what to expect on my first day at ups?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by bluemoon, Jul 1, 2010.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon New Member

ok, so i finally got hired yesterday after waiting a couple of months. i had my orientation today, but my first day is actually tomorrow. i will be working the afternoon shift (5-9), and i was just wondering what i should expect. will i be unloading the trucks or loading the trailers? i just want to prepare and brace myself mentally. so in your experiences, what were your first days like?

2. fxdwg

fxdwg Member

They were great as any new job.

Do you live in Memphis?

How did you become aware of this site? Agt the Interview?

3. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

Bring a gallon of water and a sense of humor. If you can hack it as a part-timer and eventually get promoted a full-timer, you're officially a lifer. May the force be with you.

4. UPSF Peeon

UPSF Peeon New Member

in 1989 overnite transportation started dockworkers out at $8.10 an hour

in 2010 ups starts inside employees at $8.50 an hour to do much harder work then an LTL dock job

good thing the union got you that big time salary

Lasted edited by : Jul 3, 2010
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Go there with an open mind, a gallon of water, ready to work.

6. Big Babooba

Big Babooba Well-Known Member

Expect to see boxes, lots of boxes.

7. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Expect to come in here and post up the BS you see gong around you everyday.

8. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I would wear work gloves and comfortable boots and drink lots of water.

9. labels_up

labels_up Box slinger

I started out as a sorter, but I'm imagining starting as a loader/unloader isn't a lot different. You WILL be sore as hell for awhile until your body gets used to it, but if you keep at it, you will adjust. Gloves will feel very hot on your hands but when dealing with splinters/sharp edges on irregs they are worth it. You don't have to wear steel toes but it's not a bad idea. Bring plenty of water, as stated, just don't drink too much at once or else you'll get stomach cramps and that sucks. And as someone else says a sense of humor is essential. It'll be hard at first but if you stick it out you'll be fine.

10. Bville

Bville New Member

In short....

Hell.

11. dillweed

dillweed Well-Known Member

You'll be fine. Good advice you've been given. Accept the fact that it's an insane place to work. Do the best you can but take care of your body. It's easy to get caught up in the frenzied pace and injure yourself. Also, on the water - a gallon milk jug is great, especially if you fill it half full and stick it in the freezer the night before. Fill it the rest of the way with water before going in and you'll have refreshing cool water during your shift. Best of luck and let us know how you're doing.

12. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

expect to get hot , dirty and sore.

13. Ms Spoken

Ms Spoken New Member

run while you can you will thank me later

14. evilleace

evilleace Member

the unexpected

15. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Active Member

Expect pain. You're starting a new workout program.

16. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Expect to dramatically increase intake of Blue Moon over the next few weeks until you'd rather be unemployed and drunk.

17. FracusBrown

FracusBrown Ponies and Planes

I'd rather be unemployed and drunk. I've tried increasing my intake, but I keep waking up un-drunk and still having to go to work. Am I doing something wrong?