what transportation u take to work?

browniehound

I think this is an excellent subject given the climate of today's energy situation. I drive about 34-39 miles round trip depending which route I take. I have to fill my tank about every 1.5 weeks at around 42 bucks a pop.

I am seriously considering moving within walking distance to the center, or at least a bike ride's distance. I say this because the price of oil is only going to go up. I was watching a show on discovery yesterday in which they considered a scenario in 2016 where oil was at $160 per barrel. It was a very disturbing program. Back in '02 oil was around $35-$40 a barrel and its around $100 now. At $160 its going to seriously affect our economy and more importantly our way of life!

2016 is coming on fast. Without getting into details, just think of all of our 400,000 jobs at UPS! Its going to cost a lot of money to transport goods in 2016, at least 5 times as much as in '02. Businesses will be more likely to move thier local goods through their own drivers and people ordering like crazy now on QVC and the internet will be more likely to say no to the impulse buy because its going to cost them $35 in shipping costs for a 10lb package. Air and International volume will suffer due to the even higher cost of jet fuel.

I used to think the competition was the greatest threat to our jobs, now I KNOW its soaring energy costs!

My opinion is we should all move closer to our jobs, family, grocery stores, etc. We also need to find alterative(renewable) energy sources. We can do it, but a sense of urgency needs to be created for this to happen. I'm afraid we won't wake up until we are paying $7 a gallon at the gas station. This I could handle because I would drive a lot less, but heating our homes is going to kill us at $7 a gallon.

Something is going to happen. Either we quit cold turkey on oil when we have no alternative, or we ween ourselves off of it in a transition to something else. My guess is the cold turkey route is going to be ugly! And its only a matter of time before oil is gone. You were thinking not in your lifetime? Think again! Besides, think of our grandchildren!

I can continue here, but I'll leave it at this and see if anyone agrees with me.

:peaceful:
Brownie

browniehound

green-machine-2006-small-750306.jpg

16.1 miles only on sunny days!!:wink2:

2001 Dodge Ram

Do they still make these things? My parents never got me one, but this was the most sought after big-wheel during the early 1980's. Wow, man, you just brought back some serious memories! Thanks!

Brownie:peaceful:

upsdude

Oh, I drive an old beat up import roughly 7 miles round trip. We have 5 cars that are road worthy and I have a couple that are in pieces here and there.

cino321

and the internet will be more likely to say no to the impulse buy because its going to cost them $35 in shipping costs for a 10lb package.

Yeah but that 10 lb package will also cost them twice as much if not more than what they paid for it now, so I'm sure the proportions will even out. Money will be worth less and less, might as well start wall papering our homes with it like they did during the depression, lol.

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
30 miles in a 2000 Ford Ranger. It can make the Kessel Run in less then 12 parsecs.

Nice! A Han Solo Quote...LOL. I drive 1/4 mile roundtrip in a 2007 VW Passat V6. Before anyone says anything after doing 160+ stops each day I have trouble making it to the parking lot.:knockedout:

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat

Do they still make these things? My parents never got me one, but this was the most sought after big-wheel during the early 1980's. Wow, man, you just brought back some serious memories! Thanks!

Brownie:peaceful:

Yea, they still make 'em. I bought one for my son about a year ago. Yea, I had one when I was a kind..."MAN hat fun it was to be a kid!" Kinda pricey tho! LOL Huffy Green Machine 2: Sports & Outdoors

I'm glad I could bring back memories for you. If I could fit on one nowadays I would be riding it around the block with my 7 yr old son!:happy-very:

MrUPSguY

Red Headed Step Child
My mom and dad own a '05 Volkswagon Beetle and still drop me off to work just like in school. But when they can't make it, I drive a 1996 jeep grand Cherokee 5 miles one way.

FAVREFAN

I think this is an excellent subject given the climate of today's energy situation. I drive about 34-39 miles round trip depending which route I take. I have to fill my tank about every 1.5 weeks at around 42 bucks a pop.

I am seriously considering moving within walking distance to the center, or at least a bike ride's distance. I say this because the price of oil is only going to go up. I was watching a show on discovery yesterday in which they considered a scenario in 2016 where oil was at $160 per barrel. It was a very disturbing program. Back in '02 oil was around $35-$40 a barrel and its around $100 now. At $160 its going to seriously affect our economy and more importantly our way of life!

2016 is coming on fast. Without getting into details, just think of all of our 400,000 jobs at UPS! Its going to cost a lot of money to transport goods in 2016, at least 5 times as much as in '02. Businesses will be more likely to move thier local goods through their own drivers and people ordering like crazy now on QVC and the internet will be more likely to say no to the impulse buy because its going to cost them $35 in shipping costs for a 10lb package. Air and International volume will suffer due to the even higher cost of jet fuel.

I used to think the competition was the greatest threat to our jobs, now I KNOW its soaring energy costs!

My opinion is we should all move closer to our jobs, family, grocery stores, etc. We also need to find alterative(renewable) energy sources. We can do it, but a sense of urgency needs to be created for this to happen. I'm afraid we won't wake up until we are paying $7 a gallon at the gas station. This I could handle because I would drive a lot less, but heating our homes is going to kill us at $7 a gallon.

Something is going to happen. Either we quit cold turkey on oil when we have no alternative, or we ween ourselves off of it in a transition to something else. My guess is the cold turkey route is going to be ugly! And its only a matter of time before oil is gone. You were thinking not in your lifetime? Think again! Besides, think of our grandchildren!

I can continue here, but I'll leave it at this and see if anyone agrees with me.

Brownie
Let me be the first to say great post my friend. You are open minded and very informed. It took alot of b_lls to post something like that here on a site where many of the drivers have pickups or suvs that drink gas like it is free. Yes, we are in trouble, but there are many solutions as you well know. Wind, Solar, Hydrogen and yes even some Nuclear solutions will help. Check out hydrogen fuel cell's for automotive use. Honda and BMW have allready mastered the technology. They need high production numbers to bring the astronomical price tags down but it is coming. For anyone who wants a glimpse of the future, check out the Honda FCX Clarity. The future is now, push for it, support it and those in government/politics that embrace the need for global environmental responsibility. We have a small window to work with, but we have to move more quickly to change. Peace out.