What was the oldest UPS vehicle you have ever driven?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A Grumman P-350 in 1978. Last time I saw it, it was painted yellow and was being used to haul irregs around the Atlanta hub.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A Grumman P-350 in 1978. Last time I saw it, it was painted yellow and was being used to haul irregs around the Atlanta hub.

I drove this same one hauling Irregulars around the Atlanta Hub on the Midnight sort. It was great, winter time with no windshield in it. It had the loosest shifter in it I have ever seen. You could drive around and have a smoke, this was before the electric Irregular Trains came along. We also used to push Irregs around the building in carts, those mack truck leaf springs and bumpers from automotive were hell.

thom1842

I drove a P-50 from 1967 (could've been 68) as a crew van on the Air Ramp before I started as a driver, it had over 800,000 miles on it and I suspected the odometer might have flipped once :wink2:. It was painted bright white with the brandmark on the side.

All my sup asked was, "Can you drive a stick?" I said yes. I felt bad for the poor crew that rode with me to their plane, the P-50s don't shift like a 2000 Plymouth Neon!

25yrvet

Truck # 14301, I believe it was an early 60's model. As stated above, the wooden bulkhead door and shelves were hell with splinters--not many mechanics have sanders in their toolboxes. The side doors were hard to open, hard to turn, shift, ETC. I had the key medalion up until a couple years ago. They crushed it in the early 90's--when the military needed heavy metal for the Abrahms tank:wink2:

The truck I drove this past week was a 1986 GMC P500, 22 years old with 961000+ miles showing and I am pretty certain the odometer has been changed more than once. With the adapted V6 fuel injected engine it runs pretty good, hard to shift, has power steering :dead:(takes all the power in your upper body to steer it) and has no turning radius. The shocks have been shot to hell since 1988, run over a pebble in the road and you can feel it. Of the 350 mile daily average for the week 100-150 on unimproved roads. The decibel level is so high that it is deafening , literally. The real joy is making it to Friday night.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
My oldest was a 69 Ford P400 I think.It had a 302 and a 4 speed.It was basically a mustang disguised as a pkg car.It ran like a scalded dog. That was way back when GPS meant "great planning supervisor".I guess those are extinct,too.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Anyone remember driving a Diamond T tractor from the 60's. Talk about the pride of the fleet. If you weren't a favorite or always on the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: list you had to take on of those!

Big Babooba

Anyone remember driving a Diamond T tractor from the 60's. Talk about the pride of the fleet. If you weren't a favorite or always on the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: list you had to take on of those!
We had both a Diamond T & a Diamond Reo. Most of our drivers preferred them over the friend model Macks.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We called it the "triple deuce" or the "Chinese armored personell carrier"...it was a late 50's era P-800, #14222. Wooden door, wooden shelves, doghouse engine cover in the cab. The key was on the left side, so whoever got stuck in it had to spend half a day retraining themselves to hold the keys in their left hand instead of the right. It was truly an awful truck, and it just wouldnt die. The engine would throw a rod or blow a head gasket, but the mechanics would just swap another one in that night and the next morning it would be back again. It was truly the Freddy Kruger of package cars, no matter what you did to it it refused to die.

kenco80233

This does bring back memories.When I started in feeders,we had some old gas tracters that ups aquired from the company that they bought to get access to Colo.There were some old KB Internationals that had a metal flag that would swing down in front of you from the visor,when your air pressure dropped.Also remember the Diamonds,they were like setting in a huge garbage can.They had them at most of the extended centers in western Kansas.

25yrvet

We called it the "triple deuce" or the "Chinese armored personell carrier"...it was a late 50's era P-800, #14222. Wooden door, wooden shelves, doghouse engine cover in the cab. The key was on the left side, so whoever got stuck in it had to spend half a day retraining themselves to hold the keys in their left hand instead of the right. It was truly an awful truck, and it just wouldnt die. The engine would throw a rod or blow a head gasket, but the mechanics would just swap another one in that night and the next morning it would be back again. It was truly the Freddy Kruger of package cars, no matter what you did to it it refused to die.

cino321

There are a few p1000's in my building with five digits, and they are possibly the worst cars I've ever driven.

filthpig

I had one with wooden shelves once. Real old. Every time I hit the brake it would veer to the right. I wrote it up and told my center manager about it. He drove it and it got crushed about 1 week later.