What Qualities do drivers look for in a Drivers Helper?

underworked1

I don't know if any other helpers do this or maybe it's just between you and your driver but last year(and we did strictly residential) if I had another stop like 7 or 8 houses away I'd just step into the truck and stand there holding the guardrail while the driver drove to the house. It seemed sort of silly for me to sit down and buckle in for like 20 seconds. Again this was only for a stop quickly coming up. The driver didn't seem to mind...he knew I wasn't going anywhere.
If your driver is being watched...which they do, especially right when we start using helpers, you and your driver will be fired.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here the drivers do walk across the lawns and they expect their helpers to do the same unless it is being watered. Also most of the drivers here don't care if the helper crosses the street in front of the truck. All they care about is that they are crossing safely. However, I do wait for the driver to tell me it's ok first before doing any of these. Also the drivers here will tell me if they are planning to drive up the street before I get out, in which case, I will wait to cross the street.
Those drivers are wrong. They are likely runner and gunner drivers throughout the year. Or just gutless and actually believe that we are supposed to go into "peak mode" just because UPS gives us too much work.

snarts

Oh 18 the age when you know it all

since you know it all why are you a driver helper, you are starting right where some drivers started out
So I can make some money before my next semester starts and get my foot in the door so I could have a easier time getting a job in their tech sector in the future.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I don't know if any other helpers do this or maybe it's just between you and your driver but last year(and we did strictly residential) if I had another stop like 7 or 8 houses away I'd just step into the truck and stand there holding the guardrail while the driver drove to the house. It seemed sort of silly for me to sit down and buckle in for like 20 seconds. Again this was only for a stop quickly coming up. The driver didn't seem to mind...he knew I wasn't going anywhere.

An even more likely scenario than having UPS uppers coming out to check on you, would be a cop driving by and seeing you do this. It would go down very badly for the driver. So don't do that. It doesn't take very long to sit down, buckle, unbuckle, and then stand up again.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Assuming you are telling the truth...and I have my doubts....then your driver was a maroon for allowing that.

GillEagan

More likely the driver would pull up to the next stop a few houses away and make the helper run to catch up.

I've had that happen. I have also ridden with the driver those 20 seconds, and I have walked ahead to deliver. It really depends on the number of stops there are on that particular segment of street that decides which the helper will do.

GillEagan

Shouldn't you be working?

No. I'm still on call. The center I'm with this year starts with helpers a bit later. Usually after thanksgiving. The driver that delivers in my neighborhood is a part of this center and he doesn't have a helper yet. One other thing, It's only about 15 minutes to 9 AM here. Helpers usually don't start until 11 AM.

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hey guys,

I'm on-call as a drivers helper waiting for all hell to break loose after thanksgiving.
I know it's probably a stressful time for the drivers, so I want to make sure I make the experience much better for the drivers I'm paired with. I'd like to possibly get full time work, so I want to make good first impressions.

What qualities do you guys want in your Driver Helper?
Do you like having someone to talk to? Or would you rather them keep quiet?
Any tips?

Thanks

Pics of a hot sister, mother or girlfriend that you can show the driver also helps.

By The Book

Let's see, the driver is not going to have you do what's right and you as a helper are not going to do what's right. You went thru a helpers class, so this is on you!

Ms.PacMan

Don't wear cologne - period. I don't need a headache on top of everything else.

If I'm talking you can talk. If I'm quiet I'm thinking so be quiet.

Don't follow me into the back of the truck. It's too full already and it adds to my stress. Get out of the truck and wait by the door.

It's your door I don't care if it's open or shut.

I don't care if you smoke.

Don't lose your phone or car keys - we won't be retracing the route because we would never find them.

Don't forget that you can read. If you forget where I told you to go please don't run back to the truck and ask me where to go again - read the box.

Don't take my stress personally - I'm glad you're there and need you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Don't wear cologne - period. I don't need a headache on top of everything else.

If I'm talking you can talk. If I'm quiet I'm thinking so be quiet.

Don't follow me into the back of the truck. It's too full already and it adds to my stress. Get out of the truck and wait by the door.

It's your door I don't care if it's open or shut.

I don't care if you smoke.

Don't lose your phone or car keys - we won't be retracing the route because we would never find them.

Don't forget that you can read. If you forget where I told you to go please don't run back to the truck and ask me where to go again - read the box.

Don't take my stress personally - I'm glad you're there and need you.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1448512410.879700.jpg

What about this

wetleg

No. I'm still on call. The center I'm with this year starts with helpers a bit later. Usually after thanksgiving. The driver that delivers in my neighborhood is a part of this center and he doesn't have a helper yet. One other thing, It's only about 15 minutes to 9 AM here. Helpers usually don't start until 11 AM.

I started today. The coordinator said they started using driver helpers on Tuesday. The driver who I worked with last year had gone in and seen that I was on the list so he requested me personally. We were really busy. His super told him he could only keep me 3 hours(yes this will happen) but he called and told him he needed me longer so I worked 6 hours and 45 minutes. I was so tired when I got home. I've gotta give these drivers credit for doing this day in and day out.

El Correcto

god is dead
By day five I expect you to run 100% orion with 3 surprise eams and 11 next days. No late air or missed business. If you can't do that I'll harass you till you quit.