What to expect from my Orion ride?

Indecisi0n

Had a few try to get me to do a few methods that I deem to be a safety hazard. Only time I tell a sup "no" and could careless if he directs me. Have fun holding up the argument of me not backing in a drive way in arbitration when you are firing guys over the same issues. This time of the year is nice getting some free days off.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Had a few try to get me to do a few methods that I deem to be a safety hazard. Only time I tell a sup "no" and could careless if he directs me. Have fun holding up the argument of me not backing in a drive way in arbitration when you are firing guys over the same issues. This time of the year is nice getting some free days off.
Tell them to make the check out to I n d e c i s i 0 n, with zero in place of the o

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
These people are claiming they are management and have been drivers at one time or another. I'm guessing that means they drove for 30 days max and have no idea what we go through. My concern with my routem is I have a busy 2 lane rd that runs on the lake, much to busy to run across. I hope they don't imply that i do that cause I'll shut em down. I'm guessing all the customers who's home packages get delivered to their workplace probably shouldn't be that day. I'll do it by the book, skip the flag stop pickups, and take my sweet :censored2: time.

Sent using BrownCafe App
They are all technically management. Some are temporary contractors in a management position. Some are actual on-car sups on a temporary assignment, some of which volunteered, some were forced.

We had a casual who burned it up and was brought back as a temporary contractor working as an orion engineer (temporary management position). Once an on-car slot opened they moved him to the permanent on-car slot.

JackStraw

Run it as close to 100% as possible. If it doesn't make sense, do it anyway. The only thing you shouldn't do is make illegal turns, residential k-turns, and service failures. They'll be wiping egg off their faces at the end of the day. Don't know how UPS was sold on this thing if we're gonna turn it off for 3 months of the year.

What'dyabringmetoday???

These people are claiming they are management and have been drivers at one time or another. I'm guessing that means they drove for 30 days max and have no idea what we go through. My concern with my route is I have a busy 2 lane rd that runs on the lake, much to busy to run across. I hope they don't imply that i do that cause I'll shut em down. I'm guessing all the customers who's home packages get delivered to their workplace probably shouldn't be that day. I'll do it by the book, skip the flag stop pickups, and take my sweet :censored2: time.

Sent using BrownCafe App
And why not "do it by the book" everyday?

What'dyabringmetoday???

These people are claiming they are management and have been drivers at one time or another. I'm guessing that means they drove for 30 days max and have no idea what we go through. My concern with my route is I have a busy 2 lane rd that runs on the lake, much to busy to run across. I hope they don't imply that i do that cause I'll shut em down. I'm guessing all the customers who's home packages get delivered to their workplace probably shouldn't be that day. I'll do it by the book, skip the flag stop pickups, and take my sweet :censored2: time.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Oops

By The Book

They're heeeeere. How should I treat this ride? Like a time study? Just curious.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Take a 15 min break in your first four hours, don't sort! Take a minimum 30 min lunch, preferably an hour, sort after lunch. Take a 15 min.break before you drive to building. Drive the speed limit! I'm really trying to hammer home on the pt. if you don't take it on Orion ride it won't be put into your on area time. I didn't take those breaks and it has me behind all day when I do, which increases my miles over what is planned. If its your daily bid route drive it like you do every day and let them know of closures and when pickups start and which ones need you there before 5:00. Get used to driving your route different every day. Travel path is all GPS so it's only mapping the stops you have for that day.,not the way you used to drive it. Ask a lot of questions on break so you understand it. Once they're gone it's up to you. If you were bored before this Orion will get you talking to yourself.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Take a 15 min break in your first four hours, don't sort! Take a minimum 30 min lunch, preferably an hour, sort after lunch. Take a 15 min.break before you drive to building. Drive the speed limit! I'm really trying to hammer home on the pt. if you don't take it on Orion ride it won't be put into your on area time. I didn't take those breaks and it has me behind all day when I do, which increases my miles over what is planned. If its your daily bid route drive it like you do every day and let them know of closures and when pickups start and which ones need you there before 5:00. Get used to driving your route different every day. Travel path is all GPS so it's only mapping the stops you have for that day.,not the way you used to drive it. Ask a lot of questions on break so you understand it. Once they're gone it's up to you. If you were bored before this Orion will get you talking to yourself.

It will get you talking to yourself, AND keep you up at night, if you let it. Sorry boys and girls, most of you wont like it. You will spend tons of time crossing in traffic, where you used to just do one side and then the other.
It drives me batsh** to do what it tells me to do sometimes, but thats what they want and they pay me to do it.
In my case and I know I am unique,:alien2: its been a bloodshed. Until I got help from some buds on here, I felt like such a loser, over a program that basically fails everywhere it is tried. From what I hear on here. I am a problem solver, I am a good driver, and this implementation made me feel like I was a piece of:cool_dog: crap. I cannot on most days make it work. Oh I run it in trace, I keep my miles under 5 over, but my overallow is off the scale. Because I cant go back to a place that has only one dock. And there are 5 trucks waiting , so I dolly 40 heavy pieces, or I go over on my miles coming back later. I go through 22 traffic lights, to get to an area, 10 miles away. It now takes me 22 if I hit them all red, and about 15 if I dont, and it used to take me 8, but thats what they want. If you could use common sense and add a few miles, I would feel better, but dont use that. There is no place for that in Orion. Orion assumes you deliver in Clarksville. For those of you who dont, Hold on tight.

upsmaninmi

"By the book" meaning no shortcuts, that type of thing. Nobody here is 100% on the methods 100% of the time. I knew there would be at least one smartass commentator in the group, but that's fine. I ended up having my Orion ride today(surprise, they told me it would be the 24 th). Not as bad as I thought, didn't ask me to go in driveways, run across busy roads, etc. Told me I was actually running 75% of the 85% trace that is required already w/o Orion being in effect. Guess I'll see what it looks like tomorrow after the "changes" are plugged in.

Sent using BrownCafe App

kingOFchester

Orion only works if everything is perfect everyday. But the load is never perfect. Traffic is never perfect. The time I chose to take a lunch is never the same time everyday. The time I chose to take a break is not the same everyday. The docks are not always open and ready to receive. The weather is rarely perfect. Customers are not always standing at the door ready to sign.

Every time you fall further behind, the more the Orion is going to be screwed up. Lets say you have a pickup at 15:00. Orion plans your day so that you are there at 15:00. Often planning the deliveries for that area for that time. However, if you fall behind, which we all know is inevitable, you will find you will be half way across your delivery area when it is time to make that pickup. This causes you break off, which adds miles and more time that is not factored in. Just changing your lunch time and break time ever day will play havoc to the Orion planned day. Add in a bad load, traffic, docks occupied, receivers busy, misloads, signature required packages where the elderly lady needs extra time and so fourth and you will never hit your trace and miles.

If all your pickups up at the end of the day, you have a much better shot at hitting the metrics. But, If you have pickups peppered through out your day, you will have a hard time hitting the numbers.

In order for Orion to work on many routes the following would need to take place:
No traffic.
No missloads.
No bulk.
Docks free.
Receivers ready.
Perfect load.
Customers ready to sign.
And the most important.......wording in the contract that spells out the exact time we are alowed to take lunch and break.

kingOFchester

Another example.

A route I know has a pickup at 12:00. Orion has the trip built based on this pickup (and others). It plans on me being there at 12:00 and it plans deliveries based on this time. Orion has lunch scheduled at 12:30. So if everything is perfect, but I decide to take lunch at 11:00 rather then the 12:30, my entire day is shot.

Last edited:

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
They're heeeeere. How should I treat this ride? Like a time study? Just curious.

Sent using BrownCafe App
They want you to take the shortest possible way around. One driver was going to lunch across and down the street, the Orion dude said lets walk to it. Time studies should be done every 2 years for a fair days work for a fair days wage. That motto and other philosophies should be changed soon so if its not true.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They want you to take the shortest possible way around. One driver was going to lunch across and down the street, the Orion dude said lets walk to it. Time studies should be done every 2 years for a fair days work for a fair days wage. That motto and other philosophies should be changed soon so if its not true.

The only time studies done now are virtual time studies, which can be done at any time.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
The only time studies done now are virtual time studies, which can be done at any time.
i do love those sattelite time studies, great way to get a accurate reading along with taking the the united states average . We did lose an hour about 3 years ago across the board to abolish the bonus system.

Overpaid Union Thug

i do love those sattelite time studies, great way to get a accurate reading along with taking the the united states average . We did lose an hour about 3 years ago across the board to abolish the bonus system.

Here the bonus babies just adjust their foolishness to match any time that is lost. And whine everyday. Some people never learn.

Sent using BrownCafe App