What UPS is doing to survive this bad economy

evilleace

We also are trying the voluntary days off for the drivers and a voluntary week off for pt employees. As far as saving money pushing pt insurance back to a year wait.

drewed

Shankman
Helen what you said hits a nerve with me, a good opportunity. Opportunity is opportunity no what how good it is, its better to be employed somewhere you hate temporarily then not be employed at all. In some cases a "bad" opportunity will open the door to a good one

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Helen what you said hits a nerve with me, a good opportunity. Opportunity is opportunity no what how good it is, its better to be employed somewhere you hate temporarily then not be employed at all. In some cases a "bad" opportunity will open the door to a good one

Working at McDonald's rarely opens anything but the exit door.

sano

Working at McDonald's rarely opens anything but the exit door.
I have a friend that is a manager at a McDonald's. He is making 60k a year + benefits.
I still wouldn't want the job for the same reason I said no to being part time sup at UPS. Who wants to supervise people that just don't care about their job?

Its not UPS, but it is a honest job.

Not speaking specifically of Helen's daughters, but, for many working mothers that are getting laid off a "good opportunity" might be one that pays enough to cover daycare +. If she can only make enough to cover daycare and then some, there is no reason to work. So "any job" isn't opportunity.

tunemixer

I have a friend that is a manager at a McDonald's. He is making 60k a year + benefits.
I still wouldn't want the job for the same reason I said no to being part time sup at UPS. Who wants to supervise people that just don't care about their job?

Its not UPS, but it is a honest job.

And your friend is probably work 60 hrs a week or more to get that 60 K
Our center is also asking people to take time off without pay. Mostly senior drivers to keep the others working.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Supes are sitting in their cars watching drivers and standing over the small sort with a stop watch while we have to find time to drum up business.

drewed

Shankman
Trplnkl, the point Im trying to make is even the McDs worker is still contributing to society AND sometimes that McDs job opens other doors, how you do anything is how you do everything

Trplnkl, the point Im trying to make is even the McDs worker is still contributing to society AND sometimes that McDs job opens other doors, how you do anything is how you do everything

I don't disagree with that, but it is economical suicide to take a job that pays less than you have to pay out for day care. Sometimes it's better to concentrate on number one than to worry about contributing to society.

City Driver

Volume loss I understand .For 13 years I've worked 6:am to 3:pm Tue-Fri, Sat 7:am to 4:pm . The shift I work is Eam and day Hub . Eam I finish about 10:am sometimes 11:am, Tue-Fri. I finish my day in the Hub. Sat 7:am to 1:pm Eam, 2:pm to 4:pm Day hub. My Eam job is not being changed. But the day Hub is not working Fri anymore and will work Sun 9:pm to 1:am . This makes half a day on Sun Day hub and half a day Fri Eam. Because of this Hub move they say I can no longer work this shift cause of 6 report. My new shift will be 3:am to 7:am and 5:pm to 9:pm Tue-Sat.What a life changer! After all these years! Each day back to work every 6 or 10 hours.

something went terribly wrong with this post

A

anonymous6

Unemployment rate in California hit 9.8%. That's almost one in ten working Californians. My daughter is one of those vast unemployed with few good job opportunities available. It's getting bad.

I'm in CA too. son and son in law layed off. they are talking cutting 17 runs minimum in FEB ( 0ut of about 100 )

I don't need grown children moving back home with me.

Drinking a big bottle of Sangria right now and trying to mellow out.