What Qualities do drivers look for in a Drivers Helper?

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Walk fast, do cut across the lawns, don't wait at the door for the customer to show up. Just put the package some place safe and out of sight of the street, knock or ring the door bell, say UPS, and head back to the truck. Have the stop closed out by the time you get back to truck. When possible have the package scanned and ready before the truck stops. Be fast in getting in and out of the jump seat. Use the seat belt. Have a good conversation with the driver but don't tell him your life story. I personally don't go into anything private about myself unless the driver asks. The drivers I have worked with tend to ask about my employment status. I just go into it a little bit and keep it very brief. If they don't ask, I don't tell is my policy.

Edit: Some other things I forgot to mention, get to the meet point 10 to 15 minutes early. Do some warm up exercises. You'll eventually regret it if you don't do the exercises. On the first day at the meet point get there at least half an hour early. You'll want to see if the parking at the meet point is a tow away zone or not. If it is, you'll want to find an alternative place to park that is at least 5 minutes walk away. Use Google maps to look the area over after the coodinator calls you.

Last edited:

GillEagan

... and stay off your phone, (THIS INCLUDES TEXTING)

I have my phone set to a certain ringtone for a certain phone numbers in case of an emergency or in the unlikely event that UPS HR was trying to get a hold of me. This way I will know if the call is important or not without having to look at the phone. If it is not important, I'll just silence the phone.

A couple of years ago I wish I had done that. My sister had called me while I was with a driver. I looked at the number on my phone and see it is my sister. The driver asked me if I needed to take that call. I told him that it was nothing important, silenced the phone and put it away. I just called her back at a later time. Now I just listen to the ringtone and silence the phone if it the standard ringtone without pulling the phone out.

GillEagan

Learn the DIAD before you meet me.

Sadly some of the newbies in my area didn't get the chance to learn the DIAD. They didn't have any for us to use in class this year. So the driver is going to get some helpers that have no idea how to use one. I am not too worried myself since I have used both a DIAD 5 and 4 before. I'll just need a quick on the road refresher and it will all come back.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I like helpers that have their own transportation and can show up on time. I started my fourth one today and he was a half-hour late. I will try somebody different tomorrow.
I'm sure photog will hop on board with you you can let him borrow a pair if your shorts.. Let him wear a Santa hat

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I like it when they're willing to pee in gatorade bottles, run all the stops, and work without breaks or lunches.

Just kidding.

Not really. ;)

In all seriousness...

I like a sense of urgency. Don't chit chat with the cute receptionists and don't walk like an old man.
Don't get too comfortable with me. I expect you to work.
Stay out of the cargo area. When I need you to help me organize, I'll ask. Otherwise just wait next to the door while I grab the packages.
Be obedient, I promise I'll respectful.
Please remember that while you're wearing the uniform that you're representing UPS. So please act professional.
If we only have one diad, do not touch it unless I ask you to look up something while I'm driving. I had one helper last peak grab it every time we stopped, he didn't last long.
Let me know if you need a break/to go to the restroom/are hungry. I will do my absolute best to make accommodations for you, but don't try to game this.
Finally, understand that this is a tough job, I'm used to working alone or on very rare occasions with other drivers that know what's up and are used to the hustle. Don't :censored2:ing whine about :censored2: to me. I won't tolerate it.

Having said all that, I have two metrics that I take seriously:

1) Safety
2) Service

I absolutely will not let a helper compromise the former and only in the most dire of situations will I compromise on the latter. If I feel that you're a liability to either one of those, you're gone.
Damn dude .. You ain't no joke mo fo!!

Overpaid Union Thug

Be at the meet point before me, be able to walk at a brisk pace and don't run, stay on designated walk paths, remember to knock and ring the door bell, no sagging your pants, no smoking in the truck, and for God's sake don't ask me 100 times if I think you'll get rehired after peak. Once is already too much.

GillEagan

do cut across the lawns

stay on designated walk paths

Here the drivers do walk across the lawns and they expect their helpers to do the same unless it is being watered. Also most of the drivers here don't care if the helper crosses the street in front of the truck. All they care about is that they are crossing safely. However, I do wait for the driver to tell me it's ok first before doing any of these. Also the drivers here will tell me if they are planning to drive up the street before I get out, in which case, I will wait to cross the street.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here the drivers do walk across the lawns and they expect their helpers to do the same unless it is being watered. Also most of the drivers here don't care if the helper crosses the street in front of the truck. All they care about is that they are crossing safely. However, I do wait for the driver to tell me it's ok first before doing any of these. Also the drivers here will tell me if they are planning to drive up the street before I get out, in which case, I will wait to cross the street.

DO NOT cross in the front of the truck.

Direct path Point A to B.

I will park so that we can deliver as many stops as possible from that parked position.

No cell phones.

NO SMOKING!!!

Close the damn door!!

Try to take advantage of public restrooms whenever possible.