What was driving like back when...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm the 1st one, 2nd guy is still plodding along, 3rd woman married another driver who became a Business agent, divorced some time later,4th woman married and moved away, 5th (blond) sadly killed on her way home from work one night, She was rushing home around Christmastime, and they believe she was low on gas and ran out thus losing p/s and p/b..head on....Had like 5 brothers she was only girl...Her headstone has a pkg car on it...5th guy finally hung it up last year...Old 600's and 8's from what I see, we were lucky to have time for a coffee break. We were about 20 minutes from the hub and some of our other routes were about 45 miles from the hub.. Eventually the NDA commit times doomed the coffee breaks
For a group that all had balls like watermelons there seems to be a lot of girls.

The Milkman

For a group that all had balls like watermelons there seems to be a lot of girls.

I think our center had the most women back then...Both in the picture had more time than me, There were also a few more in the ctr that had a yr or so more time than me, the who was killed started a few years after me. I think at that time we had maybe 7 or 8 women. back then before the 70 lb weight limit things were at times not so bad with bulk and weighty pkgs.. And I can say honestly they held their own fairly well. But over the years I believe UPS redesigned the trucks with women in mind.. Power steering was the biggest thing to help women, Lower step height also helped and now automatics make driving for everyone a possibility. Back before I started I don't think many women could of drove the tanks UPS had the men drive. Old Steel nose cars I heard were the worst. UPS always in my opinion wanted to look like an equal opportunity employer instead of being forced to hire minorities.

Anyone remember the Ford P-500s? The front end sat lower than the rear and it had a really soft suspension. We called them "Low-Riders". We only had 2 or 3 in our building. I loved driving them 'cause the ride was so smooth.

Rainman

Its all good.
Anyone remember the Ford P-500s? The front end sat lower than the rear and it had a really soft suspension. We called them "Low-Riders". We only had 2 or 3 in our building. I loved driving them 'cause the ride was so smooth.
They rode like a Cadillac. Too bad they didn't have power steering. I used to cover a country route with one of those. I always enjoyed the ride, just a little bounce to the suspension when you hit a bump, but no sway.

They rode like a Cadillac. Too bad they didn't have power steering. I used to cover a country route with one of those. I always enjoyed the ride, just a little bounce to the suspension when you hit a bump, but no sway.
Beats the hell out of the Workhorse p-700 I now drive. It rides like a covered wagon. I feel every damn bump and pothole!

The Milkman

Had a 500 for many years on an RD route..The Ford was a lot better than the GMC's..The GMC had no power but a better turning radius...Hated when my Ford was in the shop

oldngray

nowhere special
The first 500's were crap with lousy suspensions. They just weren't made for the daily wear and tear at UPS. The ones a couple of years later when they fixed the bugs were some of the best package cars UPS ever had.

Overpaid Union Thug

The first 500's were crap with lousy suspensions. They just weren't made for the daily wear and tear at UPS. The ones a couple of years later when they fixed the bugs were some of the best package cars UPS ever had.
I liked the 500s that were recently phased out. We held on to a couple of ours as long as possible but they were eventually taken to be crushed. When I was a TCD and didn't have a route I'd come in and choose one of those and run NDAs. Sometimes I'd go out as an air driver but would end up helping other drivers with ground. Bouncing around town in a 500 and grabbing 20-50 stops from other drivers was cake. They were usually 4 speeds I think.

I liked the 500s that were recently phased out. We held on to a couple of ours as long as possible but they were eventually taken to be crushed. When I was a TCD and didn't have a route I'd come in and choose one of those and run NDAs. Sometimes I'd go out as an air driver but would end up helping other drivers with ground. Bouncing around town in a 500 and grabbing 20-50 stops from other drivers was cake. They were usually 4 speeds I think.
They were fast little suckers.