What went wrong?

Goldilocks

WWW! Did Fred really know what he had? In the beginning this company had something that most companies did not have. Employees that cared so much about Fedex and it's customers that they would go above and beyond. Pride was flying high. Couriers were treated with respect and we were involved in every part of the operation's decision making. We ran our stations competitively with other surrounding stations making ours the best. What happened?

Well for one thing, about 10 years ago, everything was taken away from us. All decision's were now made by upper management. Peak planning was taken away and given to those who only see what's on paper or a computer. Punch in and Punch out that's it. All decisions have consequences and many made by upper management have simply failed its employees and customers. What do you think happened?

dezguy

Too many desk jockeys at HQ who have never set foot in the cab of a truck, let alone run a route thinking they know how to do the job better than those who have been doing it for years.

Take a look at the equipment we're given to do our jobs in. Vehicles not designed for the work we do. The new powerpads letter keys are so small, my kids would have problems typing out a message on them.

Rhoderunner

Wall Street. As with most big companies the shift in philosophy has gone from taking care of the workforce (raises, good affordable benefits, REAL pensions) to satisfy stock holders. Shareholders demand bigger profits with lower costs. When company execs found that they could also line their pockets all in the name of keeping up with the demands of Wall Street the path was set.

Doc Sorting Dude

The directive that came from above was to cut costs or they'll get someone who'll do it. The public only sees whats at the surface and think FDX IS cutting costs and keeping their workforce intact. FDX is using technology so even Mexican immigrants can do our job (they just have to get DRA wrinkles out) and this is the future of our operations (as mentioned before in this forum). Change and adaptability are forced down our throats.

My biggest gripe about our powerpad is when are they going to get replacement glass on the PPwrpd? It's getting to a point where I can't read any messages because of the worn out part where people sign. If they had only invested in screen savers, it's a miracle we even have glass cleaners!

DontThrowPackages

WWW! Did Fred really know what he had? In the beginning this company had something that most companies did not have. Employees that cared so much about Fedex and it's customers that they would go above and beyond. Pride was flying high. Couriers were treated with respect and we were involved in every part of the operation's decision making. We ran our stations competitively with other surrounding stations making ours the best. What happened?

Well for one thing, about 10 years ago, everything was taken away from us. All decision's were now made by upper management. Peak planning was taken away and given to those who only see what's on paper or a computer. Punch in and Punch out that's it. All decisions have consequences and many made by upper management have simply failed its employees and customers. What do you think happened?

Customer comes up to the truck with cash payment LTR. Taking the time to send a msg over the Dads unit to find out the total price, the customer,only having cash, is .25 short.Don't worry about the quarter and don't worry your letter will get their tomorrow. "But that's all I have. I don't have the quarter". Don't worry, I've got one. " You don't have to do that.....you guys are the best......thank you some much.......thank you thank you thank you".
Yes, almost 20 years ago, that happen but the feelings we had about the company to do something like that are over now. Even though it was only .25 cents, that interaction with that particular customer was a purple promise moment for him. Doing things like this stopped around the same time all the take aways started happening.

Last edited:

TUT

I think all corps have the same underlying issue.

The other was 2008 and coming out of it people are looking for the cheapest shipping possible. Before it seemed like you guys were able to live fat on others paying threw their noses for shipping and well now it's like any other commodity. They want it cheap above all else, fast.... 2nd place.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Customer comes up to the truck with cash payment LTR. Taking the time to send a msg over the Dads unit to find out the total price, the customer,only having cash, is .25 short.Don't worry about the quarter and don't worry your letter will get their tomorrow. "But that's all I have. I don't have the quarter". Don't worry, I've got one. " You don't have to do that.....you guys are the best......thank you some much.......thank you thank you thank you".
Yes, almost 20 years ago, that happen but the feelings we had about the company to do something like that are over now. Even though it was only .25 cents, that interaction with that particular customer was a purple promise moment for him. Doing things like this stopped around the same time all the take aways started happening.

I almost always used to REX packages. Been years since I REXed anything. Why should I make that extra effort? Not going to change my pay either way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Yep. Those were the kind of interactions that made Federal Express different and special. Someday I'll post some of the customer service "above and beyond" from way way back then, compared to the almost nothing I'll do now. Think customers notice? You bet they do. I do nothing beyond that for which I am compensated, which means I drive the truck to the stop, dump the package, and drive away. I'm not paid enough to actually "interact" with a customer. They slow me down and hurt SPH.

bbsam

Staff member
Yep. Those were the kind of interactions that made Federal Express different and special. Someday I'll post some of the customer service "above and beyond" from way way back then, compared to the almost nothing I'll do now. Think customers notice? You bet they do. I do nothing beyond that for which I am compensated, which means I drive the truck to the stop, dump the package, and drive away. I'm not paid enough to actually "interact" with a customer. They slow me down and hurt SPH.
But you seem to take it personally. You're giving the company what they want but you want the company to want to be what it used to be and those days are gone. The company is on a new path. Does it hurt customer satisfaction? Yeah, probably. Not enough that the company cares though.

Goldilocks

But you seem to take it personally. You're giving the company what they want but you want the company to want to be what it used to be and those days are gone. The company is on a new path. Does it hurt customer satisfaction? Yeah, probably. Not enough that the company cares though.

But that goes against how this company started. Long ago on every paycheck was a statement, " A satisfied customer made this check possible" And we did! I really don't believe Fred knew how much we loved this company and took care of it's customers!

Rhoderunner

But that goes against how this company started. Long ago on every paycheck was a statement, " A satisfied customer made this check possible" And we did! I really don't believe Fred knew how much we loved this company and took care of it's customers!
OOH I believe he did!!!! That was his ace in the hole when he started taking this 'new way of business'. He was banking on the sentiment of the old timers. I can hear him in the board room now 'they love this place, they won't fight it'. Now he has most of us by the conjones and doesn't care.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Maybe Fred doesn't care...but the customers do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Been YEARS since I've REX'd something. Why should I get extra revenue for a company who doesn't care about me?

Yep. Why do anything that will net FedEx additional revenue because you know it will never find it's way to you, right? I actively do everything possible to cost FedEx money, like turning away new business and providing minimal customer service. People absolutely are willing to pay more to receive a superior product or service. Not everyone wants to drive a Yugo, so some will pay extra for the BMW. Same thing for the demanding customer who doesn't want to deal with excuses and screw-ups. They'll pay a few bucks more if someone can do it right. FedEx Express is now a Yugo that Fred S wants to sell as a Beemer. It doesn't take long to realize you're not getting what you paid for with Express.

Goldilocks

OOH I believe he did!!!! That was his ace in the hole when he started taking this 'new way of business'. He was banking on the sentiment of the old timers. I can hear him in the board room now 'they love this place, they won't fight it'. Now he has most of us by the conjones and doesn't care.

Yep, It's just a punch in punch out job .

bbsam

Staff member
Yes. Things are not as they were when Express started. I understand that many wish it were, but it isn't and never will be again. Everything that made Express special was icing on the cake. People are no longer interested in icing or cake. They're expectations are lowering to, "Pick up and deliver my damn packages."