what was your first route?

Purplepackage

Coffee is your friend.

Try being out in the dead of winter when it's dark by 4 and you have still have 2 hours of work and a 45 minute drive back to the building

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My first route was an industrial park and I drove a straight truck with a 24' box. An old tilt-cab Ford with air brakes. I went out everyday blown out with about 400 packages and I would pick up 600+ from my fifty shipping accounts. I had overflow every day and I had to get help getting pickups covered every night. This was in the mid-80s before FedEx Ground, so we owned the market then. The previous driver on that was killed in his personal vehicle, and three new drivers couldn't handle it before I bid on it. I went full-time straight out of the Hub on a bid route, I never had to swing drive.
400 packages blows out a 24 footer? What did you deliver, washers and dryers?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
70-pound weight limits those days. I was handling a thousand boxes a day with little overtime. Probably only three or four hours of OT a week, I would fill it up and head in. It was a warehouse route where you backed up to docks all day and used a pallet jack a lot. My next three routes were mostly residential. I mainly just DR in subdivisions all day now.

Last edited:

BrownThunder

Hopefully by now you have a grasp on your route. I went through it too, having nightmares and :censored2: wondering how on earth one person could handle his route. Now I have that :censored2: mastered and I'm just counting the days until day 30.