What trumps? Seniority or bid routes.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I think that is wrong I've been at ups since 1985 I did my swing time I bid a route it should be in every day ... if it has to be built up to plan it should take stops from lower seniority driver routes not the split car that goes all over town and does'nt make any rat poop sense
Stump! You've been here since '85 and you bid a route that goes out or gets torn apart during off peak months? Has this route always been one that gets cut, or are they messing with you? PS.....nothing trumps seniority.

JustTired

free at last.......
We used to have a mid to low seniority driver whos bid route was cut every Monday. He was given the option of bumping a swing driver or going home. He always chose to stay home. How great was that? 3 day weekend and 4 day workweek. The OT on the four days gave him enough time for his 40 plus. I was jealous.

The big problem was that higher seniority drivers couldn't get those Mondays off.

Then we got PAS/EDD and they cut his route entirely. He was forced to bump to a route with a lower seniority driver than him. He's back to working 5 days a week. Boy, does that have to suck after a couple of years of 3 day weekends!!!

ol'browneye

Here's the story: Last year routes were up for bidding at our center. Three drivers senior to me chose not bid on an assigned route. They chose to bid unassigned. I made a bid for a route. Since January I've been bumped off my route so the senior unassigned drivers could work and run my route. This has forced me to work a four hour max reload shift. I haven't been able to get an eight hour day due to the fact our center dosen't have a preload. I've discussed this with my union steward but haven't made a complaint or filed a grievance. My steward has said that if bid routes are cut then senior drivers have the option to take my route. If all routes are in for that day I can't be bumped.

I've been recently informed by a former union steward from another center that I should file a grievence over this issue. He says that seniority doesn't matter. If I bid on a route; thats my route and I can't be bumped. He says that since these drivers chose not to bid on an assigned route prior to me bidding then thats thier option. If I have a bid route, I cannot be bumped regardless of seniority.

I am questioning whether or not this is worth a grievance. I've heard two stories as well as looked over the contract pretty good. I want to make damn sure I know what I'm talking about before I start the paperwork. All I want is at least an 8 hour day and to run my route without being screwed with.(only in a perfect world). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Also FYI: Our center nomally runs 16 routes; I'm 18 in seniority, but have a route. Basically I work only if 2 drivers are out.

Wether you have a route or not, it looks like you are near the bottom of the seniority list. If there are no other routes available, and the 2 guys below you are sent home, it looks like you are next on the list! The unassigned drivers still have the right to bump the least seniority drivers if that is the only work available. As long as no other driver is working that has less seniority than you, I don't think it is something you can grieve. They actually are following the contract. That is how I see it with the information you have given.
p.s. No I'm not a steward, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Leftinbuilding

Wether you have a route or not, it looks like you are near the bottom of the seniority list. If there are no other routes available, and the 2 guys below you are sent home, it looks like you are next on the list! The unassigned drivers still have the right to bump the least seniority drivers if that is the only work available. As long as no other driver is working that has less seniority than you, I don't think it is something you can grieve. They actually are following the contract. That is how I see it with the information you have given.
p.s. No I'm not a steward, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Agreed. Even tho you have a "bid" route, higher seniority works before you do. And they can pretty much chop up a route any way they deem necessary,( on a day by day basis) especially with the volume down. Up to, and including, eliminating the route.

J

jeblatz

Here is an extreme example for you to think about. Should a 27 year unassigned driver be forced to work out of classification or take a lay off before you? It is a right to work issue, not a bid issue. This actually happens all the time in feeder. The lowest seniority people will always be displaced first. Some day you will be thankful for this.

govols019

You smell that?
A driver who has his bid route cut cannot bump another bid driver off his route regardless of seniority. The affected bid driver can only bump unassigned drivers.

The only time seniority would come into play is if there were no unassigned drivers or routes.