What would it take for you to quit?

packageguy

I find it hard to think of many reasons for me to actually leave my job. Yes it's fun to complain about all the negatives we deal with on a daily basis. I felt like quitting when telematics came in, the idea of being tracked via gps was totally wrong. Then I got over it and learned to adapt. I think video cameras in the truck would make me feel the same way, then I'm sure I'll get over it as well and deal with it. What are your breaking points, if any, that would make you say, "**** it, I'm outta here!"

Good post, I though about what you posted, with 19 years in the books, with about 6 to 7 years left to retire. I am here to the end.

W

want to retire

I would quit today if I was offered something comparable(paywise/benefit) in the aviation field. $100k(cash, after taxes) would also do it. This would pay off my house and daughters college. Then I could probably live off my pension.....maybe. Of course, I've also been asked to quit many times.

A

anonymous6

i'm working here because of a deal i made with the feds. it was either that or 20-25 years in the big house. it's all gravy to me. quit your whining.

A

anonymous6

quit??????? i want to retire at 59, then I plan on living until i am least 100. I want the check writes to wonder 'Is this guy EVER going to kick the bucket?'

i was told that i was gonna live to 96. that gives me 28 years of those retirement checks. yeeha.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would quit today if I was offered something comparable(paywise/benefit) in the aviation field. $100k(cash, after taxes) would also do it. This would pay off my house and daughters college. Then I could probably live off my pension.....maybe. Of course, I've also been asked to quit many times.

Here's a thought. How about your daughter pays off her college?

raceanoncr

I'll just relate what it took ME to quit:

No Bills/credit cards/loans/payments/debts

Basic good health

Pension

SS

Age 63

Last but not least...an inherent laziness that propelled me into this recliner, never to rise again.

over9five

Staff member
I'll just relate what it took ME to quit:

No Bills/credit cards/loans/payments/debts

Basic good health

Pension

SS

Age 63

Last but not least...an inherent laziness that propelled me into this recliner, never to rise again.
You say "laziness" like it's a bad thing....!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Here's a thought. How about your daughter pays off her college?

Ill pay for college after my kid graduates and finds a job in their field of study. Oh and only if I have the extra money laying around.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Ill pay for college after my kid graduates and finds a job in their field of study. Oh and only if I have the extra money laying around.

I have no problem helping out the kids with college costs. I just won't go into debt to the point I have to work until I'm 70. My first left college owing 35K and my other 2 will owe more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no problem helping out the kids with college costs. I just won't go into debt to the point I have to work until I'm 70. My first left college owing 35K and my other 2 will owe more.

My ex and I did not want our kids to start their careers with a burden like that. Both have around $20K of student loan debt.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would think kids would do better, not give up so quickly, when they work a job to pay for their college. If they have no stake in the education, then it's one big party!!

W

want to retire

I hear ya but but 2 kids at UW at 20K each ain't coming out of my wallet.

I guess the difference between you and me is philosophy. My kid didn't ask to be put in this world. I did. I'm responsible. For a reasonable time. For a reasonable amount. It seems lots of people have kids and take no responsibility. It's like they wonder how they got here. OK. I have a good job(so far). I can help get my kid going in life a little easier than I had. In all likelyhood, I'll have to work the rest of my life(anyway). I will help my daughter at least have a fighting chance.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If I had one kid she probably wouldn't owe much. Having 3 is a little more difficult. No way I'm borrowing or working longer so they can go to school. Down the road if I'm sitting pretty I might pay off a portion of their loans, but not at the expense of my retirement.