What the heck......

raceanoncr

OK, BD, I'll do better from now on. I'm sorry about my negative attitude that's been fostered by corrupt, lying, cheating, stealing, management.
I'm sorry that I've worked my arse off for 29 yrs here only for them to try to take everything away, EACH DAY!

I will do better from now on, I PROMISE!

now, let's see here...how do I give negative rep for BD?

kasaroo

Observation: Since EDD was put into effect, the number of driver complaints has TRIPLED! Could this be because EDD has put so much work on the driver on the street that they no longer have time to take care of the customer? No time to answer a question? No time to develope a lead? No time to show them the level of service that they have come to expect from "their" UPS driver? I may complain here about my job----by the way, this is a national sport (job complaining)---but when I leave the building, all of that is left behind. I treat my customers with the utmost respect and gratitude for using UPS. Their parcel is the most important thing on my truck. It is my job to make sure they get their pkg in one piece and on time. If they have a question, I answer it. If they have a request, I listen to it and fulfill it, if at all possible. They KNOW this and will work WITH me, not DEMAND it. I am mostly resi so the sales leads are few. However, when given a choice, they will ship UPS because they know I will get their valuable pkg---even if valuable only to them---to them. I get some flack for the time it takes me to do this, but I was just honored with "Driver of the Month" by customer voting because I DO do this. That means more to me than any award UPS mgt has given me. I have been doing this for 25+ years, but you Newbies-----DO NOT FORGET WHAT YOUR JOB IS! IT IS YOUR CUSTOMERS! Mgt may care only about numbers, but they will get the bottom line they want if you treat every package as if it were your own.

over9five

Staff member
"..but I was just honored with "Driver of the Month" by customer voting.."

Congratulations Kasaroo! Could you please tell us about this? I've never heard of customer voting.

kasaroo

It is something they have in coordination with the sponsorship of the Astros. Your customers go on line and cast their vote for their driver. The winner for the month gets 2 free tickets to the ball game with recognition on the "Big screen" at the game. Then at the end of the season, we all go to a game to watch from the UPS Executive Suite and recieve an official Astros Jersey with your name embroidered on the back.
You might be surprised how many customers LOOK for something they can do for YOU!

upsgrunt

It is something they have in coordination with the sponsorship of the Astros. Your customers go on line and cast their vote for their driver. The winner for the month gets 2 free tickets to the ball game with recognition on the "Big screen" at the game. Then at the end of the season, we all go to a game to watch from the UPS Executive Suite and recieve an official Astros Jersey with your name embroidered on the back.
You might be surprised how many customers LOOK for something they can do for YOU!

Wow, the UPS executive suite! There's no way we can cut costs there-much better to be understaffed at centers nationwide than to give up the shrimp and air conditioning at a freaking baseball game. Thanks Mike:thumbup1:

They did that in Seattle a few years back. It's a popularity contest. Customers could vote more than once.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sorry to some of you but I'm going to reply.

So the problems with UPS are everyone else's fault except the bad drivers out there? I noted that there are bad mgmt, BD, etc. But when I pointed out that there were bad drivers with terrible work ethics and attitudes then I was in the wrong. Get real, if you don't believe it then you have your eyes closed.

You stated that the bad drivers cost us business, and some of my fellow drivers pointed out that we lose more business due to incompetent management especially in the bd and ie departments. What you need to remember is we can do your job, but theres no way you can do our job, so my friend i think you should worry about getting your own sales leads and leave this site alone.

I was once protected by the union but realized that I was paying money to an organization that I would never use because grew up in a family that taught me a responsible work ethic and didn't just protect the inept and unethical.

My first question is why did you go into management?(if thats what you call bd) If you were so ethical, how long did it take before you lost your ethics? So when you were union i take it you had no problem cashing that check that the union negioated the wages on, or how about those wonderful medical benefits you had for free when you were union? Your right you didnt need the union, and we the drivers dont need a bd department if we have to do the grunt work for you to receive your commision checks!

Once again, I state that to the drivers and workers that do what they can and put their best foot forward, you are what UPS stands for, as for all the others, PLEASE QUIT.

Maybe we will quit, but its not going happen because you asked or told us to! As you can see we have asked you to get your own sales leads, but you probably are not up to speed on how to talk to the customer, or is it your worried about getting yelled at by them because we cant provide the quality service to them that we once could?

I meant to give you negative rep!

Brownnblue

Sorry to some of you but I'm going to reply.

So the problems with UPS are everyone else's fault except the bad drivers out there? I noted that there are bad mgmt, BD, etc. But when I pointed out that there were bad drivers with terrible work ethics and attitudes then I was in the wrong. Get real, if you don't believe it then you have your eyes closed.

I was once protected by the union but realized that I was paying money to an organization that I would never use because grew up in a family that taught me a responsible work ethic and didn't just protect the inept and unethical.

Once again, I state that to the drivers and workers that do what they can and put their best foot forward, you are what UPS stands for, as for all the others, PLEASE QUIT.

Permission to redirect? Thank you.

The first two lines in your original post was directed solely at drivers. In fact, the overall theme of your original post was directed at the extremely ambiguous ineptitude of some drivers, and how said ineptitude costs the company loss of business accounts. While it is very true that you did mention poor performers in other departments at UPS , you did not get into very much detail, certainly not going to the length of having to read complaints from customers or looking at them and wondering if they would have a negative impact on the delivery of your package. So do not try to save yourself by trying to point out that you were aiming your comments at any poor performing employee at UPS.

You mention (with a hint of "I'm trying to make myself look good by making others look bad" bravado) that the overwhelming reason for volume loss is poor service & damages, and that you see these driver complaints daily. Well, what are the nature of these complaints? Are they related to deadline failures? Not being able to get to certain accounts at a certain time? The root problem here would be over dispatching or EDD difficulties. Damages? How about giving more times to loaders & unloaders to handle the parcels? You are pretty vague about the nature of these complaints, so it is difficult to reply. But before you go calling for the resignation of drivers who complain about things like this, why not dig a little deeper and try to solve the root problem.

You mention your superior work ethic is reason you do not need a union. And yet your "if you don't like your job as a driver, quit" just smacks of sheer laziness. This tells me you do not have the managerial skills to try to solve the problem. Most of the drivers complaints on these forums follow pretty universal themes: over dispatching, poor route planning, lack of appreciation, managerial dishonesty to name a few. How about working (or at the very least, responding) to some of these problems.

As a driver of almost 21 years, I can say that my job per se is not too bad. I like the challenges of driving, delivering packages, dealing with all types of people, and doing so within the guidelines of policy. However, I do complain about overbearing, unappreciative, unqualified, and downright insulting management personal that make my employment a discouraging environment in which to work. I will continue to complain, and I WILL NOT QUIT. Doing so would be a loss of an excellent employee. Figure it out.

And to UK guy
Wrong score, but right result!

Last edited by a moderator:

upsgrunt

Wonder why Mr. Gutless doesn't come on here anymore? Hey BD-Dude, a bunch of us are waiting for your infinite wisdom:tongue_sm

wornoutupser

Ok now you vented, NOW go get your own sales leads and stop asking us to do your job for you! We can and will submit leads when deemed appropriate, we are NOT going to pressure and push a sales lead only to have bd mess it up I HAVE NO CONFIDENCE in our BD dept.!! Just stop hassling us to do your job!:mad:

I have to agree with this myself.

My area has lost more accounts locally BECAUSE of B/D and the various account reps around than anything else. The major item lately is to anger major accounts and watch them walk. I am talking about major international,national and regional accounts.

I am tired of seeing leads turned in that are ready to sign a contract, yet the SLIM shows the account lost because of "not wanting to use UPS".

BALONEY!

Probably 1/2 of the drivers in my building are so sick of this garbage that they no longer turn in leads at all or only turn in a few. We REALLY like the " Turn in a lead or get a center manager ride" for harrassment. That also really helps.

May I suggest that you not spend so much time on Brown Cafe and go get some accounts?

browned_out

:mad: In my 18 yrs with the company I can count on one hand the number of qualifed BD personel I have had the pleasure to work with. Oh, and the number is not 5, you have some balls to call out bad drivers when your department down right stinks. GET REAL LOSER!!!!!

Griff

I'll take a driver with a "bad attitude" over a worthless sack of garbage who sits outside an OMS office begging for sales leads any day of the week. I'm sick of people making things so complicated, we move things from point A to point B, simple as that. The only thing you're moving everyday is your mouth, what makes you so important to UPS again?

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Permission to redirect? Thank you.

The first two lines in your original post was directed solely at drivers. In fact, the overall theme of your original post was directed at the extremely ambiguous ineptitude of some drivers, and how said ineptitude costs the company loss of business accounts. While it is very true that you did mention poor performers in other departments at UPS , you did not get into very much detail, certainly not going to the length of having to read complaints from customers or looking at them and wondering if they would have a negative impact on the delivery of your package. So do not try to save yourself by trying to point out that you were aiming your comments at any poor performing employee at UPS.

You mention (with a hint of "I'm trying to make myself look good by making others look bad" bravado) that the overwhelming reason for volume loss is poor service & damages, and that you see these driver complaints daily. Well, what are the nature of these complaints? Are they related to deadline failures? Not being able to get to certain accounts at a certain time? The root problem here would be over dispatching or EDD difficulties. Damages? How about giving more times to loaders & unloaders to handle the parcels? You are pretty vague about the nature of these complaints, so it is difficult to reply. But before you go calling for the resignation of drivers who complain about things like this, why not dig a little deeper and try to solve the root problem.

You mention your superior work ethic is reason you do not need a union. And yet your "if you don't like your job as a driver, quit" just smacks of sheer laziness. This tells me you do not have the managerial skills to try to solve the problem. Most of the drivers complaints on these forums follow pretty universal themes: over dispatching, poor route planning, lack of appreciation, managerial dishonesty to name a few. How about working (or at the very least, responding) to some of these problems.

As a driver of almost 21 years, I can say that my job per se is not too bad. I like the challenges of driving, delivering packages, dealing with all types of people, and doing so within the guidelines of policy. However, I do complain about overbearing, unappreciative, unqualified, and downright insulting management personal that make my employment a discouraging environment in which to work. I will continue to complain, and I WILL NOT QUIT. Doing so would be a loss of an excellent employee. Figure it out.

And to UK guy
Wrong score, but right result!

Its been a long month !!!!! LOL

bugman74

The sales lead program needs some big attention, I have submitted so many leads that I have gotten screwed on, that I am starting to think like the majority of the drivers out there. I submitted a lead for a new store that ships a boatload of NDA packages (96 in one day) and someone submitted the lead as a retention lead, so I got screwed because they were compairing this years volume increase over last years. Pretty nice of them, and yet some drivers get handed leads that net them 500 an month and they have no ieda where the lead came from.

steeltoe

I can tell you from a customers perspective. I am a part-timer at UPS, but I worked for a company full-time that shipped very high volume of International, a pretty good amount of domestic air and ground. We were considered a top account by UPS, FEDEX,Airborne, and DHL. This was a couple of years ago. I was in management and my thoughts about service carried a lot of weight with the micro management president. That is another story.

So, here is my experience in a nutshell from all the carriers. UPS, no other company could touch the ground service and the price. FEDEX, nobody could touch the international service and the price. Airnorne and DHL had bad service around the board, but prices were good. I used Airborne for over 1 year shipping to the same address in the midwest once per week. The never met the comitment of 12:00 pm. The packages would always be delivered around 1:00 pm. We never paid a bill, but could live with the 1 hour delay. They finally caught on and started having it delived on time.

As far as total service, here it is in a nutshell between UPS and FEDEX. If I needed my sales rep for UPS, I had to call his 800 number, and listen to a message that stated he would call me back with in 24 hours. Folks, if I have a problem with a shipment in Australian customs, I do not have 24 hours. I met my sales rep 1 time in 3 years. That one meeting was over lunch to discuss rates. My FEDEX rep, I had about 3. They all called back with in 4 hours, if I did not speak with them on my initial call. They dropped by at the very least once every 6 weeks. They brought my staff lunch, had me and my father sit in their box seat at an NFL game. Gave me 2 tickets to one of golfs majors. These things are great, but the bottom line was service and customer service.

My FEDEX reps were there when we needed them. I never went past the close of business day to hear back from them. We saw them on a consistent basis. As I stated before, I saw my UPS rep 1 time in 3 years. This is the truth.

On the other side of the fence. As an employee of UPS, I have never seen a company that seems to look for reasons to fire a person. Hey, I understand fireing a person who continously does not perform, or does something maliciuos.

Sure, we hear it all the time. If you don't like it, then leave. Well, here is my answer to that. First, if you love your job, then do it for free. This is why it is called a job, not a hobby. Second, we all admit that we are paid very well and the benefits are untouchable, so if I have to deal with bad things at the job, at least I know my families healthcare is being taken care of. I can do any job, if my family is taken care of. Does this make the atmosphere at UPS OK? Ofcourse not, but we all know that we are making a good wage and have good benefits.

I will finish with this thought. This has nothing to do with my performance, it just shows the company's stance on image and customer service. We just had our 100 year aniversary. We all know that the entire world as well as the media was paying a little closer attention to UPS. So what does our building do, they lay off the carwash. Are you kidding me. Our cars are all over the media, people pay more attention to us on this week, and we send out dirty package cars.

Please explain to me how this was an intelligent decision. This has nothing to do with how hard people work, how many stops per hour, etc. All it has to do with is Image and we dropped the ball to save a couple of hundred bucks in my building alone, to take the chance of loosing thousands due to our image.