What TSG is

Deeohem

Over on another thread there was a description of what TSG is. It was accurate in general, but it missed some elements of the job and I think needs expansion.

First, in case there's any doubt, TSG <> I.S. Broadly. When you think about what a Computer Science, Info Systems degree would train you for, you are thinking IS.

Also, TSG is probably not the Help Desk. I say probably, because it could turn out that the staff at Las Vegas and Santa Maria fall under the TSG umbrella. However, I'd argue that the tasks performed and means of measuring performance are different enough to say that they aren't the same.

TSG is the face of computing and technology within UPS. IS is located in 4 major locations (ISNJ, ISMD, Louisville, and Georgia) while the Help Desks are locations unto themselves. Due to the job, TSG are everywhere. The operations don't see all the developers who make DCS and ODS, but they see the TSG guy who installed DIAD IV.

TSG have a number of roles. First, when something breaks at the local level, we fix it. We don't get the call, that's the Help Desk, but if they can't fix remotely, they dispatch us. This doesn't mean that we don't fix remotely, we DO. This part of our job is slimming down simply because UPS is working hard to distill tech knowledge into documented solutions that the Help Desks can use and save the time and cost of TSG dispatch.

We are the project deployers. when DIAD IV rolled out, TSG installed the new racks and got the DIADs ready for the centers. When Telematics rolls out, TSG installs the antennas in and around the buildings. TSG is responsible for upgrading/replacing all Windows 2000 workstations. This portion of our job is scaling back as deployments update and as we make it easier for the operation to do their own upgrade. Windows 2000 SP2 deployment meant TSG touched every computer. The last Windows XP service pack deployment was controlled in NJ and almost no TSG involvement. PFT upgrades have been done by centers for years now. But there's still need for TSG. new systems, new hardware, major upgrades need dedicated physical presence. TSG is still the department for that. Yes, a lot of what we do on these deployments is heavily scripted. It has to be. It makes support MUCH easier if everything is setup the same.
Also, detailed instructions are the way for enable new and/or specialized knowledge is used with little training.

TSG supports the infrastructure. If a drive on a server goes out, TSG get's the call. Even if we are lucky and ship a replacment and talk the local OMS through what to do, We are responsible for making sure the i is dotted and the t is crossed. If a building loses power, TSG gets many logs for it and is asked operational impact. TSG coordinates network cabling within a building, making sure that there are enough drops where they are needed. if network equipment fails, TSG is responsible for installing the spare.

TSG provides troubleshooting and integration support for UPS software used by our external customers. We install and support UPS-owned WorldShip systems at our major customers. We can and do provide Field Support for WorldShip on customer owned computers. TSG helps migrate data from DHL/FDX systems to UPS. We help our shippers integrate WorldShip with their own systems.

TSG is changing. If it can be done remotely or automated, it IS being done remotely or automated. UPS is working hard to distill our experience into Common Solutions. Hardware is becoming more reliable and our operations are more adept at swapping it themselves/for us. On the External side, we don't as much hardware anymore so we aren't running around as much for hardware support or upgrading WorldShip. our integrations have moved from working with csv files transferred via floppy disk to live integration with 3rd party commercial applications or in house databases.

Enough

Deeohem,
Dont forget to add all the other non pc hardware we support. PCs are the least of my problems. We have a major TSG Supported EDS (Enhanced Dimensional Weighing Systems) presence in our building, Tech-10s, FDTs, imagers, digital phone system, wireless ethernet, hundreds of thermal printers, laser printers, etc. We do much more than just pcs.

IS_Guy

Good post.

I spent several years in TSG before finding a job in IS. Before that, I was in operations for several years. I found my experience in TSG extremely valuable. At times, the work seemed brainless (here is your hardware, here is your software, now go follow these instructions and do not deviate), it did give me time to learn the various UPS systems and how they interact.

IS_Guy

Also... I gotta give the company credit for hiring a guy out of operations with no experience. TSG allowed me to learn the systems while putting me through school.

iliatha

hey is that still the way TSG works ? Did something important change during the past years ?
i ll have an interview in a few days. Trying to get a better view on tsg. Trying to find out what does really matter for them ;)
would be nice if someone could give some hints, thx!

Bamboozled

Iliatha,

In our Region qualified Technicians are required to at least have a Comptia A+ Certification. They would also prefer a Comptia Network+ Certification. College degrees and other schools add to your credibility but they require the A+ Certification.

matto

Hello everyone. I am finding job postings by recruiters for TSG technician contractor position in my area however all attempts to obtain further information from UPS has been unsuccessful. Can anyone point me in the direction of anyone within UPS that has knowledge of these contractor positions should they exist. To me it seems like recruiting firms looking to expand their resume database and not an actual opportunity.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello everyone. I am finding job postings by recruiters for TSG technician contractor position in my area however all attempts to obtain further information from UPS has been unsuccessful. Can anyone point me in the direction of anyone within UPS that has knowledge of these contractor positions should they exist. To me it seems like recruiting firms looking to expand their resume database and not an actual opportunity.

Not sure what aTSG is but ups always needs box throwers and shufflers

upschuck

Technical Support Group. Ups version of IT.

Commercial Inside Release

I think they are phoney job listings. The job listings nationwide have become an economic talking point that both parties intend to play ball with. And, job listings can be made up out of the blue, with no intention of hiring anyone... The perfect crime, when it comes to BSing the public.

Businesses file quarterly taxes & reports, that include payroll data. So, they can tell how many have actually been hired, but that would be too factual to suit their rhetoric.

In my area, I would be surprised if 60% of the jobs listed are really sincere or even legit.

anonymous23456

Gone are the days where you can walk into any business and say I'm looking for a job and may I talk to the manager. Now you have to wade through bs, phantom job advertisements. What did America become? We let Wall Street decides our economic well-being. I am not saying America is innocent. Waves of new immigrants doing the crappy jobs to pay their due so that their children and grandchildren can be "100% American" has been the modus operandi of this country. However, this new way of hiring is very robotic and impersonal.

Well, I just complain the wind...

How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, and how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind
Yes, and how many years must a mountain exist
Before it is washed to the sea?
And how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, and how many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
Yes, and how many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
And how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?

boggs128

Over on another thread there was a description of what TSG is. It was accurate in general, but it missed some elements of the job and I think needs expansion.

First, in case there's any doubt, TSG <> I.S. Broadly. When you think about what a Computer Science, Info Systems degree would train you for, you are thinking IS.

Also, TSG is probably not the Help Desk. I say probably, because it could turn out that the staff at Las Vegas and Santa Maria fall under the TSG umbrella. However, I'd argue that the tasks performed and means of measuring performance are different enough to say that they aren't the same.

TSG is the face of computing and technology within UPS. IS is located in 4 major locations (ISNJ, ISMD, Louisville, and Georgia) while the Help Desks are locations unto themselves. Due to the job, TSG are everywhere. The operations don't see all the developers who make DCS and ODS, but they see the TSG guy who installed DIAD IV.

TSG have a number of roles. First, when something breaks at the local level, we fix it. We don't get the call, that's the Help Desk, but if they can't fix remotely, they dispatch us. This doesn't mean that we don't fix remotely, we DO. This part of our job is slimming down simply because UPS is working hard to distill tech knowledge into documented solutions that the Help Desks can use and save the time and cost of TSG dispatch.

We are the project deployers. when DIAD IV rolled out, TSG installed the new racks and got the DIADs ready for the centers. When Telematics rolls out, TSG installs the antennas in and around the buildings. TSG is responsible for upgrading/replacing all Windows 2000 workstations. This portion of our job is scaling back as deployments update and as we make it easier for the operation to do their own upgrade. Windows 2000 SP2 deployment meant TSG touched every computer. The last Windows XP service pack deployment was controlled in NJ and almost no TSG involvement. PFT upgrades have been done by centers for years now. But there's still need for TSG. new systems, new hardware, major upgrades need dedicated physical presence. TSG is still the department for that. Yes, a lot of what we do on these deployments is heavily scripted. It has to be. It makes support MUCH easier if everything is setup the same.
Also, detailed instructions are the way for enable new and/or specialized knowledge is used with little training.

TSG supports the infrastructure. If a drive on a server goes out, TSG get's the call. Even if we are lucky and ship a replacment and talk the local OMS through what to do, We are responsible for making sure the i is dotted and the t is crossed. If a building loses power, TSG gets many logs for it and is asked operational impact. TSG coordinates network cabling within a building, making sure that there are enough drops where they are needed. if network equipment fails, TSG is responsible for installing the spare.

TSG provides troubleshooting and integration support for UPS software used by our external customers. We install and support UPS-owned WorldShip systems at our major customers. We can and do provide Field Support for WorldShip on customer owned computers. TSG helps migrate data from DHL/FDX systems to UPS. We help our shippers integrate WorldShip with their own systems.

TSG is changing. If it can be done remotely or automated, it IS being done remotely or automated. UPS is working hard to distill our experience into Common Solutions. Hardware is becoming more reliable and our operations are more adept at swapping it themselves/for us. On the External side, we don't as much hardware anymore so we aren't running around as much for hardware support or upgrading WorldShip. our integrations have moved from working with csv files transferred via floppy disk to live integration with 3rd party commercial applications or in house databases.
TSG really does almost everything. You can really rely on the documentation very often bc a LOT of times there will be issues that come up ESPECIALLY when it's a new rollout of software and they tried to roll it out too fast and there's bugs left and right and that's when your IS skills come into play. Also, you've got the package car software that you use the laptop and plug into the diagnostics port in order to make vehicle changes which take a lot of time to build and a lot of times they don't have an extra to spare so that can be a critical issue especially if you're having licensing problems and having to get new licensing. You create USE CASES, Databases in MSAccess, Building and Network Diagrams in Vizio, Paint, or whatever software floats your boat, I forget what the software and package dimension machine was called bc I only had one issue with that during the 1 year I was contracted to work there (they got rid of all of their TSG and started hiring outside contractors for particular assignments at a facility that lasted a day or a week so didnt have to keep TSG on the clock all the time) but the software is complex and easy to make mistakes and any docs you had were FAR from perfect and you had to try and figure it out yourself and again thats what good IT Professionals are able to do bc the docs are usually outdated and wrong anyways we use our knowledge of information systems, our ingenuity, our experience, and our curiosity to solve complex problems and if we cannot after searching on Google, asking questions, and looking at documentation then we escalate it to someone who HOPEFULLY can and if you're like me you will get ALL the details so you know EXACTLY what the problem is and follow every troubleshooting step the upper level players do and learn everything you can in case the issue happens in the future and 90% of the time it'll help you solve other issues in the future. ALWAYS learn what you can and TSG is basically a HYBRID of everything you WILL be in the print server updating and installing printer drivers and software and you will be troubleshooting and backing up Servers and you will even be getting into some low level security tasks and scripting at times and some coding but usually just copying code to do installations etc. You will be mapping drives and transferring files remotely and I didn't use active directory at all I had a ZERO access to Active Directory and couldn't fully provision a new PC. Anyways it's a very good job I liked it a lot abd you will learn a lot bit remember, depending on where you're located or what's going on at the time you may have one of the top dogs of UPS asking you to hurry and do something or fix something and you don't really have a quick way to satisfy that end-user so you will have to try everything in your power before escalating. Make sure you know who everyone is you don't want the CEO coming in and saying "Hey, my display has all these lines going through the screen and I really need this thing fixed immediately!" and your response is like sir, I have a few laptops ahead of yours so I'll try to get your laptop fixed by Friday and it's only Tuesday and the CEO will have to leave by the end of the workday because believe me you WILL hear about it right then when he fires you or your boss is going to send a very kindly worded email to you about how stupid you are either way, if you're in a main facility make sure you get to know the head people in each department and others that come by every now and again.

Commercial Inside Release

That's just typical IT dept stuff... Coworkers unintentionally (on purpose) restricting access, spoiled end users that have unrealistic expectations and expect immediate results, and upper level bosses that constantly usurp your time and destroy the schedule.

And through it all, there is an undercurrent that you are somehow stupid, even though you run a whole network, and they can't even run their own smartphone.

It's the same everywhere. (Since the 90s.)