What should be done when teamsters are found to be working for UPS off the clock?

Integrity

Binge Poster
That seems to be a recurring theme in small centers.

To blame it on a weak Union presence.... is just some sort of "divergent acceptance" from lack of intestinal fortitude. {polite way to put it}

There is nothing I can say.... to "shame" anyone into having guts.

Other than.... "that crap don't fly around here"

-Bug-
BigUnionGuy,

I am of the opinion that when it is a chronic widespread practice the Union Officials should address it and not leave it up to the rank and file members.

Sincerely,
I

stink219

So none of you answered safety questions or Depth of Knowledge 15 minutes before your start time???
Guess what? You're ALL guilty of working off the clock.
The answer is no!! I've never done that. I've only written grievances off the clock. But those have brought me money anyway. If I'm asked to start early, I change my start time.

InsideUPS

xyz......... If I found out that a member was working off the clock, I would first approach the worker and get the full story. Was he being coerced into the act? Was he doing it for special treatment? What was the reason? His response is dependent on my method of handling the situation. I've learned long ago that there is 1 set answer for every situation.

Whole heartedly agree with Stink219......first responsibility of every steward is to first 1) Investigate... then 2) Remediate... this involves talking with management first...possibly my BA.... then filing only when necessary.. Note: How I handle issues is HIGHLY dependent on how much I respect my supervision and management team. Right now....as you can tell by my original answer.... I don't really have a lot of respect for SOME of them... UPS really needs to go back to hiring qualified supervisors... with experience.

tomuchdrama

We have a feeder/shifter that does this crap.Comes in one hour before start time,clocks in then goes an finds the bag loads an starts unloading them.Don"t know how many times he has been told too stop this. He cant sit still for anything,hell one day he is going too kill somebody in the yard,or on the street because he loves too speed an max out the MPH on the tractor.One day it will catch up on him.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
We used to have a guy (thankfully, he's retired now) that would come in and work off the clock for 2+ hours a day just to be away from his wife. He was part-time and a total lost-cause; he had been doing the same thing for 15+ years. It's better to catch the young guys and tell them what they're doing and the consequences of them getting hurt off the clock.
Isn't it illegal in any state to work off the clock when you're compensated hourly?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Isn't it illegal in any state to work off the clock when you're compensated hourly?

This guy was probably mentally ill and supervisors from the previous sort would actually bitch at him because he was getting in the way of their hourlies.. he was warned and even written up multiple times but kept doing it. I guess they gave up.. thankfully, I wasn't a steward at the time.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
As a Steward my approach has been this.

1) Approach the member I see working off the clock, ask them if they were given permission to be working by management. If no I inform them of the consequences and that they are taking food out of another Teamster Members mouths by doing so. If they continue:

2) Inform the center manager that someone somewhere is working off the clock and it is there responsibility to stop it or pay them for that time worked. If it still continues:

3) File grievance stating date,time and members name and ask to be paid for all time worked off the clock under Article 17!

I have had success in my building with this method in all areas.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

1) Approach the member I see working off the clock, ask them if they were given permission to be working by management. If no I inform them of the consequences and that they are taking food out of another Teamster Members mouths by doing so. If they continue:

2) Inform the center manager that someone somewhere is working off the clock and it is there responsibility to stop it or pay them for that time worked. If it still continues:

3) File grievance stating date,time and members name and ask to be paid for all time worked off the clock under Article 17!

Great idea. I always thought Art. 17's had to directly request the company stop them from working for free resulting in discipline, never knew I could do it from this angle. Thanks a ton, I'm going to try this.

Inthegame

I've also had success with that approach, however, and this is just a personal thing, I filed on behalf of the Bargaining Unit and asked for any pay awarded to the most senior in the work group. I'm no hero but I felt if I filed on my behalf it would diminish my credibility with UPS Labor Managers (who all have a major grudge against Feeders) that could impact future decisions for my guys.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
So none of you answered safety questions or Depth of Knowledge 15 minutes before your start time???
Guess what? You're ALL guilty of working off the clock.

I don't do anything work related before my start time clicks. Where I work, our management team knows not to even ask anyone to do anything before start time. It's always, "Hey, when you start, come see me.." or "After your start time, meet in ... for a PCM."

Guess what? Stop working off the clock. If they ask you about DOK, tell them you'd be glad to do when your start time comes around. Grow some spine, man.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We have a feeder/shifter that does this crap.Comes in one hour before start time,clocks in then goes an finds the bag loads an starts unloading them.Don"t know how many times he has been told too stop this. He cant sit still for anything,hell one day he is going too kill somebody in the yard,or on the street because he loves too speed an max out the MPH on the tractor.One day it will catch up on him.

Make it catch up to him at the business end of a grievance by you. They pay you, UPS shuts down his BS.

working up a sweat

I usually punch in about 10 minutes early. I get prepared for the sort by doing stretches . I do not do any work until start time. If a sup ask me to anything before than, I demand to be put on the clock and paid for the few minutes.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I don't do anything work related before my start time clicks. Where I work, our management team knows not to even ask anyone to do anything before start time. It's always, "Hey, when you start, come see me.." or "After your start time, meet in ... for a PCM."

Guess what? Stop working off the clock. If they ask you about DOK, tell them you'd be glad to do when your start time comes around. Grow some spine, man.

Same here brother! In our center they want to review the prior days telematics report with every driver every day! Not until after my start time!!