What would have you done?

dezguy

I had a rather large, heavy delivery for a nice old lady today. After wrestling it up her porch stairs, she signs and asks me if I would bring it down to her basement for her. Usually I would have asked if someone was around for help since it was over 100lbs but she was a widow and living by herself so I brought it to her basement for her.

As I'm leaving, she hands me a 50 and says thank you. This woman is clearly living on a fixed income so I said thank you but that isn't necessary. I tell all the guys I work with and they all think I'm crazy and would have taken the money. I just didn't think it was right to take money from this lady, who was obviously appreciative of me helping her out but probably could have used that money on something much more worthwhile afterall, $50 is like a quarter of a days work for me. Am I crazy or are my co workers just cold hearted bastards? lol

On a side note, I don't know about anyone elses area's but I find it's the people who can least afford it that are most generous with their money. I know of a few rich people on my route who would have expected me to fight a 100+lbs package into their basement for them.

Give her the money back but allow her to be generous and give you a soda or something.

I've had folks in the past who insisted on my taking money and I always told them to give it to their church or a charity and remember me as they did so.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I had a rather large, heavy delivery for a nice old lady today. After wrestling it up her porch stairs, she signs and asks me if I would bring it down to her basement for her. Usually I would have asked if someone was around for help since it was over 100lbs but she was a widow and living by herself so I brought it to her basement for her.

As I'm leaving, she hands me a 50 and says thank you. This woman is clearly living on a fixed income so I said thank you but that isn't necessary. I tell all the guys I work with and they all think I'm crazy and would have taken the money. I just didn't think it was right to take money from this lady, who was obviously appreciative of me helping her out but probably could have used that money on something much more worthwhile afterall, $50 is like a quarter of a days work for me. Am I crazy or are my co workers just cold hearted bastards? lol

On a side note, I don't know about anyone elses area's but I find it's the people who can least afford it that are most generous with their money. I know of a few rich people on my route who would have expected me to fight a 100+lbs package into their basement for them.
I'm not a religious person, but all good deeds come back around someday. I don't think I'd have taken the money either.

I had an old lady,that always tried to give me a tip. she would get mad when I said NO!.....I told her ,we can't accept cash, but I sure would'nt mind a piece of fruit, from your fruit bowl.....Everybody was happy!...No hard feelings and I ate healthy

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been given a few bucks here and there and my immediate reaction is no thank you and pay it forward. They don't relent so I take the 5 or 10, but 50. That would feel dirty. It's one thing as a xmas tip but not for a little extra effort.

One day in the past, an old veteran asked if I wanted a diet soda, I said sure, sounds good. Waited about 3 minutes, and he gives me a glass with diet coke poured from a 2 liter. Wasn't expecting that. LOL I drank it quickly with some small talk and went on my way. I will rarely ever accept anything, I just tell them I'm very busy and have a lot of stops left. :happy-very:

Sometimes ,some people just want to be nice. Its hard,don't want to insult them. At the same time,you don't want to take advantage.

I had an older gentlemen,with about 40 steps,going to his house. Alaways trying to ge me a buck or two. He would swear at you ,if you didnt take it! ...What
Are you supposed to do?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sometimes ,some people just want to be nice. Its hard,don't want to insult them. At the same time,you don't want to take advantage.

I had an older gentlemen,with about 40 steps,going to his house. Alaways trying to ge me a buck or two. He would swear at you ,if you didnt take it! ...What
Are you supposed to do?
Some older woman outside Aldi's tried handing me a five after I put 4 cases of bottled water in her car for her one day! I politely refused..I didn't do it for a buck...just trying to be nice.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had old people in a retirement community run by city for mostly poor people. Most of those people go there until they die. Many never see friends or family and only contact with outside world are UPS and mailman. They would want to give me things and I usually said no but sometimes I would take small gifts because it made them happier.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I had old people in a retirement community run by city for mostly poor people. Most of those people go there until they die. Many never see friends or family and only contact with outside world are UPS and mailman. They would want to give me things and I usually said no but sometimes I would take small gifts because it made them happier.
That's actually really sad :(

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
But true!, unfortunately
Yes, no doubt. But if I ever live that long....I'd hope to end up in a home with a least a friend who knew me before I was ancient. Someone to trade polident coupons with, play canasta and drink O'douls or something....lol. I'd still hit on the ups guy when he came to deliver the adult diapers :)

Yes, no doubt. But if I ever live that long....I'd hope to end up in a home with a least a friend who knew me before I was ancient. Someone to trade polident coupons with, play canasta and drink O'douls or something....lol. I'd still hit on the ups guy when he came to deliver the adult diapers :)
Im sure,that would make his day\...lmao...poopy

oldngray

nowhere special
Delivering adult diapers can get nasty. Some of those places stunk so bad you could only hope you could hold your breath long enough.