What was driving like back when...

UT Vols

management couldn't track you by GPS, see how many stops you've done or have left and send you messages to do this or that?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
management couldn't track you by GPS, see how many stops you've done or have left and send you messages to do this or that?
They still left you messages to call in at your pickup stops.
Other than that, once you left the building until you got back, it was you and your customers.
Meet you on area for a couple of hours for Safety ride once or twice a year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Driving before all of this technology BS had both its pros and cons, much like today. The pros were pretty much what Photog said----once you left the building you were pretty much on your own. The cons were their inability to get in touch with you in the event of an emergency. My son fell and broke his wrist while playing on the monkey bars----my ex was working on the other side of the lake so her father had to take our son to the ER. I didn't find out about it until I was off road.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yet somehow we managed to service customers and still had a reputation of "speed and service". All these new reports do is prove what we were already doing and try to push you beyond reasonable expectations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yet somehow we managed to service customers and still had a reputation of "speed and service". All these new reports do is prove what we were already doing and try to push you beyond reasonable expectations.

These reports also serve to weed out those who are unable to meet those expectations, whether reasonable or otherwise.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Other than that, once you left the building until you got back, it was you and your customers.
Meet you on area for a couple of hours for Safety ride once or twice a year.
Standard reply was
What message don't know anything about it

rod

Retired 22 years
The hourly employees back then all stuck together and did things as a group both on and off the clock. You could always find someone to take a few stops off you if you really needed to get off early. From what I see now its every man for themselves.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Wow.

Talk about the "wayback" machine. :biggrin:

15ee7k.jpg

I heard they provided drivers with beepers
Only a few drivers got the beepers.

And, they were for the "new" on-call air pickups. (right ?)

The cons were their inability to get in touch with you in the event of an emergency.

Yep.

Had a similar situation, while running a country route.

The hourly employees back then all stuck together and did things as a group both on and off the clock.

Those were good times.

And, do I have some stories.... ;)

-Bug-