What Qualities do drivers look for in a Drivers Helper?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I look for a helper to be prompt, efficient, hard working, and able to carry on a decent conversation. I've had my route for twenty years so when I tell you to leave it in a specific place, do it. Frankly, I couldn't care less about any drama in your life so don't bug me with your personal problems. Be ready to work hard.

DOK

Don't talk, unbuckle the seatbelt and get out of vehicle as fast as you can and stand on the ground and wait for the package.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I started today. The coordinator said they started using driver helpers on Tuesday. The driver who I worked with last year had gone in and seen that I was on the list so he requested me personally. We were really busy. His super told him he could only keep me 3 hours(yes this will happen) but he called and told him he needed me longer so I worked 6 hours and 45 minutes. I was so tired when I got home. I've gotta give these drivers credit for doing this day in and day out.

The driver in my neighborhood got a helper yesterday. So I'm hoping that I'll be called on Monday to go out.

GillEagan

did they teach you how to use the DIAD yet?

Not this year. They didn't have any DIAD's for us to use in orientation. Since I have used a DIAD 5 before, I'm not worried about that. I just need to start using it and everything will be fine.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Not this year. They didn't have any DIAD's for us to use in orientation. Since I have used a DIAD 5 before, I'm not worried about that. I just need to start using it and everything will be fine.
GillEagan: "I scanned the package, now how do I get to the next screen?"
...jk

GillEagan

GillEagan: "I scanned the package, now how do I get to the next screen?"
...jk

That all depends on whether you're doing a driver release or getting a signature. I'll do the signature first. Press the signature button, press enter, get customer signature, press signature, enter in customers last name, press enter, press stop complete. For driver release, push the upper right soft key (I think it's labelled deliver), select one of the release locations, press stop complete. I'm sure that the big arrow down is needed on the Package Entry screen before selecting deliver. But I won't know for sure until I get access to a DIAD again. However those are the basic steps.

BigSlim

Today was my first day as a helper. The center called me at 10 and asked if I could meet the driver at 1030. So I packed a lunch and off I went.

My driver wasn't overly friendly or talkative but neither am I so we got along alright. He was filling in for someone else's route and he didn't really know the area so maybe that had something to do with it. But he ended up keeping me 9 hours so I guess I did ok. The vibe that I got was work hard and keep the BS to a minimum.

We had about 200 stops I believe. I have no idea if that's a lot or not. I would get out and wait for him to toss me the package then run to the door. I'm tired but it wasn't overly exhausting, a little sore in some places.

He said one of the other drivers had a helper earlier in the week and left him a stop and just drove away because the helper was that bad. I don't know if that's true or if he was just making sure I was motivated.

But I will say there were a few people at my orientation that looked like they would last about an hour tops. Hopefully the dispatcher calls me back on Monday, I enjoyed the work.

El Correcto

god is dead
Day one: Be on time, hustle, learn the diad signature and driver release process(simple).
Day two: be able to run your own stops if I drop you in an area with handcart and packages, work safe an effectively, calling if you have trouble.
Day Three: Less calls and if you do call please not a question about how to driver release a package or how to get a signature.

If UPS is what you are trying to do, I'd go bother HR about your application informing them you are already half way trained to become a driver and definitely a solid worker for part time until then.

GillEagan

I finally went out today. I had to call the coordinator though to get something. He asked me to call him back at 10:30 if I didn't hear from him by then. I did and he gave me to a driver who had asked for a helper but wasn't scheduled to get one yet. He only gave me half an hour to get there and asked me to call the driver. Calling the driver, that was a new one. I did so, however I realized that I probably was not going to get to the meet point on time, so I told the driver that I probably would not get to the meet point right on time. I did tell him that I would get there as quickly as possible though. It turned out I was only 8 minutes late and the driver arrived two minutes after I got there while I was trying to call him. So it all worked out. This driver doesn't have his helpers use a DIAD so I won't be using one this year. I worked hard and fast and the driver requested me for the remainder of peak. No more waiting on the coordinator. :-)

GillEagan

Tell him that you know how to and want to use the DIAD.
He's well aware that I know how to use both the 4 and 5. He just doesn't see the need for his helpers to use one. He made that clear to me.

His driver probably was promoted from a P/T Teamster position.
It may be that he can't handle that
especially if he is chewing gum.
LOL. You are correct.

El Correcto

god is dead
My first experience with a helper sucked. Retarded dispatch on a blind route with pouring rain... At least he got a good picture of what it's like to be a driver I guess.