What Will It Take To Get The Truth Out On FedEx?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
bbsam, I have a feeling mrfedex is right about you guys getting it. Think about it for a sec. If FDX ground ever gets really big(UPS BIG) Fred and his boys in Memphis will be showing you the door just like they are showing the door to the FDX express employees who built FDX.

Somewhere in your ground scam contract there is a loophole for Fred to show you the door in the not too distant future. You will be too expensive and powerful to keep around. :wink2:

Well said. If Fred can figure a way to keep ISPs at 5 figures instead of 6 figures, he will do it. If bbsam is like most contractors, perhaps he has a little too much attitude to suit Fred's tastes, which are for you to do whatever he wants and like it.

vantexan

On another note yesterday I ran into GRND driver on my RT. and he showed me a brosure he got from his MGR. showing that there bar code/astra label will be changing to the same as express,meaning they will be able to scan both ground and express which tells me at some point they will be delivering E2 and express saver just like the rumor said about six months ago.

Had to dig for it but found it.

STFXG

What's a brosure?

Bro-Sure
When a player act like he's gonna buy something, but both him and the salesperson know he's broke..he requests a "Bro-Sure"
"Yo today me and Tommy went to BMW dealership"
"Thats sick, Did he buy the new 5-series"
"nah man, He only took home the "Bro-Sure"

vantexan

Bro-Sure
When a player act like he's gonna buy something, but both him and the salesperson know he's broke..he requests a "Bro-Sure"
"Yo today me and Tommy went to BMW dealership"
"Thats sick, Did he buy the new 5-series"
"nah man, He only took home the "Bro-Sure"

Went to a forum and an Ebonics lesson broke out...

HomeDelivery

That former Express drivers cannot work for Ground.

only if they quit

from my understanding, if they retire, take the buyout(which will not be offered at all to veteran couriers in the system), or settle a lawsuit out of court then you can't work as a contractor, but for a contractor

I know of one or two former Express couriers that couldn't take the abuse, quit, & switched over to the green-side @ a loss of bennies because they either have another source of passive income, moonlighting at another job (possibly breaking DOT rules), or have a spouse w/ better bennies

DontThrowPackages

its all relative. UPS drivers think you are ignorant for comparing what you do to what they do. Guess what? They're right. No way on hell most Express routes even come close to what UPS drivers do.
Honestly, for the first 7 years, my rte was just as heavy as the brown in my area and harder because I couldn't straight line like they can/do. 600 pieces delivered and 300 to 600 pup everyday. Never did I get paid anywhere near what brown was getting. I realized after a certain time, the company didn't want to top out its employees. Back when everyone had to write codes on the packages, it would only take 3 years to top out. Why do you think they got rid of that policy? Right, so they could stop the top out rate. Its worked very well too. There are couriers all over the country with 10, 15 maybe 18 years and still not topped. And another thing. Some here always bring up the " brown does more than us..." as if this is why we shouldn't be topped out. But what they never say is, our topped out doesn't mean we'll be making what Brown does. Our top is what brown was making 20 years ago.

bbsam

Staff member
Note, if you will, that you are the first to challenge my assertion that, "No way in hell most Express routes even come close to what UPS drivers do." So I am of the opinion that I am correct and your route was in fact the exception to the rule. Agree?

A

Amigonnamakeit

Honestly, for the first 7 years, my rte was just as heavy as the brown in my area and harder because I couldn't straight line like they can/do. 600 pieces delivered and 300 to 600 pup everyday. Never did I get paid anywhere near what brown was getting. I realized after a certain time, the company didn't want to top out its employees. Back when everyone had to write codes on the packages, it would only take 3 years to top out. Why do you think they got rid of that policy? Right, so they could stop the top out rate. Its worked very well too. There are couriers all over the country with 10, 15 maybe 18 years and still not topped. And another thing. Some here always bring up the " brown does more than us..." as if this is why we shouldn't be topped out. But what they never say is, our topped out doesn't mean we'll be making what Brown does. Our top is what brown was making 20 years ago.
Yes i know for sure there are 15 year couriers at my station that are not topped out. Depending on what part of the country you work there are express drivers within 3-5 dollars an hour of UPS drivers.

MAKAVELI

Note, if you will, that you are the first to challenge my assertion that, "No way in hell most Express routes even come close to what UPS drivers do." So I am of the opinion that I am correct and your route was in fact the exception to the rule. Agree?

And UPS doesn't do what we do. They don't unload the trailers, load their trucks, work the pm reload, etc. So it is relative. Our companies operate differently, but that doesn't mean they should have a pay structure that rewards hard work and us not. Agree?

bbsam

Staff member
And UPS doesn't do what we do. They don't unload the trailers, load their trucks, work the pm reload, etc. So it is relative. Our companies operate differently, but that doesn't mean they should have a pay structure that rewards hard work and us not. Agree?
Absolutely. I would say the topout takes far to long to get to, but it should also be significantly lower than $31/hr.

MAKAVELI

Absolutely. I would say the topout takes far to long to get to, but it should also be significantly lower than $31/hr.

It is far below 31 an hour and when you figure in our ins premiums, it's closer to 20. Most of us don't complain about the topout rate just the time it takes to get there. It's sad year after year with ins premium increases you do not see your income go up. It just flat lines .

bbsam

Staff member
It is far below 31 an hour and when you figure in our ins premiums, it's closer to 20. Most of us don't complain about the topout rate just the time it takes to get there. It's sad year after year with ins premium increases you do not see your income go up. It just flat lines .
And that makes perfect sense. Without a union negotiated contract, Express is subject to market prices and for the past 30 years wages have flat-lined for the majority of American wage earners.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And that makes perfect sense. Without a union negotiated contract, Express is subject to market prices and for the past 30 years wages have flat-lined for the majority of American wage earners.

But profits haven't flat-lined for FedEx, have they? The "market prices" line sounds like something from FOX News, and has little to do with the wages we are paid.

The RLA dictates what we are paid, not the market. This handy little piece of legislation is actually a union prevention device (at least at FedEx) and is Kryptonite to any attempt to organize. Please tell me what FedEx Express has to do with a Railway Labor Act? Nothing is the correct answer, by the way. Since the RLA was enacted back in 1934, it pre-dates the "Express Carrier" marketplace by 39 years (Federal Express began in 1973). The only Express Carrier in 1934 was REA, which doesn't resemble FedEx in the least.

The RLA creates a non-market price situation for FedEx, one in which the company pays whatever it feels like, and uses this fact to increase profits even more. Please remember, for the bulk of it's God-forsaken existence, FedEx Express was an incredible profit machine, so your market prices analogy is crap.

Somwhere along the line Fred S decided to really use the RLA for all it was worth. In my mind, this happened when Mary Alice Taylor (aka The Joker) ran the Express division and declared open season on employees. This rancid bitch deserves a special closet in FedEx Hell in my humbe opinion.

So, the topout rate is going to stay ridiculously long (forever to top-out), and the takeaways are going to continue until we start doing something about it. Since the RLA isn't going away, all that can really be done is to slowdown, sitdown, and do the minimum amount possible.

bbsam

Staff member
Let me dumb down the "market rate" bit for you. UPS pays what they pay because of the union contract. No other reason. FedEx has kept wages stagnant for one reason only: because they can. They can fill the positions for what they are willing to pay and do not have to answer to a union. That is "market rate".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Let me dumb down the "market rate" bit for you. UPS pays what they pay because of the union contract. No other reason. FedEx has kept wages stagnant for one reason only: because they can. They can fill the positions for what they are willing to pay and do not have to answer to a union. That is "market rate".

That's what I just said. "Market rate" implies having to answer and/or respond to market forces, which is what you said. FedEx is independent of the market.

vantexan

Not for the past 30. Past 8 or 10, ok. We used to get 6%+ annual raises.

vantexan

In terms of amount of freight most FedEx rts don't compare. But most FedEx rts also have at least several UPS rts within their boundaries. There's only so much a person can do in a day and with greater distances and time pressures the average FedEx courier is under the gun to perform. And in return for that, plus working at least one sort, plus dealing with delayed start times, etc we are expected to just get by with low pay and minimal benefits. Even our Peak is different because even though UPS works hard for Peak, the last few days before Christmas they slow considerably as people rush to get their pkgs delivered on time through FedEx. So they get to enjoy their Christmas while we even work Christmas Day some years. Bottom line if you are trying to justify Ground getting low pay by suggesting we get paid more than we deserve then you truly are not only unfamiliar with what we do but are just as much a businessman as FedEx corporate types who justify stagnate pay and gutted benefits as ok because they were paying us too much anyways. As long as they get their's, and you get your's, all is right in the world, huh?