What to expect from my Orion ride?

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
When I run my route I run it in sections since I've inherited some pickups not any where near me cause a driver got fired and his route was dissolved and no one filed a grievance to have it put back in. I have heard the same story from my co workers which makes us look very unprofessional by driving thru the neighborhood sometimes three times. I think your allowed to break trace 8 times. I don't have it yet, the anxiety is killing me.

Don't sweat it. It's not worth it. If you are running multiple loops it will probably turn your route into gibberish. If you're lucky they won't mess with your regular delivery order trying to make it work. Either way, they won't care how much distress their mess is causing you. Stay safe & don't be hard on yourself for their selfish idiocy.

These are MY opinions. Others are available.

upsgrunt

I have an extended area- it's funny that when I run 95% on Orion trace, it adds 10 to 15 miles; when I run it my way at 65%, I save them 10 to 15 miles. Guess which way is wrong? One day I ran it 100%, and I was 70+ miles over.
What I used to do for free in my head, UPS way overspent for a program that has no common sense, or deductiive reasoning, and screwed up my day.
It does have a positive in that it is basically an unscheduled pay raise for me- which is nice, since I am owed 2 raises and back pay as it is.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Trace breaks will depend on where your center manager has your percent effective trace set And how many stops you have. Example... 150 stops at 90% trace depends on number of trace breaks. Ours is set at 90% because we have An over achiever/ butt kisser for a center manager. Hope you don't get it before peak. It's a worse roll out than EDD. Need a good 6 months to START working out the kinks

Paid by the hour
Hope not either but they will relax that at peak too many shuttles and misloads like always (cluster friend)

upsbeernut

I have an extended area- it's funny that when I run 95% on Orion trace, it adds 10 to 15 miles; when I run it my way at 65%, I save them 10 to 15 miles. Guess which way is wrong? One day I ran it 100%, and I was 70+ miles over.
What I used to do for free in my head, UPS way overspent for a program that has no common sense, or deductiive reasoning, and screwed up my day.
It does have a positive in that it is basically an unscheduled pay raise for me- which is nice, since I am owed 2 raises and back pay as it is.
Run more miles and no one admits to failure cause the stock will drop

upsbeernut

They fired a guy and then dissolved his route? No one grieved this? Really??
No one it affected about 4 routes, all that shifting of stops and three different family plans everyday. What happened we got moved to another center and in the shuffle the driver got canned for not reporting an accident then boom route gone ! Its not to late to file if this sh keeps getting worse.

Method$

No one it affected about 4 routes, all that shifting of stops and three different family plans everyday. What happened we got moved to another center and in the shuffle the driver got canned for not reporting an accident then boom route gone ! Its not to late to file if this sh keeps getting worse.

S.E. Michigan? (Don't blame you for not answering). My Orion team member had a better idea what work should go where than my dispatch. She kept asking why I was doing work in this loop while my loop parter was passing me over to do work on otherwise of my route... I said its my job to work as directed, my opinions have fallen on deaf ears so I've stopped voicing them. Her response? "This center is :censored2:ed up". Changes? Haha NOPE!

upsbeernut

S.E. Michigan? (Don't blame you for not answering). My Orion team member had a better idea what work should go where than my dispatch. She kept asking why I was doing work in this loop while my loop parter was passing me over to do work on otherwise of my route... I said its my job to work as directed, my opinions have fallen on deaf ears so I've stopped voicing them. Her response? "This center is :censored2:ed up". Changes? Haha NOPE!
Thanks , our center along with most of them in our building like to keep running in complete chaos. Our old center manager knew nothing about the routes and only relied on the not so popular dispatcher who would give you two stops on a street closer to another driver. I believe their campaign chaos is working, but not in our favor unless overtime kicks in which would be more important than saving mileage. Personally, if they gave us the same stuff everyday like the old days all problems would go away.

upsbeernut

You don't increase mileage by backing up. Maybe we should run the route by backing up all day since we make un safe left turns.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Before anyone gets stressed out about ORION, just remember...you have the power to turn it off and/or ignore it. It can only screw up your day as much as you allow it to.

100% Trace

Before anyone gets stressed out about ORION, just remember...you have the power to turn it off and/or ignore it. It can only screw up your day as much as you allow it to.

Not sure about your building, but any tampering with telematics equipment and ORION functions are an automatic termination. Telematics language is in the master contract , but I haven't read any about ORION. My guess is that is center by center basis.

Paid by the hour

Overpaid Union Thug

Not sure about your building, but any tampering with telematics equipment and ORION functions are an automatic termination. Telematics language is in the master contract , but I haven't read any about ORION. My guess is that is center by center basis.

Paid by the hour

He means choosing "RDO" instead of "ODO." Not tampering.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Should have read that a little better. I stand corrected.

Much of the confusion on this forum would be eliminated if people just took the time to read the posts a little more closely before.

Much of the trivial nonsense would be eliminated if people would read more and post less.

Many of the duplicate threads would be eliminated if people used the search function before starting a new thread.

andrsnbkj

I wonder how Orion will affect van routes? Will it make me try to deliver a stop that is loaded in the front of the truck? Will it make move 400 packages to get to that stop?
orion will make you drive by a delivery address 5 times before you actually deliver to the address GREAT SYSTEM.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ring Sport

My favorite scenario is when you drive right by the stop and could have delivered it out the right side. Then 20 stops later it has you delivering that stop on the left side and crossing (X) lanes of traffic. And then were told to adjust for that. I don't have time to figure out what the system is thinking. I will either follow it or shut it off. I choose the later.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My favorite scenario is when you drive right by the stop and could have delivered it out the right side. Then 20 stops later it has you delivering that stop on the left side and crossing (X) lanes of traffic. And then were told to adjust for that. I don't have time to figure out what the system is thinking. I will either follow it or shut it off. I choose the later.
They said it's "bread crumbs." They say Orion will intentionally move something out of order from EDD to show you the way it wants you go drive back to the next stop. If you did it on the proper side then didn't have anything on that other side, you might drive a different way to the next street it wants to bring you down...but then the next minute they'll tell you orion doesn't understand which side of the street is which...soooo which is it Orion?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Step one: get EDD.

Step two: switch to "RDO"

Step three: use area knowledge and common sense to determine optimum delivery order for stops.

Step four: earn $50 an hour on OT the next morning to listen to supervisor whine and cry about meaningless compliance metric.

Repeat daily.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Step one: get EDD.

Step two: switch to "RDO"

Step three: use area knowledge and common sense to determine optimum delivery order for stops.

Step four: earn $50 an hour on OT the next morning to listen to supervisor whine and cry about meaningless compliance metric.

Repeat daily.
I prefer this one. But we had late air on Friday. I dont know why. Orion was shut off, and I had a glorious day. Ran it like I used to, didnt worry about a thing, and came in with less miles than I have since it was implemented, with none missed. Precious.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
there is much confusion at least in our center, When it says ODO it is in rdo (regular delivery order). The one that makes complete and total sense. If you find yourself finding the job is easy today, it will say odo on your board, as you are in regular delivery order. If you are trying to back into drives, it is in ODO showing rdo on your board. Orion delivery order.