What states are allowing drivers to skip their lunch hour?

Indecisi0n

Wrong....

06 just means your guaranteed 8 hrs. 05 is hours worked. If your enter 06 and don't put in your lunch you come up on a list and management has to go back and change your time card to show your lunch was taken. This is why if you SUP says he'll pay your lunch they tell you to just put in 5 or 10 min. so you won't show up on the no lunch list. If you enter 05 you could still enter a lunch and still will not get paid the time you put in as a lunch.

05 = paid punch to punch like upstate said.
06 = they take an hour lunch out of your time.

I thought i said that in my first post.

Omega man

Again, I am on the 9.5 list. Or I should say, that so far I'm not on it this year, because they have kept me under 9.5 hours each day to keep me from going on it again. However, they put enough work on me to keep me out til 7pm. If they dropped the work load down so I could be off by 5:30pm (with a 1 hour lunch) then this would not be an issue.

My point is, they are not going to add work if I choose to work thru my lunch meal, because they still need to keep me under 9.5 hours with or without a lunch. The only difference is that I reach 9.5 hours by 6pm instead of 7pm. Same amount of work, same amount of paid hours. Nothing different. Is this so difficult to understand? None of this applies to peak season. I will take my 1 hour lunch meal, and my second 30 min meal period after 10 hours.

If the union really wants to put drivers back to work they would be pushing the 9.5 list on to everyone. They would come into every building and demonstrate the benefits of as many people as possible getting on the list. In my center, out of roughly 90+ drivers, there are less than 5 of us interested in the 9.5 list. This is a whole other topic, but I've come to realize that UPS drivers aren't really interested in supporting their union, or helping out other union drivers. Therefore, I'm to a point where I'm done looking out for the other guys, and it's time to start worrying about me. This mean putting in fewer hours and having some sort of life outside of work.

What you don't seem to understand is that the company is not forcing you to take lunch, the Union and now the D.O.T is. This is for your safety as well as the public. You are basing your decision whether or not to take it on possible company discipline which is wrong. It was never an option for you or anyone else to skip it because you work within the guidelines of a contract which specifies that you must take a lunch.
My comments about peak and additional work were not directed at you but other posters.
Being on the 9.5 list has nothing to do with lunch. UPS must simply get you in under 9.5 with a lunch taken.
If you really want to support your Union and fellow drivers you would abide by your contract and its terms at all times. Selfish comments like "it's time to start worrying about me" only weakens us.
It's real simple, take your full lunch every day, and file 9.5 grievances if you don't want to work late.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

05 = paid punch to punch like upstate said.
06 = they take an hour lunch out of your time.

I thought i said that in my first post.

06 only mean your guaranteed 8 hrs. If you put in 06 you could put in 5 min or 1 hour in the board for your lunch the system doesn't know how much time you put in it only cares if you don't put anything in and in that case you would come up on the No lunch input list.

Again this is why when they ask you to run your lunch they tell to put 5 or 10 min in the board for your lunch so you don't show up on any list.