what to expect on my first day at ups?

bluemoon

ok, so i finally got hired yesterday after waiting a couple of months. i had my orientation today, but my first day is actually tomorrow. i will be working the afternoon shift (5-9), and i was just wondering what i should expect. will i be unloading the trucks or loading the trailers? i just want to prepare and brace myself mentally. so in your experiences, what were your first days like?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
ok, so i finally got hired yesterday after waiting a couple of months. i had my orientation today, but my first day is actually tomorrow. i will be working the afternoon shift (5-9), and i was just wondering what i should expect. will i be unloading the trucks or loading the trailers? i just want to prepare and brace myself mentally. so in your experiences, what were your first days like?

They were great as any new job.

Do you live in Memphis?

How did you become aware of this site? Agt the Interview?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Bring a gallon of water and a sense of humor. If you can hack it as a part-timer and eventually get promoted a full-timer, you're officially a lifer. May the force be with you.

UPSF Peeon

in 1989 overnite transportation started dockworkers out at $8.10 an hour

in 2010 ups starts inside employees at $8.50 an hour to do much harder work then an LTL dock job

good thing the union got you that big time salary

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go there with an open mind, a gallon of water, ready to work.

labels_up

Box slinger
I started out as a sorter, but I'm imagining starting as a loader/unloader isn't a lot different. You WILL be sore as hell for awhile until your body gets used to it, but if you keep at it, you will adjust. Gloves will feel very hot on your hands but when dealing with splinters/sharp edges on irregs they are worth it. You don't have to wear steel toes but it's not a bad idea. Bring plenty of water, as stated, just don't drink too much at once or else you'll get stomach cramps and that sucks. And as someone else says a sense of humor is essential. It'll be hard at first but if you stick it out you'll be fine.

dillweed

You'll be fine. Good advice you've been given. Accept the fact that it's an insane place to work. Do the best you can but take care of your body. It's easy to get caught up in the frenzied pace and injure yourself. Also, on the water - a gallon milk jug is great, especially if you fill it half full and stick it in the freezer the night before. Fill it the rest of the way with water before going in and you'll have refreshing cool water during your shift. Best of luck and let us know how you're doing.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Expect to dramatically increase intake of Blue Moon over the next few weeks until you'd rather be unemployed and drunk.