What to expect on first days as a new driver?

Savvy412

back in the day they also used sundials to tell time..

your point? I would love to see these old drivers do 220-230 stops with 135lb packages bricked out ..winter..dark at 5..going out blind your first week, with alll the cars and people out nowadays..with a paper map. They couldn't

the stop count was so much lower 30 years ago. Im sorry but they are full of :censored2:.

I get "get it" you guys used to do this and that and this and that..but times change, its different now.

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd

your point? I would love to see these old drivers do 220-230 stops with 135lb packages bricked out ..winter..dark at 5..going out blind your first week, with alll the cars and people out nowadays..with a paper map. They couldn't

the stop count was so much lower 30 years ago. Im sorry but they are full of :censored2:.

I get "get it" you guys used to do this and that and this and that..but times change, its different now.

Why would you want to do that much work?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Ohhhhh,,,,,ninja edit.

220-230 stops-yeah, we did it.

135b packages-you got me there.

Bricked out, winter, blind first week-been there, done that.

Not all that different. Just less whining.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
get "get it" you guys used to do this and that and this and that..but times change, its different now.
Yes it is. You let then ride you into the dirt now. Your constant need to hurry up causes way more mistakes and accidents than used to happen. Didn't you start a thread a couple weeks ago about an accident you had?

Savvy412

All I know is the vets in my building, tell me all the time about how much better it was back when they used to drive. And most say if they were starting out the way it is now, they would have quit.

Delivery!!!

Who wants to start the tread where we can have a pissing match between the new and old drivers, should be fairly entertaining, I've laughed a few times on just this short bit.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
All I know is the vets in my building, tell me all the time about how much better it was back when they used to drive. And most say if they were starting out the way it is now, they would have quit.

The only real difference is the amount of micro-management you have now.

When I started, I not only was allowed to but expected to make my own decisions throughout my day.

Hence, the dumbing down of the job.

Savvy412

Yes it is. You let then ride you into the dirt now. Your constant need to hurry up causes way more mistakes and accidents than used to happen. Didn't you start a thread a couple weeks ago about an accident you had?

I dinged a bumper. That they literally didnt even write up or say a word about. It was just so petty i didnt know if it was even worth saying anything because thats the one thing on the PC thats made for hitting docks and stuff. But..OFFSUBJECT! LOL

Savvy412

The only real difference is the amount of micro-management you have now.

When I started, I not only was allowed to but expected to make my own decisions throughout my day.

Hence, the dumbing down of the job.

I mean, you guys did it before we didnt. You drove then, and then now. So ill take your word for it. Its just funny how the vets at my HUb..and the vets on here, its like you guys work for 2 different companies.

They said back in the day, you would sometimes have to kill 3 hours till a pick up. They would all meet up and go out to lunch 2-3 times a week. Go home for break. Talk to customers.

Savvy412

I agree, use it.

But don't expect to learn an entire route by following maps on your phone.

I will agree that, sometimes..LOOK UP. its good to maybe look at your phone..see the general area , and then read street signs. Because you can go somewhere 3 times by looking at your phone, and still not know how to get there. But a map over a smart phone..

na

rod

Retired 22 years
Answer this for me:

Way back before DIADS, before Mapquest, before PAS/EDD, before smartphones and Google maps, how did us old troglodytes ever learn routes?

Now days, from what I can tell with all the new tech crap, a blind monkey can deliver a package to any address. The younger gen seems to think that's the cats meow but in all reality they don't have much for bargaining power when it comes to being a needed employee because anyone could do their route. In the end it will come back to bite them.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I dinged a bumper. That they literally didnt even write up or say a word about. It was just so petty i didnt know if it was even worth saying anything because thats the one thing on the PC thats made for hitting docks and stuff. But..OFFSUBJECT! LOL

You were either very lucky or somebody likes you.

I mean, you guys did it before we didnt. You drove then, and then now. So ill take your word for it. Its just funny how the vets at my HUb..and the vets on here, its like you guys work for 2 different companies.

They said back in the day, you would sometimes have to kill 3 hours till a pick up. They would all meet up and go out to lunch 2-3 times a week. Go home for break. Talk to customers.

Those routes were few and far between. I ran one for a year that I almost felt as though I was cheating the company, but when I looked at the amount of NDA delivered and picked up every day, I quit caring.