What would it take?

cancan

We spend so much time downing this company and everything they take away from us. What would it take to make you bleed purple again. For me it would be a track record of progressive raises to top out. Not a one off to pacify the union sentiment. A return to the traditional pension. A new focus on service and profit sharing. And jump seat would be nice but not mandatory. For goodness sake wash my van! I'm focusing on benefits. I know that a lot of managerial structural changes would be needed as well.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
All that and an affordable health plan like we used to have.
I was in a Dr.'s office today that put a sign on the check in counter that says we absolutely do not accept obama care.

hypo hanna

Knowing this is pie in the sky wishful thinking and none of it is likely to pass, I will play along.

I would like to see anyone with 8 years or better automatically topped out.

I would like to see older employees pay caught up to the cost of living index.

I would like to see a decent healthcare plan.

I would like to see a generous buyout offer for hourly employees with 25+ years.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Knowing this is pie in the sky wishful thinking and none of it is likely to pass, I will play along.

I would like to see anyone with 8 years or better automatically topped out.

I would like to see older employees pay caught up to the cost of living index.

I would like to see a decent healthcare plan.

At a bare minimum. They are so far behind the curve of employee satisfaction that they will never catch-up. The first step is to realize there is a huge problem....and they aren't even there yet.

fedupforsure

hypo love the buyout idea(only in our dreams). I agree with all of the above but my top wish would be to get rid of the oss/engineer controlled system and get back to common sense working goals with courier knowledge involvement. this company took a nose dive when they turned everything over to them and their computers.

hypo hanna

At a bare minimum. They are so far behind the curve of employee satisfaction that they will never catch-up. The first step is to realize there is a huge problem....and they aren't even there yet.
Even if hell froze over and they implemented these kind of changes, I wouldn't go back to bleeding purple. These are not the kind of people I could ever trust again.

So here's another for the dream list;
Dump the SFA and replace it with an actual anonymous survey.

DRAisawesome

Start with a pay scale. No one believes me when I tell them fedex does not have one. The healthcare could be slightly improved. Haha. It's so far gone on the pay not sure how they are going to justify soon.

Doc Sorting Dude

Turn the pyramid upsidedown and take suggestions from people in the field and act on it. Why would someone sitting behind a desk think their way is the best way to do anyones route? Ask the courier how best to maximize their route and set DRA to actually follow that grid. Right now DRA is all over the place and inconsistent.

cancan

Even if hell froze over and they implemented these kind of changes, I wouldn't go back to bleeding purple. These are not the kind of people I could ever trust again.

So here's another for the dream list;
Dump the SFA and replace it with an actual anonymous survey.
I agree. Trust and loyalty once exploited and thrown away are almost impossible to earn back. I will also never bleed purple again.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I agree. Trust and loyalty once exploited and thrown away are almost impossible to earn back. I will also never bleed purple again.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Your post reminds me of a quote I read recently that says, 'Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer give a damn'.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm in there with the "couldn't possibly regain my trust no matter what" group (not that they could give a flying fark).....how's that old saying go - "fool me once .........."

but it's not that we'll ever need to concern ourselves with such a scenario anyways of course. This outfit is way too far gone for that.

All I'm doing now is focusing on that 'EXIT' sign.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Your post reminds me of a quote I read recently that says, 'Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer give a damn'.

Great quote. They could never draw me back, and I suspect there are plenty of others who feel the same way. Loyalty is a 2-way street, and on Fred's map, all of the streets run in only one direction...his. This is what you get when you combine greed with an almost complete lack of power to fight back. WAD and not caring are just treating the symptoms here. The "Cure" is the ability to negotiate with Smith contractually, and that isn't going to happen.

In the meantime, Express is just going to keep spiraling downward until it hits bottom. Most stations I'm aware of are still a mess, because Peak volumes haven't really slacked-off and the incompetence of management continues. They act as if everything is fine...it most definitely is not.

cancan

I think of Circuit City when they changed the pay structure and got rid of their most tenured knowledgeable employees. I still think it will take 5 or 6 years to burn off the inventory of smart knowledgeable employees here and I don't think it will be the end of the company. I just think customers will see a clear cut choice between companies and I also believe a third carrier may rise that is focused on service and a strong company culture. There is a regional carrier here that already stole a fair amount of business from us. They have better service and a better price.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think of Circuit City when they changed the pay structure and got rid of their most tenured knowledgeable employees. I still think it will take 5 or 6 years to burn off the inventory of smart knowledgeable employees here and I don't think it will be the end of the company. I just think customers will see a clear cut choice between companies and I also believe a third carrier may rise that is focused on service and a strong company culture. There is a regional carrier here that already stole a fair amount of business from us. They have better service and a better price.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I agree that there is an opportunity for another carrier to step-up and provide a superior level of service through recognizing that a strong company culture matters. Rewarding superior effort goes directly along with a strong company culture of service. One of the biggest reasons the original Federal Express succeeded was an extremely strong corporate culture of superior service. Customers knew that they would receive better care than from UPS, and they were willing to pay the difference. This is no longer the case, and cost trumps service every time, at least as far as Express management is concerned. We still charge a bundle, but Fred wants a WalMart-style employee to be the provider of "great service". It isn't going to happen, even if we are whipped and threatened daily.

However, when you are charging someone high rates for an overnight product that actually needs to be there within a rigid timeframe, customers have every right to expect both superior service and a commitment to do everything possible to ensure their vital package gets delivered as promised.

We're giving them fake promises and very little commitment. In other words, we are screwing them with the poor quality of employees we have and our equally poor service.

HomeDelivery

Turn the pyramid upsidedown and take suggestions from people in the field and act on it. Why would someone sitting behind a desk think their way is the best way to do anyones route? Ask the courier how best to maximize their route and set DRA to actually follow that grid. Right now DRA is all over the place and inconsistent.

that's what happened to one of the hubs i was working out of... after peak, they were optimizing our VRPs back to what the couriers want to run their routes, so there won't be any overlapping of 2 couriers going to the same area

too much common sense for express; they rather have a person behind a desk plan them without any input from the couriers WAD & let them worry about your hours

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Too late for me to ever bleed purple again. This company is run by overpaid superjerks who wouldn't know step one of package delivery. They made the choice long ago to throw us all under the bus come hell or high water so Fred and MT3 can now deal with the concequences.