What three questions would you ask Scott Davis?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. How do you look at yourself in the mirror at night?

2. Have you always been this stupid, or is your incompetence a recent development?

3. How much did you pay for that good sh%t you have been smoking, and could you score an eighth of it for me?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As the CEO of a Fortune 500 company which continues to post record profits in a down economy I am sure he has no problem with what he sees.

2. Have you always been this stupid, or is your incompetence a recent development?

It is very rare that a stupid and/or incompetent CEO is able to post record profits in a down economy.

3. How much did you pay for that good sh%t you have been smoking, and could you score an eighth of it for me?

Whatever he may be smoking I hope he keeps on lighting up.

While I most certainly don't agree with the path the company has chosen to follow there is no arguing that what they are doing is working quite well (for the shareholders).

Justaname

He is underpaid relative to CEO's of other Fortune 500 or comparable corporations. I say we hold a bake sale for Scott.
Retired CEO of Costco Jim sinegal only gave himself 300,000 a year! Said he couldn't even spend that much. Sounds like some of these CEOs could learn a thing or two.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Retired CEO of Costco Jim sinegal only gave himself 300,000 a year! Said he couldn't even spend that much. Sounds like some of these CEOs could learn a thing or two.

He dealt with only about 15% of his 116,000 employees being in a union. Do you want UPS that way too?
At least compare apples to apples.

What about Mitt who took no salary during 4 years of running the olympics.?

brownIEman

That is just base pay. According to a quick google search, Costco filings indicate Sinegal earned about $12.3 Million in 2011 when you include bonuses and stock options. That is the number you should look at if you are going to compare apples to apples.

Justaname

That is just base pay. According to a quick google search, Costco filings indicate Sinegal earned about $12.3 Million in 2011 when you include bonuses and stock options. That is the number you should look at if you are going to compare apples to apples.
Just googled it. Honest mistake. I was always under the impression it was a total 300,000. Still a great guy!

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

As the CEO of a Fortune 500 company which continues to post record profits in a down economy I am sure he has no problem with what he sees.

It is very rare that a stupid and/or incompetent CEO is able to post record profits in a down economy.

While I most certainly don't agree with the path the company has chosen to follow there is no arguing that what they are doing is working quite well (for the shareholders).

I agree and disagree. The stock price today is about $3 higher than it was at the close of business on 11/10/99 so it's not working for this shareholder. If you're in one of the few positions where you're awarded high numbers of shares annually as part of your compensation regardless of results then the dividends and shares are working very well for you.

UPS Basic Chart | United Parcel Service, Inc. Com Stock - Yahoo! Finance=

Last edited:

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
He is underpaid relative to CEO's of other Fortune 500 or comparable corporations. I say we hold a bake sale for Scott.

He's overpaid compared to previous UPS CEOs, but it's not really an apples to apples comparison because that was back when the stock price was increasing and Standard & Poors wasn't thinking about downgrading us.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I dont give a :censored2: about the shareholders. I care about the customers and the employees. The customers are the ones who PAY for the service that the EMPLOYEES provide.

brownIEman

I dont give a :censored2: about the shareholders. I care about the customers and the employees. The customers are the ones who PAY for the service that the EMPLOYEES provide.

You don't give a crap about all the union retirees whose pension funds have invested in UPS? They are shareholders. Just sayin'.

packageguy

I would ask why guys going out with 30 to 45 stops more.
No respect for us drivers, we are on the front line, they know
us we make the company. customer service is our foundation.

pretzel_man

Jim Casey would disagree with that one. He made it clear that we had our jobs BECAUSE of the shareowners.

So, you invest your personal money into companies that don't care about shareowners?

Or is it only UPS shareowners you don't care about.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Is it sustainable?
No.

Do you approve because you are a contract away from retirement?
Yes.

Are you a "partner"?
No.

Do you hear that?
Yes.

A loud sucking sound...I know what your smoking.

PobreCarlos

soberups;

Although I can agree with much that has been said, I see a somewhat different version of "reality" to the situation. Individuals, as "employees", only have ONE customer; the company of shareholders that pay for their services. The customers you refer to are customers of the company....while the only one paying for the services of the employees is the company itself. So, if "customer service is our foundation", then it would seem to be the primary customer employees would want to service is also their ONLY customer in terms of marketing their "services" (i.e. - they're labor) - the "shareholders"

Not saying that's an easy concept to accept, but I do think it's a fact of life. All too often I think we get wrapped-up in talk about "customers" and "employees" while actually forgetting just who is what in our situation.

brown_trousers

Jim Casey would disagree with that one. He made it clear that we had our jobs BECAUSE of the shareowners.

So, you invest your personal money into companies that don't care about shareowners?

Or is it only UPS shareowners you don't care about.

I'd like to see a quote of Jim Casey ever supporting the idea of outside ownership of this company. The only shareowners he ever recognized as being important, are the employees of UPS that buy/earn shares of UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'd like to see a quote of Jim Casey ever supporting the idea of outside ownership of this company. The only shareowners he ever recognized as being important, are the employees of UPS that buy/earn shares of UPS.

Jim Casey took the company public back in the 30's and then took it back private again when the money was flowing in the Great Depression.

I don't know if he would have taken it public in 1999 anymore than anybody else but I suspect he would have if it was the prudent business decision to do so.

I suspect he would not have accumulated the debt that UPS has in the last 15 years.