

Just looking at past articles it mentions trucks were out on route during the 2 1/2 week strike of 1997. Also are those drivers still targeted to this day?

3 out 60. One is now in management, one got fired a few years later for stealing, one retired a couple years ago and was "shunned" his whole career, he was a nut job anyway.

raceanoncr

I was on vacation one of those strike weeks. The strike pay was a joke. The union didn't pay for the first week of a strike and only $50/week after that. And withheld dues from the strike pay. So basically zilch from the union.

The paid right up, here. $45 a week, plus they matched. Total=$90 each for the two weeks. Plus vac pay. Sweet!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When you played competitive tennis did you challenge any professional players?
I played a few.
They took it easy and still won easily.

I had decent athletic ability and I worked hard.
Pros have great athletic ability and they work continuously.
I think I aced them all early but never after the first one.
I forgot trying to serve and volley (my game) ... pros return bullets at your feet or down the line.
I just enjoyed the experience.

I played a lot of top college players ... same result.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I played a few.
They took it easy and still won easily.

I had decent athletic ability and I worked hard.
Pros have great athletic ability and they work continuously.
I think I aced them all early but never after the first one.
I forgot trying to serve and volley (my game) ... pros return bullets at your feet or down the line.
I just enjoyed the experience.

I played a lot of top college players ... same result.
You ever play Billie Jean king???