what should I expect when I become a PT sup on preload?

spoons

I've been working there for a year and a half and now I'm going into management (as soon as Monday). I've already got an AA and they are paying for me to go back to school. By 2017, I should have a bachelors degree and 2 years of supervisor experience for my resume. In my eyes, it's a win-win. If I like it, I can stay. If not, I can leave with a nice resume.

However, a lot of people are telling me it's a huge mistake. Why is that?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've been working there for a year and a half and now I'm going into management (as soon as Monday). I've already got an AA and they are paying for me to go back to school. By 2017, I should have a bachelors degree and 2 years of supervisor experience for my resume. In my eyes, it's a win-win. If I like it, I can stay. If not, I can leave with a nice resume.

Its not a mistake, the company is always promoting young people to become the next punching bag who they can blame all the failures on. I am sure there are many who will give you the same advice as I will, so here goes.

Good luck.

You wont last. They will use you, then toss you aside when they are done with you.

Dont let the whole fortune 500 thing go to your head. On the front lines, its still a dime store operation.

TOS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Because if you don't get your degree and use it outside of ups you'll forever regret the decision.

It's a pretty terrible job.

Ever hear the term ":censored2: flows downhill"? Well you're now the wall at the bottom of the hill.

Last edited:

The Milkman

This is what everyone is doing. People keep saying it's terrible, but no one tells me why.
I find it hard to believe that after a year and a half as you say....That you have not witnessed the crap that happens daily....either on preload, unload or just hearing the yelling and screaming that goes on...once you go into mgnt...they own your soul...They will put you wherever and whenever they need you.you are on the last rung of the ladder...years ago p/t sups had dreams of becoming a friend/t sup and or center manager but with all the downsizing and combining centers more and more work is put on the remaining center manager's I have heard and seen for myself many a story of them flipping out (Hush Hush when they all of a sudden dissapear) The replacement will say something like he/she took a speacial assignment)...They have been eliminating mgnt spots for yrs so there is less and less of a chance to move up unless you really know someone upstairs. They snap after years and years of pressure when they realize that they are at a dead end with UPS and that their dreams of moving up are squashed by some up and coming Jerk who wants to make a name for himself......

The Milkman

Its not a mistake, the company is always promoting young people to become the next punching bag who they can blame all the failures on. I am sure there are many who will give you the same advice as I will, so here goes.

Good luck.

You wont last. They will use you, then toss you aside when they are done with you.

Dont let the whole fortune 500 thing go to your head. On the front lines, its still a dime store operation.

TOS.

Right on!!!!!!

spoons

I find it hard to believe that after a year and a half as you say....That you have not witnessed the crap that happens daily....either on preload, unload or just hearing the yelling and screaming that goes on...once you go into mgnt...they own your soul...They will put you wherever and whenever they need you.you are on the last rung of the ladder...years ago p/t sups had dreams of becoming a friend/t sup and or center manager but with all the downsizing and combining centers more and more work is put on the remaining center manager's I have heard and seen for myself many a story of them flipping out (Hush Hush when they all of a sudden dissapear) The replacement will say something like he/she took a speacial assignment)...They have been eliminating mgnt spots for yrs so there is less and less of a chance to move up unless you really know someone upstairs. They snap after years and years of pressure when they realize that they are at a dead end with UPS and that their dreams of moving up are squashed by some up and coming Jerk who wants to make a name for himself......

I'm not looking to move up. I'm wanting to have them pay for my degree and then have all my experience on my resume.

The Milkman

I'm not looking to move up. I'm wanting to have them pay for my degree and then have all my experience on my resume.
So if you have intention on staying that's ok..I had a p/ter work with me at the customer counter for many years and UPS paid for most of his tuition up to a certain amount..Was in the union..Then he left about the same time I retired and is making good money working for the Port Authority in the NY/NJ area. He did not want to go into mgnt but if you think being bounced around by those over you while you get your degree is worth it then go for it...Trust me it won't be easy...Not sure if they did away with that program..They had it because it was hard to keep p/ter's from quitting...the turnover rate is terrible..You must of seen a lot of new faces in over a yr on the job.......Getting Ups to pay for schooling is one thing, if you can do without the resume you may be better off just doing what you have and just plod along without having to deal with the managemant side of things

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Coming from a PT sup, you better have a thick skin. Them paying for a chunk of school is great. But it is a difficult environment. I personally enjoy the challenge of the job. I enjoy analyzing situations and finding the most efficient way to do things. But not everywhere will give you that freedom.

Don't always take advice from people who haven't been there. It's easy to say you know what it's like when you've never actually done it.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Just don't do it, I honestly don't know why the vets aren't watching out for you guys anymore. I really get tired of repeating myself. It is literally the worst position at UPS. You are now lower than a loader or unloader. You have no union protection. You have no true power, the chances of you going full time are slim to none. You are treated like garbage. You don't feel like working a Saturday sort? Well to bad it's not an option. Your employees and your bosses are going to take a dump on you every single day. You are a nobody in a blue shirt. I have never met a part time sup who said they made the right choice. But go ahead and do it, I know you will because you think wearing a polo will make you somebody. Everyone else will just roll their eyes at you.

UPSGUY72

WOW it took them a year to ask you to become a PT Sup. Usually they ask the wet behind the ear weak minded within the first couple of weeks to become a PT Sup. They figure that if they wait to long you catch on to how bad the job is and not want to become one. Apparently even after a year you haven't figured it out..... good luck.