What was driving like back when...

clarnzz

I remember being thrilled if there was a cup holder in my truck. Automatics and key fabs feels like big pimpin.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember being thrilled if there was a cup holder in my truck. Automatics and key fabs feels like big pimpin.

The day I got a brand new P700 International (with cup holder, power brakes and power steering) I thought I had died and went to heaven. After driving old Econolines, P-400's, and a P-600 the first years I worked and then a P-800 with a stiff clutch for 10 years or so it was "almost" enjoyable going to work for a change. They told me I could have it as long as I could get a P-800 load into a P-700. I made it work.

The Milkman

[

That's me Pimpin (In Front) in the early 80's meeting for our coffee break in the am. Well before 10:30 commit times..Anyone remember The P-300? We only had one.That was before the econoline vans appeared. The 3 cube route was about maybe 160 miles or so and I can't remember the stops, but not too many. Any bulk was a bear to deal with. Was a split driver back then. Hope I uploaded the picture ok

Attachments

• UPS.JPG
    UPS.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 220
  • UPS.JPG
    UPS.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 191

The Milkman

[

That's me Pimpin (In Front) in the early 80's meeting for our coffee break in the am. Well before 10:30 commit times..Anyone remember The P-300? We only had one.That was before the econoline vans appeared. The 3 cube route was about maybe 160 miles or so and I can't remember the stops, but not too many. Any bulk was a bear to deal with. Was a split driver back then. Hope I uploaded the picture ok

Click on UPS.JPG to open

[

You look like a ghost.

Overpaid Union Thug

[

I like seeing these old school pictures.

oldupsman

Holy crap.

I've been around since the mid 70's.... and have never seen one of those. :biggrin:

1q3k07.jpg

This is a little easier....

-Bug-

I started in 75 Bug and we had 2 p-300's in our center. I drove one for awhile when covering for one of the old
guys on vacation. They were fun to drive. If I remember correctly I think they were Internationals.

oldupsman

I called it "Taking the scenic route back in". Running up miles was a good way to makeup the magical "Planned Day" numbers. Opposite of the present day.

Boy, I had those mileage numbers down to a science. Alot of slow summer days and I would end up with a 8.03 dispatch.
The center manager's loved me.

oldngray

nowhere special
Been awhile but I think we did have both 300 and 400 Internationals. They were box shaped. But
we also had 400's that were bullet shaped. I think they were Chevys.

I think some of our 400's were Fords but I don't remember any Chevys. They all looked like little square turds.

The Milkman

I'm the 1st one, 2nd guy is still plodding along, 3rd woman married another driver who became a Business agent, divorced some time later,4th woman married and moved away, 5th (blond) sadly killed on her way home from work one night, She was rushing home around Christmastime, and they believe she was low on gas and ran out thus losing p/s and p/b..head on....Had like 5 brothers she was only girl...Her headstone has a pkg car on it...5th guy finally hung it up last year...Old 600's and 8's from what I see, we were lucky to have time for a coffee break. We were about 20 minutes from the hub and some of our other routes were about 45 miles from the hub.. Eventually the NDA commit times doomed the coffee breaks

S

selfcancelsignal

and who can forget Mr. Longhair

I did, until I saw this. I recall loathing these commercials, & they were out long before I started w/ UPS in fall of '12. What a dbag! Why would brown have someone who doesn't meet the appearance standards do ads for them?