What should go in the new contract?

tieguy

Banned
How about cutting out 75% part time sup jobs and let us hourly do the work. We all know our job and can do it well with out all these stupid sups taking our work.Most all sups could not do there jobs before moving into management. All these extra sups is for UPS number game!!!! I seen every thing around UPS in my 31 years.

I think you're pretty optimistic. I don't see that many people in your ranks that would want the responsiibility of running the area.

wadep

I hafta agree with Mike23. I'm here in Edmonton, and am still covering 1.5 rural runs. 55 to 60 stops a day and about 500kms. Is what I'd like to see in our next contract is something similar to what our brothers and sisters have in the states. A master agreement, with supplimental ammendments for each separate province. The economy here in Alberta is so different to that of the economy any wheres else in Canada.

farmerbrown

all im saying is that in my honest opinion nobody deserves an hour paid lunch, or triple time after 10 hours or whatever he said

if they offered it to me would i take it? of course...but paying out that kind of money for labor may seem like a good thing now but it hurts the company

I think that you are kind of missing the point here. No one wants to consistently work all of this overtime. Since it is impossible to get time off or any kind of chance to leave early, excessive pay is the only way we have to get management to cool their collective jets. Summer is here and we have guys on the bench starving for work. I really do not want to work 55-60 hours per week all summer schlepping packages. Peak is one thing that we all expect and I don't mind trying to out stud the other guy buy tearing through the stops. Just don't expect me to eat my dinner out of the microwave year round. I am filiing over 9.5's and extremely dissapointed with the way management is pushing us. If UPS is really that broke than for God's sake stop with the crappy NASCAR sponsorship and Ridiculous whiteboard commercials. :angry:

City Driver

I think that you are kind of missing the point here. No one wants to consistently work all of this overtime. Since it is impossible to get time off or any kind of chance to leave early, excessive pay is the only way we have to get management to cool their collective jets. Summer is here and we have guys on the bench starving for work. I really do not want to work 55-60 hours per week all summer schlepping packages. Peak is one thing that we all expect and I don't mind trying to out stud the other guy buy tearing through the stops.. :angry:

ok when u put it that way i understand it alot more.....but im the guy who doesnt mind working 60 hours a week ( i use to but not anymore, they wont give me much overtime now)

but an hour paid lunch is just asking too much.....id much rather not be required to take a lunch at all, but i think the law prevents this, not really sure though

rod

Retired 22 years
I think we should get our birthdays off as paid holidays and veterans should get Veterans Day off.

Amen to that! It always made me :angry: that I had to work on Veterans Day and almost everyone else (other than UPS'ers) I knew encluding my wife got the day off. As far as having your birthday off I would of rather had the day after off :wink2:

Braveheart

Work UNTIL proven guilty. We used to have it but no more.

Our local seems content to let them fire guys left and right even when innocent.

Then they get the guys jobs back but no back pay even when they were not terminable offenses.

They say well it will get deadlocked and you are looking at 6 months easy and a year is rather likely. I know you are innocent and never should have been fired but they are offering your job back as time served right now if you don't fight it.

They say if you can afford to sit it out we will fight it but there are no guarantees.

What is a guy going to do. We need a stronger contract and a stronger union!!!

I am not talking about guys who deserved to be fired and are lucky to get their job back. Those guys should be out the 3-6-12 months not the innocent guys. But as I have seen over the last few years the guilty come back as quick as the innocent ones.

We have even had INNOCENT drivers say at the local hearing "hey I am innocent but I need to pay my mortgage, feed my kids, pay the insurance" to the union rep. They say screw it, I will take it as a 1 or 2 week suspension right now. Let me go back to work.

The least the union should be able to do is get the good guys and the innocent ones back right then and there. The guilty ones should have to sit out for another month or two. BUT NO, the union can not even get that right! The guy with his first fender bender in years gets denied same as the dufus with the 4th tier 3 in 5 years. Then like clockwork they both come back in 2-3 months.

What a friggin joke. The innocent guy becomes disgruntled and the guilty guy gets another pass!!!!

HOFFA has to go!

Last edited:
M

Mike23

I got another idear :D

Work must be compliant with the size of vehicle. If you can't fit it in the truck in the morning, too bad, you're not supplying the proper equipment!

Secondly, if you're requested to help someone, since it wasn't on your truck in the morning, you get double time for helping them after 8 hours of your own work. Anything less then 8 hours of your own work is time and a half for helping them.

You know, having managers actually take responsibility and be punished for their stupidity.

M

Mike23

What good is the contract - and new language/provisions - if the company (and even union!) do not follow the current one?

:whiteflag:

Because if you're 100% right you can go above the union and hire a labor lawyer instead? Although I'm sure the union would be pretty pissed about this since it's likely they'd have to fork the bill if you won.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
How about no local agreements without presenting the agreement to the members of the local to vote on?
How about all local agreements shall be recorded and a copy of each given to all the stewards in the local?
How about a detailed system for how on call procedures are to be followed?
How about a number for how many hourly employees have to be laid off before any management gets laid off?

M

Mike23

A limit on mile or KM to drive for a freaking split (drove 96KM round trip for a split on Monday...yes, that's financially wise to send a driver across the ENTIRE city during rush hour)