what to do

over9five

Staff member
My first thought was let him get fired. The talking on a cell phone while running a red light scares me. He's going to kill someone, and when he does, it will be our fault because we knew he was an unsafe driver...and let him off the hook.

But in the Christmas spirit, I would go with Lifers suggestion. Let him believe he's fired for a while. But....this would be a last chance.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Anybody every consider that if the driver in question had wanted Brown Cafe opinions, that driver would have been the one to bring this situation to light on here? Just curious.

UPS Lifer

What is a "Jewish" guilt trip? EXPLAIN?

This is off of "wisegeek" - Jewish guilt is a myth regarding the general nature of Jewish life and culture. The myth appears in a number of different forms, among them the Jewish mother who is adept at creating guilt in her children. Jewish guilt is also sometimes presented as the neurotic businessperson that struggles with the application of religious principles to business ethics. In general, the idea of a guilty Jew can be related to any situation where the individual appears to engage in activities that are self indulgent.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Deardannyboy,

My first comment on this post is that I completely disagree with the way the supervisor handled the situation. It seems to me it was an uprofessional way to handle a situation that demanded immediate attention. Management are supposed to take immediate action to help lead some "struggling employees" to corrective action, not turn a blinds eye or play childish games.

Less than 6 months into my career as a driver I did something similar; I ran into a building to make a pickup, leaving the BH door open and the keys in the ignition.

Unbeknownst to me, my on-car sup and center manager were following me around that day; so when I went inside to make the pickup, my center manager jumped into the package car and drove it around the block to hide it. Both of them then went and sat in their personal vehicle and watched with glee as I came out and frantically looked around for my missing package car.

They sat there and laughed their asses off for almost 5 minutes while I frantically ran around in circles. I didnt know what to do. I thought I would get fired. I wanted to cry.

The center manager finally had mercy on me; she got out of her car and walked over to me with the keys in her hand and casually asked me how my day was going. She then handed me the keys, told me where she had parked the PC, and suggested that if I didnt want to get fired I should NEVER EVER do that again.

I didnt.

UPS Lifer

I'm not Jewish I'm Irish as they come but my boy JESUS IS MY BEST FRIEND and I think Jewish should be left out of it. JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON

This is an ignorant post.
I can tell you this right now... I am DONE trying to be politically correct for the sake of people that make pre-judgements or who are ignorant! As far as I am concerned you are making a pre-judgement about my character. Anyone who knows me knows what kind of person I am. Leave Jesus out of this. This has nothing to do with God! You make me laugh... this is so ignorant!

I was trying to describe a term that I should have been easily understood. ... But apparently not to you! LOL!

Maybe you should get to know some Jewish folks and round out your diversity.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
there have been several good posts. and integrity shows that while he tries to pass him/herself off as the ups i have all the answers man all it really shows is the gross lack of knowledge of what really goes on. with a very few exceptions, all of his posts sound like getting into a conversation with a bot that has limited artificial intelligence.

there have been a couple of pm's regarding my input and position in this matter.

yes, i am retired.

but during my time as a steward, only one driver was fired where it stuck. he falsified his jury duty sheet for time served to get some extra days off. they gave him two chances to come clean, and he did not. even after they proved he lied, they still might have kept him on had he been a good employee, but there were too many issues in the past year, so that was the final nail.

there were several others that were terminated. all got their jobs back at the local hearing. even two others that were fired for dishonesty, which normally will get you the door with out a return trip.

so with that background, i keep in touch with what is going on at the center. i developed a good relationship with local and district management where they knew i was a straight shooter. most of the managers i had to deal with were pretty much like lifer. with the exception of my center manager at the time i left. but that is another story for another time.

ah 88

NO DRIVER HAS EVER BEEN SUSPENDED OR DISCHARGED FOR BEING OVER ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not too long ago a steward got canned and was upheld at the panel that was fired more because of attitude than production. but production, and the importance of the driver to be able to demonstrate his ability to follow instructions and work to his ability were key aspects to the case.

while i agree that production by itself is not a termination issue, couple that with other things in his case the ability to change attitudes and that ups does have the right to set standards and hold drivers accountable. that is what got him fired, not just production.

as long as you exhibit a good attitude, and do your job to the best of your ability, production is not an issue. its when you cop the bad attitude, and challenge their right to set standards that drivers end up out on the plank.

d

I can remember a cocky employee I had one time. This driver came back late to the building when the hub was going down. The Hub Division Mgr who looked like a part-time supervisor told the driver to park his car and start unloading it so they could get down. The driver handed him the keys and said "do it yourself"! The driver did not know who he was....the division manager fired him on the spot and told him to go sit in my outer office.
The division manager came in and told me what happened... we had a great laugh. He said do you want to keep him? I actually thought about it... but told him yes. So he went out reamed the driver and told him that I got his job back and he better change his attitude.

Believe it or not - this guy really really changed.

I suggest that you and the manager and the steward figure out a way to "fire" this guy. Let him stew about it and make him think his time and luck have run out. Then let him have his job back with a reassurance that his attitude will change or next time he won't be so lucky. This may save him from ever doing something foolish again that could hinder his safety or the safety of others including packages. Maybe you could put in some Gross Negligence language and scare the living daylights out of him. He needs to think he has lost his job or nothing will change.

This will be a lot easier if he is married and has a family... you can put the "Jewish" guilt trip on him.

Good Luck - This guy does not realize how much you care for his success but maybe some day in the future he will realize what a good friend he had in you!!!

I can tell you this right now... I am DONE trying to be politically correct for the sake of people that make pre-judgements or who are ignorant! As far as I am concerned you are making a pre-judgement about my character. Anyone who knows me knows what kind of person I am. Leave Jesus out of this. This has nothing to do with God! You make me laugh... this is so ignorant!

I was trying to describe a term that I should have been easily understood. ... But apparently not to you! LOL!

Oh no I feel like I got spanked my my DAD I'm asking a question NO HARD FEELINGS I dont think there is anything ignorant about it SMILE JESUS LOVES YOU MERRY CHRISTMAS.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

while i agree, jesus loves you and merry christmas, there is really no connection between the two.

if you will look at the background of christmas, you will see that jesus, in all reality, is not at all the reason for the season. he was a johnny come lately to the celebration, much after the fact.

it was to keep the holiday for the germanic tribes so that christianity would be accepted by them, and renamed to make the holiday more palatable for christians during the time of the church's domination.

remember, jesus loves you

and merry christmas:wink2:

d

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No matter what the Union does, sooner or later it will catch up to him. 90% of my representation is for the same 10% of the employees. They will get nailed eventually!!!

In my experience.... 5% of the people cause 95% of the problems.

And not because they are legit.... You have some people that are just combative and always feel they have to prove something. I like nothing more than butting heads.... for the right reasons. Actual contract violations and complaints are what most people have trouble working through. Yeah, it might be BS.... but then it is just a complaint.

Kind of the running joke at alot of the panel's is:

"Same case.... Different face...."

Don't let them know your face. My 2 cents.

-Bug-

ol'browneye

While I did not take any offense to your post what-so-ever, I will have to admit that if not for portrayal of Jewish mothers in tv and movies, I wouldn't know what your comment meant either! Billy Crystal comes to mind when I think of "Jewish guilt". There's just not alot of Jewish people in the rural midwest! I think the only Jewish people I have ever knowingly known, (does that make sense?), owned a furniture store I worked at in St. Louis before I started driving.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
A sup once told me that I have to win every termination and they only need to win one.... Makes a lot of sense...... We had a guy that thought he was untouchable, but on the tenth termination it stuck......

A

anonymous6

here its about the same except more like 95% for 5%

already had several weeks off this year because of stuff. the seat belt issue was 10 days off. still has not changed behavior.

d

was that 10 day seat belt vacation a first offense?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Kind of the running joke at alot of the panel's is:

"Same case.... Different face...."

Don't let them know your face. My 2 cents

so what you are saying is dont be one?

"different case, same face......"

i agree 100%

orange, actually in our district, it is an automatic termination on the first offence. they asked for behavior change, and took it to suspension.

as you can see, nothing learned?

d

A

anonymous6

A sup once told me that I have to win every termination and they only need to win one.... Makes a lot of sense...... We had a guy that thought he was untouchable, but on the tenth termination it stuck......

was his name Gotti?

Lets be honest,10 terminations means neither side needed that guy.

JonFrum

Jewish Guilt Trip:

A good son calls his mother to say he will be over for dinner on Mother's Day, but he dials the wrong number and get a Jewish mother instead. Neither party realizes the mistake until after they have talked pleasantly for a while. Eventually the son realizes his mistake and apologizes for his error. The Jewish mother says, "You mean you're not coming to dinner?" :happy-very: