What was your experience the first day you went out with a manual?

box_beeyotch

I taught myself how to drive stick with YouTube videos and a UPS truck in our parking lot before my road test. It was either learn somehow and do it or blow my chance at a stable career.

Mr.Golden

I had an idea on how to drive a stick. When i work on the night sort the PT sup allowed me use the PC to test it out. At first I use to "burn the clutch" so bad that u can smell it but after a while I'd gotten better. When it came to my road test man.....I had to drive a non power steering 1000. A PC that just been sitting in yard and don't get used til peak season......fortunately I passed using that piece of ish. I got it so good now that I can float through gears.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had an idea on how to drive a stick. When i work on the night sort the PT sup allowed me use the PC to test it out. At first I use to "burn the clutch" so bad that u can smell it but after a while I'd gotten better. When it came to my road test man.....I had to drive a non power steering 1000. A PC that just been sitting in yard and don't get used til peak season......fortunately I passed using that piece of ish. I got it so good now that I can float through gears.

When I first started part time a lot of the time I was by myself. I used to play around with the feeder unit before our driver came to work at 9 p.m. I got really brave with it and would take it out on the road and turn it around. One time I had backed it up and hit the brakes only to discover I was about 6 inches from backing into an Econoline delivery van. That was the last time I did that.

atlastitan

I recently bought a 92 toyota pickup with no power steering to learn manual. I am doing pretty decent but parallel parking is a huuuge pain. I feel like I am steering a old renaissance ship. I hope i can acquire enough skill for whenever I get a road test.

Dr.Brownz

First of all, my user-name has nothing to do with Seinfeld.

Second, it's sad that your generation and following generations are losing simple skills like being able to shift gears yourself. What else do you let technology or others do for you?

Hey why let the engine do all the work, why arn't you pulling a cart!?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I recently bought a 92 toyota pickup with no power steering to learn manual. I am doing pretty decent but parallel parking is a huuuge pain. I feel like I am steering a old renaissance ship. I hope i can acquire enough skill for whenever I get a road test.

You bought an old pickup truck just to learn how to drive a manual even though most of the pkg cars in our fleet are automatic?

Ah yes!!! Shifting without a clutch, listening to the whine of the engine and dropping into the next gear at just the right moment. All of us old timers understand what it feels like and enjoyed doing it. To all you millenials I hope you someday get the chance to experience it. I own a '68 Camaro with a m-22 rock crusher and a 2010 with a 6-speed manual. You know the old adage..."If you don't have a clutch...you don't have much!"

browner89

Are you sure?

We have zero manual transmission pkg cars in our center and anyone who goes to driving school will be trained on pkg cars w/automatic transmissions only.

Our fleet for deliveries are 100% automatic in my center, but they keep a handful of ancient manuals in the yard for the road test, and depending on which school you go to, many we use are training on manuals.

raceanoncr

At first, I thought it mighta been a thread about Drivers who had a Helper durng Peak named Manuel.
Then, I thought it was asking the wimmen folks about their first date with a guy named Manuel.
Then I realized what the thread was really posted about!
Been a long week, suffering from UPS Fried Brain Syndrome!

Me too.

Never went out with Manual.

My road test supe was Bob.

Didn't even had a Manual in the bldg.

Can't even imagine how many times a day you push that clutch in?
Remember the "stop counters" they used to put in package cars? The preloaders were required to click it every time they loaded a stop. It was how the sups got an idea of how many stops were in each car. Anyway, I was having knee pain about 20 years ago so I removed one of them and rigged it to my clutch pedal to see how many times a day I had to depress it. I can't remember the exact number, but the clicker had passed 999 and was well into the twelve or thirteen hundreds.

Remember the "stop counters" they used to put in package cars? The preloaders were required to click it every time they loaded a stop. It was how the sups got an idea of how many stops were in each car. Anyway, I was having knee pain about 20 years ago so I removed one of them and rigged it to my clutch pedal to see how many times a day I had to depress it. I can't remember the exact number, but the clicker had passed 999 and was well into the twelve or thirteen hundreds.
I guess it depends on the route. A city route has less miles but tons more stop and go. Regardless... It was alot.