what work CAN supervisors do??? preload ?

fightingthegoodfight

We are having alot of issues is our center about sups working...what are sups allowed to do on preload? Clean eggress scan check help pull? We are in battle and sups seem to not get it. We just need to know what is ok and what is not ok

Any help or comments please

barnyard

KTM rider
They can supervise. Period.

Anything else should be done be an hourly.

If you say something, most supes will reply, "I am training and when training, I am allowed to demonstrate."

The problem with protesting too loud, is that rather than hire more people, they will add the work load to you.

Nimnim

The Nim
Officially, supervisors cannot progress packages. Be it unloading, sorting, loading whatever. There are exceptions in the name of "training" in an hourly is standing there while the supervisor "demonstrates."

To me though if what the supervisor does takes only a few seconds, a package fell off a belt outside of a feeder into the walk path and they put it back on the belt, it's really not worth grieving. If it's a constant occurrence then either equipment needs to be fixed to prevent the need to keep putting things back on the belt, or someone needs to be hired to cover the area to make sure things are put back on the belt.

barnyard

KTM rider
Every building sees the same thing. Preloading is a tough job, made harder by UPS's impossible to meet standards. In my building, the only time the preload meets their numbers is when someone quits and the preload is short a person. A supe will work the area, but they do not 'count' against the numbers.

From what I have seen, the pressure on a PT preload supe is probably the highest in the company. I believe it is the worst job in the UPS system.

E Roldan

I never get this question. I’m a sorter and sometime you’ll have issues with belts being down(PD2 & 3 ALWAYS!) and you’ve got more boxes coming at you faster than space allows and don’t mind that my Sup comes in and “lends a hand”. Hell sometimes that’s the difference in having packages all over the floor and putting someone in a foul mood cause the unloader doesn’t see/hear what’s going on(damn iPods!). I think it would be different if a Sup was unloading a truck all by him/her self. I say live and let live.

packageguy

We are having alot of issues is our center about sups working...what are sups allowed to do on preload? Clean eggress scan check help pull? We are in battle and sups seem to not get it. We just need to know what is ok and what is not ok

Any help or comments please

They do nothing but play supervisor. When I get in work if supervisors working I grieve it it simple I am not a hard ass just follow the contract, like they do to us

Cementups

Box Monkey
I never get this question. I’m a sorter and sometime you’ll have issues with belts being down(PD2 & 3 ALWAYS!) and you’ve got more boxes coming at you faster than space allows and don’t mind that my Sup comes in and “lends a hand”. Hell sometimes that’s the difference in having packages all over the floor and putting someone in a foul mood cause the unloader doesn’t see/hear what’s going on(damn iPods!). I think it would be different if a Sup was unloading a truck all by him/her self. I say live and let live.

Your unloader shouldn't be wearing iPod headphones either. It's unsafe. Especially if he has the buds in both ears.

Indecisi0n

At my building they always send preload home early leaving packages sitting all over the belt and floor. Drivers normally pick them up and load the few packages in their trucks. My question is technically we are not loaders so can we as drivers just jump in our trucks and leave (leaving loose packages on the belt)?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At my building they always send preload home early leaving packages sitting all over the belt and floor. Drivers normally pick them up and load the few packages in their trucks. My question is technically we are not loaders so can we as drivers just jump in our trucks and leave (leaving loose packages on the belt)?

That's what "sort and load" is for.

No, you can't just "jump in (y)our truck and leave".

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'd stand there and pick every single one up and put it where it goes in the shelf placement, easiest money you'll make besides driving. I wouldn't code it out as "sort in load" unless your sup tells you to. I would also enter in the correct leave building time and don't put in a time because your sup says your AM time is high. Doing this will show there is a problem as it shows on a report as high AM time. Let management fight each other on who's failing at getting the truck loaded as you fighting that battle has less of an impact. Hope this helps them fix your area of the belt, it did mine.

Indecisi0n

I'd stand there and pick every single one up and put it where it goes in the shelf placement, easiest money you'll make besides driving. I wouldn't code it out as "sort in load" unless your sup tells you to. I would also enter in the correct leave building time and don't put in a time because your sup says your AM time is high. Doing this will show there is a problem as it shows on a report as high AM time. Let management fight each other on who's failing at getting the truck loaded as you fighting that battle has less of an impact. Hope this helps them fix your area of the belt, it did mine.

That's normally what I do. Building sup has already said something about my building times. I told him it is what it is. He got pissed and went to my center manager haha.

fightingthegoodfight

Like the day after christmas we all showed up and the hub manager sent someone home because "we had too many people" then i catch the SUP unloading...that is NOT ok...if there is work for sups to do than there is work for hourlies

OptimusPrime

Your unloader shouldn't be wearing iPod headphones either. It's unsafe. Especially if he has the buds in both ears.

Listening to podcasts and music at work the last 5 years PT before going driving was the only thing that kept me sane. Thankfully management gladly turned a blind eye because I would show up, "drop out and tune in" and just sort for 5 hours without raising a ruckus.