What Should We Do If Fred Wins?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not the same job, yet deserve the same pay? I made my point. And DS, yes.....I have had my truck so full I can't close the back door. Though, very few FedEx couriers have had that problem on a normal day. Now, throw some Ground packages (a la UPS) and it would happen more. THAT'S where the difference lies.

What I and DS meant is that UPS is not the same job that it was just a few years ago. We no longer service the customer, we service the metric. Stops per car have increased across the board.

LTFedExer

What I and DS meant is that UPS is not the same job that it was just a few years ago. We no longer service the customer, we service the metric. Stops per car have increased across the board.
Sounds like you work at FedEx. Stops per hour are more important than customer service. It's not the same as when I started and even less so than when MFE started. Because FedEx keeps their Air and Ground operations separate, we don't get the stops you do. But, more stops doesn't necessarily mean you work harder.....just longer. I'm sure somewhere in the FedEx world, someone is coming up with a plan that will incorporate the 2 in case our status gets changed to NLRA.

vantexan

MFE said 'We'd make about 3 or 4 bucks an hour more at my station', that equates to $5K/year. I agree with the part about taking to long to top out. Though, back when MFE started, they did top out in 2-4 years.

Do the math. $4 times 40 hrs = $160 times 52 weeks equals $8320. Back when I started too in '86. 2 years to top out. I made a mistake quitting but I'm in the same boat many thousands of others are in. If a union gets in it won't be because most topped out couriers are unhappy. Plenty are, but the ones who will push it over the top are the mid-range employees. We want a future, and are tired of being second class citizens. It's one thing to tell a 23 year old he'll just have to put in his time, but a 35 year old trying to support a family and has 12 years in deserves better. So if you are worried about a union getting in you are wasting your time ragging on senior couriers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sounds like you work at FedEx. Stops per hour are more important than customer service. It's not the same as when I started and even less so than when MFE started. Because FedEx keeps their Air and Ground operations separate, we don't get the stops you do. But, more stops doesn't necessarily mean you work harder.....just longer. I'm sure somewhere in the FedEx world, someone is coming up with a plan that will incorporate the 2 in case our status gets changed to NLRA.

Express and Ground are separate at the delivery level....for now. Ground and Air operations are a lot more integrated than FedEx would like you to know, as I've pointed-out here before. If I do 75 stops in an area where there are 4 UPS drivers doing a combined 225 stops, who is working harder? I might have to drive halfway across town, especially on the pickup side, when the UPS driver goes across the street to his next stop. We can go round an round all day, but plenty of Express couriers work just as hard as their UPS counterparts.