What was your experience the first day you went out with a manual?

UT Vols

I had a stick shift Honda Civic for 8 years and it literally meant nothing when I drove one of those dinosaurs for the first time on route. It took me a day but I got the hang of it. Luckily I got it after a few days.

DriverMD

I had a stick shift Honda Civic for 8 years and it literally meant nothing when I drove one of those dinosaurs for the first time on route. It took me a day but I got the hang of it. Luckily I got it after a few days.
Yeah, I had no clue that it was suggested you start in second gear (at least the manuals in my building). Until I was told this when i was filling up the tank I had so much trouble getting going.

reginald95

I went out with a diesel with power steering so it went better than expected. The unleaded manuals are a nightmare if you have to navigate in tight spaces.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
In my building you have to drive a manual transmission just to pass the road test before they even let you take the 40 hr training course. So by the time you start your first day as a driver it's nothing. I've never heard of only being certified on automatic, that's crazy. Funny thing is nowadays most of the trucks are automatics anyway. I kinda miss those speedy P7s with the manual transmissions, I used to zip around all over the place in those things.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Why's that Kramer?

First of all, my user-name has nothing to do with Seinfeld.

Second, it's sad that your generation and following generations are losing simple skills like being able to shift gears yourself. What else do you let technology or others do for you?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
First of all, my user-name has nothing to do with Seinfeld.

Second, it's sad that your generation and following generations are losing simple skills like being able to shift gears yourself. What else do you let technology or others do for you?

That's the nature of the world. Technology improves and humans have less to do. Automatic transmissions had already taken over. It was just cheaper for UPS to keep using those manual transmissions. Look at all the stuff that has changed: There was no EDD back in the day. No auto bulkhead door unlock. Handwritten stops. Manual transmissions and no power steering. Trucks with narrow stepways with the stick shift in the way making it a lot harder to stack packages on the steps. I don't know about you but I'd rather have all the stuff that they implemented instead of that old stuff.

rod

Retired 22 years

I agree with every thing you say. I, on the other had, was amazed a hundred years ago when I got to drive my first automatic car. I remember stomping on air thinking I was going to push in on a clutch pedal.

oldngray

nowhere special
I agree with every thing you say. I, on the other had, was amazed a hundred years ago when I got to drive my first automatic car. I remember stomping on air thinking I was going to push in on a clutch pedal.

Still that is easier than going back to a manual after you get used to an automatic and forget to clutch.

rod

Retired 22 years
I very seldom used a clutch once I got moving. I found it easier to just let the gears sinc or in the worst case make some noise.

rod

Retired 22 years
Highway driving you can do that. Not in constant stop and go city traffic.

That's kind of what I meant--although every once in awhile I would get bored and see how long I could get way with it in town. Once when my clutch linkage was screwed up I drove my old 8 cube all afternoon without a clutch. If you started the truck in first gear you could get going without a clutch--although it damn near bucks you out of the seat until you get up a little speed.