What percentage of trucks are automatic?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
All new drivers should experience the old stick shift in the nuts at least once, to be a true an hardened UPS Veteran !!!

Agreed! But the old 400's with the sharp edged engine covers were pretty nasty, too.

More than once they brought tears to my eyes after I whacked my knee on that pr*ck.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
There is nothing like trying to park an old time car in it's assigned very tight parking spot without ps.
One has to keep turning the steering wheel back and forth until your shoulders pop .

An autoshop mgr told me that because so few mechanics can actually repair a manual tranny , it is more cost effective just to remove a defective auto ( then sent it out to be repaired ) and install a working one .

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
There is nothing like trying to park an old time car in it's assigned very tight parking spot without ps.
One has to keep turning the steering wheel back and forth until your shoulders pop .

An autoshop mgr told me that because so few mechanics can actually repair a manual tranny , it is more cost effective just to remove a defective auto ( then sent it out to be repaired ) and install a working one .
That's standard with transmissions (pardon the pun). Aside from transmission shops, most garages will either completely replace it or send or out to be rebuilt.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-157.jpeg

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
All of the new trucks go to the smaller centers over here since they don't have very well stocked mechanic shops. Oddly enough, they come over to our shop more often than our older trucks do. Ok...maybe not so oddly enough...I've come to the conclusion that UPS runs despite its self.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
We have a lot of part timers that didn't qualify at our center because they could not drive manual. They could not pass the road test. We hired people off the street as drivers. I guess the youth of today can't drive sticks
Sent using BrownCafe App

I learned to drive a stick on an old 1970's datsun b210 but then again, there was always a manual transmission around to practice on. In all fairness it's not surprising that people nowadays cannot drive a stick, I mean lets just go back 21 years to 1993. How many sticks were on the market back then?

Other than the exotic sports cars, there have been far less sticks being produced. Of all my family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances, I can think of no one who has a manual transmission vehicle.