What should I do about trying to get re-hired to UPS?

nygiants

I was a driver-helper last month and my driver really liked me and told the coordinator I was ****ing fantastic and picking up on things faster than the drivers he trained and all those types of things. HR mentioned when I returned my uniform how they would be rehiring helpers to work in the morning but to wait a few weeks to call. I called monday and nobody picked up, same for yesterday, so today I called a diffrent number and she re-directed me to the same number as before and had me on hold for 15 minutes before they just hung on me. I really wanted to work for UPS and was wondering what should I do, should I go down their and see if I can talk to them face to face? I'm 18 and I really need to get a job.

wgf46

Yes, every two weeks go to the center to let them know your interested. That's what I did. Worked peak 2010, from January to May 2011 I emailed the Center Manager, they had an opening and hiring. Stay persistent !

nmang2412

My first year after being a helper i did the whole call a week later and they gave me they shaft everytime. After this year when i went to pick up my last check i asked if i could apply for anything. She asked me if i wanted to be a preloader and had me applying on a computer a second later. So, all i can say is if you can go in and ask, do it! If nothing comes of it, next peak try again? Try to ask them in person? BE A HELPER not a seasonal preloader by us they rehire helpers instead of the actual seasonal preloaders!!!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It doesn't hurt to be persistent, but be aware that most permanent inside job openings will be filled by those who worked such jobs during peak. The winter months are the least popular for vacation redemption; that coupled with declining volume generally translates into temporary part-time layoffs (or "transitioned to on-call" as UPS would prefer). Typically, the next big wave of hiring begins in May.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Used, abused, thrown away, and not even given the time of day by the company that wants you to come back next year to help. Seems as though they are far to busy to even string you along. This is a company you want to make an effort to got on board with huh?

I was a driver-helper last month and my driver really liked me and told the coordinator I was ****ing fantastic and picking up on things faster than the drivers he trained and all those types of things. HR mentioned when I returned my uniform how they would be rehiring helpers to work in the morning but to wait a few weeks to call. I called monday and nobody picked up, same for yesterday, so today I called a diffrent number and she re-directed me to the same number as before and had me on hold for 15 minutes before they just hung on me. I really wanted to work for UPS and was wondering what should I do, should I go down their and see if I can talk to them face to face? I'm 18 and I really need to get a job.
When you talk to them tell them you want to be a steward. This should get you in.

WhereDoIWorkAgain

Well in my area at least all you have to do is be able to write your name and walk in off the street. We are hiring at slightly less than McDonalds for fewer hours and no benefiets for a year. Though your pay increases over that of McDs after 90 days and will stay ahead as long as you get a skill position before 6 months are out.

nmang2412

I'm glad you worked as a Helper before trying to get in. I hate people that walk into Pre-load right off the street.
Its funny cause my friend worked as a seasonal preloader and they laid him off and a weekend later i was hired as a permanent. UPS is weird like that i guess?!?!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Its funny cause my friend worked as a seasonal preloader and they laid him off and a weekend later i was hired as a permanent. UPS is weird like that i guess?!?!

Volumes were light the week of Christmas, so it's unsurprising he was laid off. If he's not working again, there's probably a reason why...

nmang2412

See, i thought about that. HOWEVER, hes worked there for the past 2 years and he does the job well. They laid off all the seasonals, they didnt keep any!!!

nygiants

Thanks everyone for their input, I called back today and still nothing. I'lll try to go their monday but I don't want to seem like an annoying ex bf or something. I will give it a shot though.

J

jibbs

Thanks everyone for their input, I called back today and still nothing. I'lll try to go their monday but I don't want to seem like an annoying ex bf or something. I will give it a shot though.

Have you checked to see if there are even any openings at the moment for the center or hub you're trying to get back in with? I may be incorrect, but I'd assume that if they were calling back seasonal employees at all to try and re-hire them, the openings would also be posted on the UPS Careers website.

If I were in your shoes I would consistently check for openings, and apply to any and all that you're interested in as they become available. It seems counterintuitive, but I found that calling about application status with UPS seemed pretty ineffective. The answer was always "I'm not sure, but when we know/your application is processed/the HR person is off vacation/[whatever else excuse they could give me] we'll contact you."

Also keep in mind that it's a decent job, but it's nothing amazing. I wouldn't put all your hope into UPS, and would fill as many applications as possible elsewhere. Jobs are hard to come by these days.... it almost feels like we've gotta take what we can get these days, you know?

Notcool

why would any want to work here as a pter is beyond me. The pay is terrible and the work is brutal. Count on loading until your 30 if you make it

J

jibbs

why would any want to work here as a pter is beyond me. The pay is terrible and the work is brutal. Count on loading until your 30 if you make it

Personally, my light at the end of a several year tunnel is the opportunity to become a driver. Are you saying that you don't think putting in work as a part-timer is likely to get a driving position, or that it's just not worth it?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Personally, my light at the end of a several year tunnel is the opportunity to become a driver. Are you saying that you don't think putting in work as a part-timer is likely to get a driving position, or that it's just not worth it?

He wants to do the crime, but not serve the time.