What Will It Take To Get The Truth Out On FedEx?

bigbird00

I have had the same convesation with many customers about pay differences with big brown.Most thought we made more.I get a chuckle out of it and tell them maybe ten years ago we were close in pay and benis,but those days are gone.Thats when the beat downs started,and every year we get those 3% wage increases not so called raises our net income goes down,and we are supposed to feel good about. On another note yesterday I ran into GRND driver on my RT. and he showed me a brosure he got from his MGR. showing that there bar code/astra label will be changing to the same as express,meaning they will be able to scan both ground and express which tells me at some point they will be delivering E2 and express saver just like the rumor said about six months ago.Interesting stuff for sure.People first Fred!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have had the same convesation with many customers about pay differences with big brown.Most thought we made more.I get a chuckle out of it and tell them maybe ten years ago we were close in pay and benis,but those days are gone.Thats when the beat downs started,and every year we get those 3% wage increases not so called raises our net income goes down,and we are supposed to feel good about. On another note yesterday I ran into GRND driver on my RT. and he showed me a brosure he got from his MGR. showing that there bar code/astra label will be changing to the same as express,meaning they will be able to scan both ground and express which tells me at some point they will be delivering E2 and express saver just like the rumor said about six months ago.Interesting stuff for sure.People first Fred!!!

That pretty much confirms what R1a and I have been saying for over a year...that XS and E2 will be disappearing very soon.

thedownhillEXPRESS

That pretty much confirms what R1a and I have been saying for over a year...that XS and E2 will be disappearing very soon.

Absolutely, as soon as DRA is working its gone, DRA is designed to have all routes done delivering by 1500 in AA areas.

Shouldn't that be a clue to you naysayers still out there?

Chumpy

Big bird,does it ever cross your mind that maybe one day in the near future we'll walk in one day and be "offered" to buy our routes like Ground and Home Delivery? Has to me! No benefits to pay to Ground or HD. Makes Fed Ex a LOT of dough! $$ first,employees,second! Business plain and simple. If it was you or me and the bottom line? Over the side!

bbsam

Staff member
Big bird,does it ever cross your mind that maybe one day in the near future we'll walk in one day and be "offered" to buy our routes like Ground and Home Delivery? Has to me! No benefits to pay to Ground or HD. Makes Fed Ex a LOT of dough! $$ first,employees,second! Business plain and simple. If it was you or me and the bottom line? Over the side!
Has it ever occurred to you that Fred would find it more desirable to sell those routes to people who had experience as contractors? So, short answer, yes and I still think down the road it will come to pass. You over the side, me, not so much.

vantexan

again you succeed at missing the point. Is it arrogant for the secretary to see the Fedex driver making $45,000 and think that he has it good? I think not. Seems to me that MFE would rather the secretay would empathize with him rather than the other way around.

The secretary doesn't know he's making $45k and she assumes he's doing a lot better than that, more on par with the UPS driver. How do I know that? I've been an Express courier for 23 years of the 25 that I have on the clock, and those are real world conversations I've had dozens of times, heck probably hundreds of times, in cities all over the country. And have heard coworkers mention the same thing more times than I can count. How long have you been an Express courier? You're a businessman, pure and simple, and your goal is to get as much productivity out of your drivers for as little pay as possible. If they struggle on what you pay that's their problem. Don't kid yourself, $25k might not be poverty, but it's a life of restriction and hard choices. I didn't stay in a job that requires me to run like a maniac because I thought it would lead to a miserable existence. And I for one would be content with $50k, but then I don't live in an expensive metro area like many of these guys do. FedEx doesn't owe me a great life, but it should reward me for hard work and faithful service. All they do is take and take, and give very little in return. If you are defending this then obviously you are rationalizing in your mind what your employees go through in order for you to have it good.

bbsam

Staff member
And if that secretary is making 25k, 45k looks alot better. In her mind, with 45k she could easily fix her car. Hell, she'd have a newer nicer one. 45k, 80k, to the secretary making 25k, what difference does it make? She's looking at someone making a hell of alot more than she is.

vantexan

Not unless they can change the Railroad Labor Act and FAA rules. If those didn't matter FedEx would have converted us to the Ground model a long time ago. Why go to all the trouble to keep a union out of Express when you could just have contractors? But reducing Express to just overnight, or close to it, very possible. Won't need so many couriers then.

vantexan

And if that secretary is making 25k, 45k looks alot better. In her mind, with 45k she could easily fix her car. Hell, she'd have a newer nicer one. 45k, 80k, to the secretary making 25k, what difference does it make? She's looking at someone making a hell of alot more than she is.

So why doesn't she apply? We have turnover. That's right, most people don't like to work like we do. That's probably the biggest reason for the turnover, they're surprised by the workload, the stress. The intensity. And by the way, most mid-range employees don't make $45k unless they work consistent overtime. Surprise, they've eliminated most of the OT. And people starting out find out real quick that they'll have to hump all day for $36k and 3% raises. By the time they make it to $45k it won't be worth what it is now and that secretary will be making $38k. So reward the people who do stick with it and hump all day but we know FedEx wants it's cake and eat it too. I'm not asking for the moon, just to be topped out. And after 14 years of consistent hard work, volunteering to work Christmas and everything else needed, volunteering to unload containers for most of the last 5 years, I think FedEx should pay me top pay. They won't, and I've taken on rts that aren't so hard on me now because I'm not going to kill myself after all these years for 2%-3% raises.

Glorifiedpackmule

So why doesn't she apply? We have turnover. That's right, most people don't like to work like we do. That's probably the biggest reason for the turnover, they're surprised by the workload, the stress. The intensity. And by the way, most mid-range employees don't make $45k unless they work consistent overtime. Surprise, they've eliminated most of the OT. And people starting out find out real quick that they'll have to hump all day for $36k and 3% raises. By the time they make it to $45k it won't be worth what it is now and that secretary will be making $38k. So reward the people who do stick with it and hump all day but we know FedEx wants it's cake and eat it too. I'm not asking for the moon, just to be topped out. And after 14 years of consistent hard work, volunteering to work Christmas and everything else needed, volunteering to unload containers for most of the last 5 years, I think FedEx should pay me top pay. They won't, and I've taken on rts that aren't so hard on me now because I'm not going to kill myself after all these years for 2%-3% raises.

More than 7 less than 10 years here. Been a full-time courier at Express for 6 years. Still making under 16 an hour. That comes out to roughly 32,000 a year working less than 40 hours a week. If my wife wasn't also working a full time job we'd be screwed. Plain and simple. I'd be a rich man if I made 45k a year working at Express.

vantexan

More than 7 less than 10 years here. Been a full-time courier at Express for 6 years. Still making under 16 an hour. That comes out to roughly 32,000 a year working less than 40 hours a week. If my wife wasn't also working a full time job we'd be screwed. Plain and simple. I'd be a rich man if I made 45k a year working at Express.

If they push us all under 40 there are going to be a lot of bankruptcies.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
jmo, the lies will end when people turn off their tvs, begin paying attention to real issues, instead of the engulfing themselves in the diversions created by rich and powerful (sports, movies, American Idol, Jersey shore)

...discontinue buying the cheap crap the corporations are peddling in between the "programming breaks" aka , the program... :D

things like that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You know, I had an engineer that has been around a very long time, worked with him as a courier many moons ago tell be that the COURIER has been shafted in many ways by Fedex for so long.

So true. A couple people have hit on the idea that when the takeaways started, the promise and the expectation was that they would be reinstated. They were not, and the pace and number of takeaways increased, always with some reason that sounded plausible. One of the most popular ones was "International Expansion". We needed to sacrifice in order for the company to expand internationally...which it did. We also needed to sacrifice so the company could expand it's range of services through buying-up other companies. So, FedEx moved into trucking, Kinko's etc. Again, we were asked to bite down and take a bullet for the company.

But none of the takeaways were ever brought back, and when Fred killed the traditional pension, only the clueless still "believed". Management has made token sacrifices (the 5% a few years ago, for example), but overall, they have given up very little. Upper management has rewarded itself over and over, and the pilots have also done very well...all at our expense.

Fred S is a psychopath maniacally focused on his goals of profit. He has lied, and continues to lie, and so does his company. It is a house of cards built upon a huge stack of lies, one big con game that is starting to fray at the edges. Eventually, I think Smith will be exposed for the corporate criminal that he is, but that's still a ways off.

For now, he still has those 3 magic letters that make all of this possible....R L A. It's Smith's protective shield that allows him to do as he pleases, and his money ensures that the shield has lots of politicians willing to make sure it doesn't fail.

IsItME

He lacks the ability to comprehend this one. He's bogged down with the salary of the secretary and her feelings when the point was people are confused about courier salary. I'm sure a secretary finding out you make half what she expected.
The secretary doesn't know he's making $45k and she assumes he's doing a lot better than that, more on par with the UPS driver. How do I know that? I've been an Express courier for 23 years of the 25 that I have on the clock, and those are real world conversations I've had dozens of times, heck probably hundreds of times, in cities all over the country. And have heard coworkers mention the same thing more times than I can count. How long have you been an Express courier? You're a businessman, pure and simple, and your goal is to get as much productivity out of your drivers for as little pay as possible. If they struggle on what you pay that's their problem. Don't kid yourself, $25k might not be poverty, but it's a life of restriction and hard choices. I didn't stay in a job that requires me to run like a maniac because I thought it would lead to a miserable existence. And I for one would be content with $50k, but then I don't live in an expensive metro area like many of these guys do. FedEx doesn't owe me a great life, but it should reward me for hard work and faithful service. All they do is take and take, and give very little in return. If you are defending this then obviously you are rationalizing in your mind what your employees go through in order for you to have it good.