What to expect on first days as a new driver?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was hoping you would more tell me whether or not it could work. Just an idea from someone who wouldnt know anyway. (obviously)

It would not be practical to rely on turn by turn navigation from your smartphone.

As was suggested above, invest in some quality paper maps of the area(s) that you will be learning. Yes, maps may seem "old school" to millenials, but IMO they are the best way to familiarize yourself with a new area.

You should also your OMS for a printout of how the more experienced drivers run that area.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was hoping you would more tell me whether or not it could work. Just an idea from someone who wouldnt know anyway. (obviously)

Well, beside the fact that management probably won't like the in-cab distraction, they definitely don't like anything that will slow you down.

It's been suggested numerous times, get a print out of the route, a good map and drive around over the weekend. If you need your phone for a particularly tricky address, fine.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Well, beside the fact that management probably won't like the in-cab distraction, they definitely don't like anything that will slow you down.

It's been suggested numerous times, get a print out of the route, a good map and drive around over the weekend. If you need your phone for a particularly tricky address, fine.

Looks like I'm gonna need to...

No worries, I wont mind doing the extra legwork. Itll be worth it

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Timberland boots in the winter and New Balance 608's in the summer.

I was almost a personal trainer and new balances were always the shoes id recommend to clients and friends. I didnt think they'd make the cut for a ups driver though. Thats cool to hear. do you wear them for multiple summers or just one? because the soles in my new balances wore out fast, but I made up for it by only wearing them when I worked out or went for a run

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was almost a personal trainer and new balances were always the shoes id recommend to clients and friends. I didnt think they'd make the cut for a ups driver though. Thats cool to hear. do you wear them for multiple summers or just one? because the soles in my new balances wore out fast, but I made up for it by only wearing them when I worked out or went for a run

I used to be able to get two years out of a single pair. Now I am lucky if they last one.

The first thing that I do is pull out their insole and put in a gel insole.

freelabor

If your center is fairly up to date tech wise they probably have some pirated map software to print maps from. And doing a route with a map WILL make your brain soak up the area faster.

Also pay attention to number breaks, especially in your resi sections. Parallel streets 99.9% of the time are all numbered similarly.

Savvy412

I was going to get shoes for the summer. I wear some nice $165 timbs. But there are so many times during the day I almost rolled my ankle, and my timbs save me . I can almost guarantee if I had some new balances I would've rolled my ankle

Savvy412

I figure when I first start driving im just going to get a mount for my phone and have it on the charger for constant gps.

Im sure it'll slow me down, but during my first couple weeks im assuming i can get away with it
In cab distraction

We aren't even allowed to have a drink in the cab anymore . A phone mounted with Gps!? In your dreams

billerz

I figure when I first start driving im just going to get a mount for my phone and have it on the charger for constant gps.

Im sure it'll slow me down, but during my first couple weeks im assuming i can get away with it
There's no way in hell management would let you do that. If you tried and they caught you, I'm sure they would dq you.

Holydriver

I just recently finished Intergrad, and I want to know what will the next step is. There are something I still do not understand, like "How do you know where to go?" I know you have the address in the DIAD and you have your deliveries with commitment times, but how do you know where to go? If you never been to an area before, what should you do? I need some pointers.
Also, how can you tell which delivery is next, I remember the discussion about centers using Orion, which you have to follow, but what about other situations?
When I started they had me a hot freshly prepared breakfast of bicuits and gravy, 2 over easy eggs with hash browns and toast. I was greeted at my first delivery by a young mother of 3 who answers the door topless (I later discovered my supervisor set this up!) And I was given a free lunch at a local sushi joint...at the companies expense! Upon arriving back at the building, my 10 minutes of PM time was spent having my feet rubbed by a fine young Russian masseuse named Maria who spoke in a very sexy accent. Oh boy, you're in for a good day!

clean hairy

Just think back to when you were new at any previous job.
You had time you had to learn a lot, eventually it became second nature to you.
Same thing with this, the longer you do it, the more it will become second nature to you.
It is normal to feel overwhelmed at first, but as the days go by, it will be more familiar.
One day you will look back and wonder
"Why did it seem so difficult?"
"Now I could almost do this in my sleep!"
Good luck and be safe!

TunnelMan

I just recently finished Intergrad, and I want to know what will the next step is. There are something I still do not understand, like "How do you know where to go?" I know you have the address in the DIAD and you have your deliveries with commitment times, but how do you know where to go? If you never been to an area before, what should you do? I need some pointers.
Also, how can you tell which delivery is next, I remember the discussion about centers using Orion, which you have to follow, but what about other situations?

How was Integrad? I'm gonna be in the same situation as you but the part that is worrying me is Integrad.

Arch

My first day was a disaster. I had about 100 stops and only did 70. My on road sup had to stop by and help me finish the day. I was the last truck back in the building.

If you want to improve fast, take your car and drive your route after work and on the weekends. The more reps the faster you improve before you hop back in those trucks.

By The Book

My first day was a disaster. I had about 100 stops and only did 70. My on road sup had to stop by and help me finish the day. I was the last truck back in the building.

If you want to improve fast, take your car and drive your route after work and on the weekends. The more reps the faster you improve before you hop back in those trucks.
Hopefully you mean your first day on the route without the supervisor. Did you use your own advice and drive the route on the weekends and after work?, before you went on the route?